14 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 8:36 AM by Vough

Rendering is so slow

Mark8X Level 1

Hi, I've started a thread earlier about an issue with M2TS videos. But now it's affecting all types of videos...

The problem is that when I render any H.264 footage in 720 (typically 10 minutes long) with a simple effect (i.e. sharpen), it will take Media Encoder 5+ hours to render the whole video with this sharpen effect. Same problem with any other effect. I've also tried rendering with AAE, but it's a lot worse.

However, if I don't apply any simple effect. Just an original H.264 video and when I render it, it will take 10 minutes or less to finish.

So, why is this happening? Oh, I also have another issue. Sometimes when I launch any CC program, it crashes instantly but if I re-launch it, it will open fine.

My PC specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k (clocked at 4.3 GHZ)

16GB RAM (clocked at 1333mHZ frequency)

3 HDDs and 1 Samsung SSD (120gb).

AMD Radeon HD 6970 (Black Edition)

Z77X-UD3H motherboard (latest BIOS version).

700 watts PSU

All of my CC programs (Premier Pro, AAE, etc.) are on the latest updates.

Things I have already tried:

Completely disabled indexing for my SSD (since it's where Windows 7 and CC programs / plugins are installed).

Moved videos to my SSD.

Any solution would be appericated.... I'm desperate to fix this and complete my projects quickly before the deadline...

EDIT - This has never happened before... until this week... And the same problem happened when I was on CS6.

• 1. Re: Rendering is so slow
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Flush your caches and do some disk maintenance with defragmenting and removing temporary system files.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rendering is so slow
            Mark8X Level 1

Did all of that: deleted most unnecessary files on ALL of my drives and caches.  I didn't defrag my SSD (not a good idea) but I've used Samsung Magican to optimise the SSD. I didn't defrag my other HDDs though, but I'm not really sure that will fix everything.

So far, no luck. It's pretty strange. My whole computer never lagged when rendering and my CPU usage usually reaches 90%+ while rendering (which is normal) and in the meanwhile, I've just checked the temps of my CPU (top max C was 50 or something), which is also normal. I had built this PC for gaming back in early 2011.

I have a question: when you apply an effect to a video, is that the job of a CPU or video card? Or both? Or RAM?

I haven't tested if my video card is working properly yet. But I can view and navigate full HD 1080p playback smoothly (without any effect) in Adobe PP or AAE. However, like I said before, when I apply a simple effect to the video, all hell breaks loose.

I've had this same problem with CS6, Same problem with CC now.

Any other solution can you think of... ?

I just don't want to re-clean my whole system and re-install windows and pray that will work. But I'll do all of that if any other solution doesn't work.

• 3. Re: Rendering is so slow
              Mark8X Level 1

"

Maybe this will help http://editingcorp.com/methods-to-speed-up-adobe-after-effects/"

Yeah, I've already done all of that... Except, I've just noticed a difference:

In "Memory & Multiprocessing" tab of the "preferences" thing, I've noticed that my "Actual CPUs that will be used" shows zero... In other words:

Actual CPUs will be used: 0

I can't seem to change it to 4 or something.

Why is this? I already have 8 cores because of my processor.

• 4. Re: Rendering is so slow
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mark8X wrote:

I have a question: when you apply an effect to a video, is that the job of a CPU or video card? Or both? Or RAM?

CPU in most cases. However, it depends on the effect. Element 3d and some other third-party plugins may make use of the GPU, but the CPU bears the load of render almost all effects. RAM plays a part as well if you have assets in your project.

Have you accidentally turned on the ray-traced renderer for your compositions?

Could we see a screenshot of your Memory & Multiprocessing settings?

• 5. Re: Rendering is so slow
                  Mark8X Level 1

Any effect (even the basic ones by Adobe) has the same render problem (6 hours+). It's a lot worse on AAE.

I don't have Element 3d.

I don't use ray-traced renderer. Just the default one.

This same problem I have also happens with Premiere Pro. Same issue: very long render times with any effect.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/2582/39nc.jpg

• 6. Re: Rendering is so slow
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

On your screenshot, I see that you have zero cores reserved for other applications... like the operating system, which isn't good.

What happens if you turn off multiprocessing and try a render?

• 7. Re: Rendering is so slow
                      Mark8X Level 1

The multiprocessing feature was disabled when I had this problem. So, I've enabled it and tried a render, same difference.

• 8. Re: Rendering is so slow

Sounds like something is wrong somewhere.

Let me make sure I understand.

In After Effects, it renders just fine if you have a simple video file in a composition, but as soon as you apply any effect the render starts going really slowly?

Any effect at all? Levels? Brightness/Contrast? Curves?

What if there's no video and you just have a solid in there and then you apply an effect to the solid?

In Premiere, it renders just fine if you have a simple video file in a sequence, but as soon as you apply any effect the render starts going really slowly?

Any effect at all? Fast Color Correction? Broadcast Colors? Levels?

And this happens in both CS6 and CC?

When did this start happening?

• 9. Re: Rendering is so slow
                          Mark8X Level 1

Yes. If I render an original footage with the same settings (same codec, etc), the render time will be typically between 20 mins and 40 mins.

If I applied ANY effect, the render will take 6 hours+

• 10. Re: Rendering is so slow

Mark8X wrote:

Yes. If I render an original footage with the same settings (same codec, etc), the render time will be typically between 20 mins and 40 mins.

If I applied ANY effect, the render will take 6 hours+

That's odd.

• 11. Re: Rendering is so slow
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did I miss your OS version? Did I miss your CC version? CC should definitely be completely up to date.

What changed? New software? New virus scan update? If your system used to work fine and now it doesn't then something changed.

• 12. Re: Rendering is so slow
                                Vough

Sorry, I'm the same user as I just changed my name.

I use Windows 7 (on latest updates of course.)

I use ESET Smart Security.

Yes, all of my CC are on latest updates.

I don't have much other applications installed.

When I uninstalled the ESET software completely (by using thier cleaner tool), the problem still remains.

I tested my RAM sticks by using memtest86 and the result said "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit":

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/8722/pyfb.jpg

I even re-installed W7 and CC only. At that time, all of my hardware drivers were updated (I installed them via a usb stick). The rendering speed problem still remains in CC. It's not just CC, CS6 is the same.

I tested the speed of my SSD, and the result looks fine:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img835/6636/544x.jpg

I tried changing the settings in my Multi processing but the problem still remains:

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/9408/jn5b8.jpg

So, my RAM, SSD and Video Card definitely ruled out.

Is it my CPU? My motherboard (something to do with I/O bandwidth)?

Actually! I was wrong about my 700watt. I'm actually using a 650watt Corsair one (one of the good ones).

Note that I only have 1 SSD, which brings me to another question: what's the best way for me to improve performance? put cache files on SSD. Put source footage on the same SSD and only render it to one of my fastest HDDs? I've found out that my E: (regular 3 TB HDD) is the fastest out of my other HDDs. All of my HDDs aren't hybrids. What's the best way?

A few days ago, I've had even purchased a GTX 780. I know that it won't speed up the normal renders (non-3d ray tracing) but still...

I may be wrong but from what I read, it'd be ideal to have 2 SSDs (one for cache, another one for rendering footage to). But I cannot afford to buy another SSD at the moment...

Ok, here's my updated (only GPU changed) and corrected spec:

i7 2600k @ 4.6 GHZ **

16GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 800MHZ (I think I overclocked it to 1666mhz) - 9-9-9-24 **

Z77X-UD3H MOBO

GTX 780

650WATT Corsair PSU

Samsung SSD 830

3TB Seagate

3TB Western DIgital

1TB Samsung

Even when I change them back to stock speeds, the same problem still remains.

• 13. Re: Rendering is so slow
                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue.  When you reinstalled your Adobe apps, did you first run the Adobe Cleaner app to remove every last vestige of the old install?  And did you temporarily disable your antivirus software while downloading and installing these Adobe files?

• 14. Re: Rendering is so slow
                                    Vough Level 1

Yes to both.