1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2014 3:23 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Ray Tracing graphic card

bryced87 Level 1

Hello

I have an old Macbook Pro and i'm wondering what the ray tracing warning is that exactly that I'm getting? It says that I need an approved NVIDIA Graphic card and CUDA 5.0 or later. For not Ray Tracing will use the CPU. Macbook Pros can't have thier graphic cards replaced unless I buy a new machine.  Is it crucial I upgrade my graphic card? I can't see the video fine and nothing plays weird etc. Is there anything that Ray Tracing is using on my CPU that's slowing it down and if so will increasing the RAM or getting a SSD drive fix this? It's very slow right now and I'm wondering if that's part of my issue?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Ray Tracing graphic card
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

No, it is not crucial that you get a new graphics card.

The ray-traced 3D renderer is not a feature that you need to be concerned about. It is a minor feature that you can ignore. There are many better ways of using 3D in After Effects, including using Cinema 4D, which is included with After Effects.

If you do insist on trying to use the ray-traced 3D renderer, then you will find that it is very slow on CPU. No, increasing RAM or using an SSD have nothing to do with this (though those are good ideas in general).