4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 6:04 AM by rob day

Pasting versus placing images?

EmmiVisser

Hi everyone,

Just trying to get something straight. In the recent past I have been creating textbooks with elaborate lay-out (and lots of photos) in iWork Pages '09. As Pages is limited, I used Acrobat to convert the resulting PDF into a printer-friendly document. We're talking professional printing here.

Now I want to learn InDesign because frankly it is more suited for professional printing than Pages. However, I really miss the 'picture frame' option in InDesign, which Pages does offer. Basically it puts my pictures in an attractive picture frame with one click.

So I found out I can just put my photos in Pages, add the picture frame and then copy-paste in inDesign and the picture frame comes with it. Which is great, except it's not a linked image but a pasted image - I think? So it weighs down my document?

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed happening the way I think it is? And does anyone have a solution? One of the advantages of inDesign (I believe) is that it links the images, so working in a document doesn't slow down so much after adding 100+ images of 1-2 MB each. This way I lose that advantage. Yet I don't want to give up my picture frames!

Sorry if this sounds like ridiculous newbie-talk. I'm only just getting used to InDesign.

• 1. Re: Pasting versus placing images?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Never use copy and paste to place images, use only File > Place or drag & drop from Finder or Bidge.

Frames from Pages are useless in InDesign. You don't need to create a frame before placing an image it is created automatically when placed.

• 2. Re: Pasting versus placing images?
            EmmiVisser Level 1

Thanks for your answer, but you're kind of missing the point. Frames in InDesign are ugly. All you can do is create a line or a dotted line around a photo, basically. In Pages I can choose from a couple dozen graphic frames: making it look like the photo is a physical photo lying on the page or part of a photo album with those little corners, that sort of thing. It simply looks breautiful and professional. And if that's too much, I can choose any of about a dozen different 'freestyle' strokes as a border around the photo, creating a lovely effect of their own.

I can't seem to find any way to replicate that kind of effect in InDesign except by copy-pasting from Pages. Maybe I'm missing something though?

I've added a screenshot of the sort of picture frames I am referring to.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 21.04.52.png

• 3. Re: Pasting versus placing images?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Do it in Illustrator or Photoshop, but not copy and paste. Page frames have never a high printing quality.

• 4. Re: Pasting versus placing images?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which is great, except it's not a linked image but a pasted image - I think? So it weighs down my document?

Export a Pages page with the frame as a PDF and place the PDF:

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 9.03.39 AM.png