4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 4:25 AM by SpencerCarpenter

Ideas about electric effect

SpencerCarpenter Level 1

Hello,

Just thought I'd put this out there to see if any good ideas come back.

I need to create a 3d lightning effect where the lightning hits a trainer (footwear) and then the lightning runs over the surface of it all while a camera is orbitting it.

I'm thinking i can create the electricity with particular with a wiggle(ing) emmiter over a path but I'm not sure how to make it run over the surface of the trainer.

The trainer asset will be rendered in c4d and I will have acess to cineware.

The trick will be to create the effect of the lightning without resorting to embedding the lighting effect into the texture on the trainer 3d model since that won't have any seperation from the surface...

Anyway thanks in advance for any ideas.

Spencer

• 1. Re: Ideas about electric effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Create a Null object or light  that follows the surface in C4D and export it via AEC/ extract it through cineeware and reference it in Particular.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Ideas about electric effect
            SpencerCarpenter Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. That makes sense and I was thinking along the same lines using c4d paths around the surface of the trainer.

I guess if I export the nulls/lights neatly following the surface then when I bring them into ae I should be able to add the wiggle and tune the timing in ae.

My only issue is the setup time. I was wondering if there is another method where I can make use of a proxy mesh of the surface exported as an obj maybe using form or something else. All I may need for filling shots is the ability to use simple directionality like you'd expect with a gradient control.

Anyway thanks again for any input here

Spencer

• 3. Re: Ideas about electric effect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not aware of any way to do this just with AE plug-ins. Element 3D can create some Null objects based on a loaded object, but this functionality isn't particularly sophisticated and precise nor can it be animated. You'd still end up writing custom code and doing lots of expressions.It realyl hinges on prepping the file in C4D suitably...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Ideas about electric effect
                SpencerCarpenter Level 1

OK thanks again for your input.