22 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 11:01 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Dave's iMac

Cannot drag/move jpg (img 1232) past current time indicator (red) on any of the available tracks ... it does nothing ... I can only drag/move asset around before the current time indicator ... why

This would make my work useless !!! Please help!

Newly installed as iMac OSX 10.8.5

Premiere Elements 12 directly downloaded from Adobe site (purchase version)

• 1. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Your question makes almost no sense. (Actually it is no question, except "why")

What exactly are you trying to do and what is happening when you do it?

Are you ensuring that any photos you use in Premiere Elements are less than 2000x1500 pixels in size?

• 2. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
            Dave's iMac Community Member

Hi

I am trying to cut a video using Iphone 5s videos, Nikon DSLR jpgs and Iphone 5s jpgs.

I am just starting to build my video with these assets by dragging and dropping them in 'expert' mode.

I've imported these data files and they are now currently in PE 12 as assets ... I do like I normally do with my previous PE 10 i.e. drag jpgs and build the video in 'expert' mode.  Today is my second day using PE 12 and I can't drag/move jpgs past current time indicator (red line) on any of the available (empty) tracks in 'expert' mode.  I can only drag/move jpgs anywhere prior to the current time indicator (red line) which is of no use to me in terms of building a video.

Is the photo pixel size an issue with PE 12? ... If so, why? ... because I've never encountered this problem before in PE 10.

• 3. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
              Steve Grisetti MVP

The size of the photos may be an issue.

Or it may be an issue with Premiere Elements on OSX Mountain Lion.

Any reason you haven't upgraded to Mavericks? It might be worth doing so and then uninstalling and reinstalling the program to get the bugs out. (You won't lose any work in progress when you do.)

• 4. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Thx Steve for your reply

I actually googled on the PE size limitation - my jpgs range from 2.5 Mb to 8Mb and pixel sizes on average bigger than what you indicated above.

I think it is the pixel size issue because I know the few jpgs that did made it in my vid were Iphone 5s jpgs and the one I am currently having trouble is an enhanced Nikon D7000 jpg (via Photoshop Elements 12) with size of 6.8Mb and 3264x2448 pixel size

I am thinking perhaps I need to do batch pixel size reduction run on all my jpgs first - which freeware would you suggest is best to do this job?

Ultimately, I would like to cut this video to Youtube, with max resolution of course.   And is there a way to check my project setting (I've fogotten how) to ensure it matches my various data files - Iphone 5s videos (in both 30fps and 120fps), Nikon D7000 jpgs (above) and Iphone 5s jpgs.

Thanks so much ...

* I will upgrade to Mavericks if I need to ...

• 5. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                  Steve Grisetti MVP

I don't know of freeware that will batch resize -- though I'm sure it's out there.

You can certainly do it with Photoshop Elements, by selecting the Process Multiple Files tool under the File menu.

You'll find a free tutorial for using this tool on my web site by doing a search on Process Multiple Files, as I've done here.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=process+multiple+files&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

• 6. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                    A.T. Romano Community Member

Dave

Added options to SG's suggestion of Photoshop Elements Full Editor/Process Mulitple Files.....

Since I am strictly an Elements Windows user, I will filter the following batch resize possibilities through SG who is a Elements Mac user.

1. The Mac Computer "Automator"

http://www.mactip.net/how-to-resize-batch-images-mac-automator/

2. Premiere Elements 12 Mac Elements Organizer 12

File Menu/Export As New Files

More details to follow if needed. But, consider that batch cropping may be need as well as batch resize depending on the view wanted and whether you are going from 3:2 or 4:3 to 16:9.

ATR

• 7. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Steve ..

I used the PE 12 batch resizing to do a test on a batch of six jpgs and successfully resize the jpgs.

I then re-import the resized jpgs into Premiere E 12 project assets, then tried dragging/adding re my second posting above.

I am getting the same results as if resizing exercise did not make any difference.

I then upgraded the OSX to Mavericks , still I am getting the same results.

I have come to a dead end.  Is there any possibility that my project settings is wrong? 

If this is some kind of App bug, I will be forced to ask for a refund ... this is utterly disappointing and frustrating to say the least ...

• 8. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                        nealeh Community Member

Can you, in Expert mode, press the backslash key \ and then post a screenshot of your timeline. Note that you must visit the forum with a web browser to add images, images included with e-mail posts are automatically stripped out.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 9. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                          Steve Grisetti MVP

There really are no "wrong" project settings for photos. it all depends on what you're planning to output your slideshow as.

Try this. Do a Save As and save your project under a different name -- and make sure to do it inside a new folder, so that only this project is in that folder. Then try adding your photos.

BTW, Adobe has also released a patch for Mac OSX versions of the software. Have you installed it? Also, be sure to check for corruptions on your drive and in your font set, per this article.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/940869?tstart=0

• 10. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

nealeh

I have never seen the backslash key \ used to do a screen capture in Windows. Is this a Mac feature to which you refer?

On all my keyboards used for my Windows based computers, it is the "Print Screen Sys Rq" key that I use for a screen capture "copy" that I can paste into Photoshop Elements new blank document or elsewhere (not into Premiere Elements)..

With Premiere Elements Expert workspace and the backslash key \ all I am getting as a toggle of the view of the Timeline (expanded vs non expanded).

Please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

SG

There is a better project preset for photos in contrast to a wrong one.

Generalized version of the concept.

I and others have found, especially in Premiere Elements 11 and 12, that the preferred project preset for photos that have been downsized to 1920 x 1080 or there abouts according to the do not exceed is

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

or its PAL counterpart.

The end product (file saved to hard drive) or the burn to disc (especially DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc) seems to be consistently sharper and better quality than using other project presets such as NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen (or PAL counterpart) or NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (or PAL counterpart.

ATR

• 12. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

I tried save as new project name in a different folder - no difference , same error ...

I've installed all the updates from Adobe

Interesting that you mentioned font set ... the first time I've encountered a corrupted file error with PE 12, I proceeded to delete all questionable fonts and I couldn't open the App altogether ... I had to undo the deletes and put the font back before the App started working and it didn't give me any errors indicating missing fonts ... this is a basic error-handling 101 !

I will reply with a screen shot ...

• 13. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Ok ... I am attaching the image here

PE12 timeline.jpg

• You may need to zoom into the screenshot to see current time indicator and where the red line is
                                  • As you can see this is a very simple start, and all i am trying to do is to drag jpgs from my project assets to any of the empty Video 'x' tracks to the right of the red line, in order to build out the video
                                  • Every time I tried it ... its being ignored as if the action is being processed but declined with no reason
                                  • I did however managed to drag same jpgs to the left of the red line, which is obviously useless
                                  • 14. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                                    Steve Grisetti MVP

I really have no idea what would cause this, Dave. But I see ATR has joined the discussion. Perhaps he can help you work through this issue.

• 15. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Thx everyone for contributing ... I am wondering when its time to call in Adobe PE 2nd or 3rd level support?

Say using Webex session to demonstrate the problem etc ...

• 16. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Dave

Whatever you decide, please keep watch on how many days from date of purchase so that you do not lose any rights to 30 day money back from Adobe if you purchased from Adobe.

I had some thoughts for some areas to look into in your situation.

You have asked several time if you are using the correct project preset. I do not see that any one has responded to that question. I am assuming that your iPhone 5s is recording H.264.mov or.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ up to 30 progressive frames per second. The frame rate is probably up to 30, meaning variable frame rate. So, where is the 120 frames per second video coming from? I would manually set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Details for manually setting the project preset are in the How To section of

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

The use of video with variable frame rate has created all sorts of issues besides audio out of sync with Premiere Elements. It could be the iPhone 5S video that is creating the problems, but.... Have you taken the time to  remove selectively and sequentially types of media from the tracks to determine if such removal would then allow you to place additional media from Project Assets to Timeline wherever you want?

If you implicate the iPhone 5S video in the issue, you could take it into a program such as HandBrake and change the file's variable to constant frame rate and export it from there as 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second H.264.mp4 file. Then try it in your project.

The party line is that you cannot change the project preset once it has been set for a project. We can go into that later. By the way, if you start a new project, is the problem of placing source media where you want in the Timeline still there?

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 17. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                                          Steve Grisetti MVP

Sorry, just one more point.

Did we determine yet if you are editing with your Mac in Retina mode?

Many issues have been traced back to that. Try turning it off and see if that solves this problem.

• 18. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Hi ATR ... thx again for your reply and reminders

I am within the refund period, and I have decided to return based on the following

• I think my setting is what you have indicated
                                            • It may be entirely possible that the issue is related to IP5S 120fps vid ... there is one indeed in the current timeline
                                            • I have a number of these that I want to integrate into this master vid and that converted back down to 29.97 fps is not an option as I need this as part of my slo-mo look and feel
                                            • If this is indeed a root cause ... I must say I am very disappointed since this is v12 and not some old version and I don't think 120fps is exactly bleeding edge of high frame rates i.e. RED? ... I know, nobody would use PE12 to edit if they have using high-end RED equipment

Combining above with initial false start ending with inexplicable 'corrupt files, can't open' errors, have pretty well exhausted my patience.

Thank you once again and everybody else who chimed in.  If anything, I am glad to have this forum to share thoughts and vent frustration.

Rgds

• 19. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                                              nealeh Community Member

A.T. Romano wrote:

nealeh

I have never seen the backslash key \ used to do a screen capture in Windows. Is this a Mac feature to which you refer?

No it's a two step process.

• \ in PRE ensures the whole timeline is displayed
                                              • Then a request to Dave to post a screenshot of that complete timeline.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 20. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?
                                                nealeh Community Member

If you have not yet uninstalled it, remove the audio file from Audio 1 and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

Dave

Thanks for reading my post and for the follow up.

Best wishes on whatever your video editing plans may be. We were glad of the opportunity to try to be of assistance.

Would have liked to have seen the outcome of the my plan for selective and sequential removal of Timeline components to rule in or out problems from the source media types (post 16 of your thread). But, I understand your decision not to pursue any further troubleshooting on this matter and move forward in another direction.

ATR

• 22. Re: premiere elements 12 - cannot move assets past current time indicator ... why?

nealeh

In reply to your post numbered 19 in this thread....

Thanks for the clarification on what you wrote in post 8

in Expert mode, press the backslash key \ and then post a screenshot of your timeline

I asked you about this in post 10 since I got the impression from what you wrote that you were suggesting \ for the screen capture/copy function instead of the known the print screen key for that function. I though maybe you were describing a maneuver specific to Mac computer which I do not have.

ATR