5 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 4:49 PM by A.T. Romano

soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'

PCNoviceMesa

I am trying to learn more about soundtrack editing. I have reviewed the 4 videos posted by Bill Hunt on May 25,2013. These don't address the simple questions I have. I don't see the utility of the 'bypass' and 'clip volume' functions in the soundtrack, as well as the similar choices of 'bypass' and 'balance' for the balance choice. When I edit the sound for the clip and choose the 'bypass' the sound is identical if I had chosen 'clip volume'. Also when I go to tools/audio mixer/expand smart mixer and then adjust sound track volume,and then click 'apply', the keyframe handles always appear at the same location of the soundtrack. When I then click on bypass the handles disappear, but do not affect the applied  sound. So I am confused by some of the terms and why the key frames always appear in the same place. It looks like once I have applied key frames I can make adjustments, so I then wonder of utility of the bypass and clip volume choices. I am confused by these terms and do not find answers in either the PE12 PDF manual, or the 4 video tutorial posts by Bill Hunt. Still working and having some success...

thanks again to all experts...

OK...10 minutes later the light bulb went on and I now see that the 'key frames' for smart mix are synchronized with the  audio one track.This was mentioned in video tutorials but failed to sink in. so no reply to that. still curious about rest of my question...

• 1. Re: soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoiceMesa

Given

Volume.

0 dB = level of audio as recorded

6 dB = max increase with slider

infinity symbol = essentially muted audio

At the Timeline level, you can set the audio clip rubberband for VolumeClipVolume or VolumeBypass.

If you keyframe the VolumeClipVolume, you can vary the loudness of the sound across the duration of the audio clip.

Let us say you have the volume at 6 dB.for your first keyframe. All you are going to accomplish with VolumeBypass is "turn off" the 6 dB set after you set the keyframes for VolumeBypass to define the area where you want to bypass (turn off) the 6 db volume level and have the volume in this example resume to 0 dB (original volume level of recording).

The white dots representing keyframes are visable for one parameter at a time. You are not going to see VolumeClipVolume keyframes and VolumeBypass keyframes at the same time. What keyframes you see for a given set will be defined by right clicking the audio, selecting Show Keyframes etc. VolumeBypass keyframes indicate On or Off.

In the case of Balance...

The Balance set involves setting the relative volumes between the left and right channels of audio. A + setting makes the right channel volume greater than the left and - setting makes the left channel volume less than that of the right. Here again, all Bypass does is define the area where you do not want the Balance effect set.

Did that help. If not, I will give you more specific examples.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'
            A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

I did not see your add on to your original post until after I had posted my reply.

Did I target any of your question?

ATR

• 3. Re: soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'
              PCNoviceMesa Level 1

Thanks for reply. Now understand 'balance', but am still confused by clip volume and keyframing for audio. I will keep working.

On a related issue: I applied SmartMix for audio and it worked as described, adjusting volume of soundtrack to that of the Audio 1. Then I decided I didn't want it, and tried to remove it. I couldn't find any menu to 'undo' all SmartMix.Can you remove the 'Smartmix' application with one key stroke or must I go thru and delete individual key frames? If I can't 'undo all' with one click, I don't think I will be using SmartMix. Fortuntely I was practicing on a dummy project so didn't ruin my real project.

thanks again. still making some progress...

• 4. Re: soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Regarding undoing SmartMix

Consider....

After you apply the SmartMix, keyframes are placed, see representation of white dots on the audio rubberband of the soundtrack if that is what has been designated as background.

Select the soundtrack file, go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded and click on the Toggle Animation Button. You should next see a pop up "This Action will delete keyframes. Do you want to continue?" Click Yes to that question and the keyframes (SmartMix work) is gone.

SmartMixReal.JPG

The Show/Hide Keyframe Controls icon is for allowing you to get the two sided view of the keyframing area.

The Toggle Animation icon is for starting the automatic keyframing or for terminating it as described.

Please let us know if you are OK with those details.

As for Volume and Bypass, if you are OK with Balance Bypass, then Volume Bypass should be easy. Please think about it some more. If necessary, I will post some examples.

ATR

• 5. Re: soundtrack editing 'bypass, clip volume, and key frame'
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

I finally found your thread in which we talked about Volume:Clip Volume, Volume:Bypass, Balance:Balance, and Balance:Bypass. I thought that I would never find it again in this major updated Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. But, somehow I did. Progress.

Here is the blog post that I wanted you to look at to give you a better view of Balance:Balance and Balance:Bypass.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/05/pe12-audio-features.html

In fact I start a hold new thread on the subject when I thought that I would never find your thread into which to post this current information.

ATR