10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2017 11:41 PM by Akshatv1984

CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?

chuck farris Level 1

What matters most in a CUDA card for CC:

- Number of CUDA cores

- Amount of VRAM, or

- Memory bandwidth

How are they ranked in importance (for Premiere CC)?

ie:

GTX 780 3GB

CUDA Cores: 2304

3 GB GDDR5

Memory Bandwidth: 288.38 GB/s

(Less RAM, more cores, higher bandwidth)

-or-

GTX 770 4 GB

CUDA Cores: 1536

4 GB GDDR5

Memory Bandwidth: 224.3 GB/s

(more RAM, fewer cores, less bandwidth)

Which is the better card for Premiere?

Thanks for any accurate insight you can offer!

• 2. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
          chuck farris Level 1

Thanks for the article.

"Performance of a video card is mainly based on memory bandwidth, so a higher clock speed will improve performance over slower clocked cards..."

"Selecting from many brands of video cards should, apart from price / warranty, be based on memory bandwidth."

So bandwidth trumps all else, including CUDA cores?

• 3. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
            cc_merchant Level 4

That is how I read it. Did you also see the part about the amount of VRAM?

Luckily EVGA today (03-24-2014) accounced the 6 GB version of the GTX 780, making it even more attractive for high-end systems. No news yet about a GTX 780 Ti with 6 GB.

• 4. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

chuck farris wrote:

What matters most in a CUDA card for CC:

- Number of CUDA cores

- Amount of VRAM, or

- Memory bandwidth

How are they ranked in importance (for Premiere CC)?

That depends on your media.  If you are editing UHD (4K and above) then amout of VRAM is the first criteria.  I do not think I ever have run out of VRAM editing my simple AVCHD media with my 2GB VRAM boards.

• 5. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
                chuck farris Level 1

cc, yes I saw the part about VRAM and the 6GB 780.

(I probably should have initially said that I have a GTX570 2.5 GB).

Thanks for the article and reply, Bill (when did Harm retire?).

I edit maybe 80% AVCHD (my C100), but also 50 Mb/s Canon XF (C300), AVC-Intra 100, DVCPRO HD, 50mb/s  XDCAM HD and occasionally 2K.

I actually have no serious complaints with my 6-core 3.33 Mac Pro.

Just looking for a little snappier response, less/faster timeline rendering, and perhaps a little quicker encoding (though I guess that's more CPU).

Upgrade GPU and squeeze another 3 years out of my system?

No 4K at this time, so I guess no need for the 6GB 780. Yet.

But perhaps nearly quadrupling the number of cores and increasing bandwidth almost 150% on the 4 GB 780 will help. Or won't...   :^)

• 6. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?

chuck farris wrote:

Thanks for the article and reply, Bill (when did Harm retire?).

Just looking for a little snappier response, less/faster timeline rendering, and perhaps a little quicker encoding (though I guess that's more CPU).

Upgrade GPU and squeeze another 3 years out of my system?

Harm pulled out when Creative Cloud was introduced.  He and many others (including me) do not like paying Adobe for the rest of our lives.

Just how many MPE accelerated effects and features do you use?  Is your AVCHD and/or any other HD media scaled down (like producing DVD's) and you upgrade the GPU, encoding/exporting times will be slightly faster.   What version of Premiere?

I seriously doubt that you will see a VERY NOTICABLE level of performance improvement by upgrading your GTX 570 with a later model. 

Go to Harm's Tweakers Page/Video Codecs page and scroll down to the PC Requirements graphic and notice specifically the disk requirements for your AVC-Intra is very high.  How many disk drives do you have, how are they used, and do you have any RAID or SSD's?

• 7. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
                    chuck farris Level 1

That's too bad about Harm- loss of quite a resource there.

I'm on CS6, moving to CC very soon (are you on CC, Bill?).

Hmm... MPE accelerated effects and features, i'll have to get back to you on that.

I only use AVC-I a couple of times a year, so no big deal I guess.

4 HDDs (following Harm's recommended 4 disk setup), no RAID (yet), no SSDs (yet). Trying to figure out how to optimize that situation, perhaps primarily for AVCHD workflow. Suggestions?

What's your drive setup, Bill? And thanks for all your responses and info!

• 8. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?

I especially miss Harm!

I do all my projects on CS6 as that is the only version that Adobe allows a permanent license.  I am retired and have only limited financial resources.  I do currently have a complimentary one year CC license that will run out soon and then I probably will not be able to run my PPBM7 tests.

My drive setup depends on which computer you are asking about.  My latest computer is a Windows laptop which has two SSD's and I run the media on a very fast (read operations) USB3 flash drive.  I do also have two desktop PC's available.  I am afraid I cannot help much for Mac's.  I just found a great PCIe SSD device but the list of supported OS's is:

"Windows 7 x86 / x64, Windows 8 x86 / x64, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Linux series, Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu"

No mention of OSX

• 9. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
                        UlfLaursen Level 2

Well, Bill, Adobe should give you a free CC license compared to all the hours you have put in helping out other people here with their product..

Ulf

• 10. Re: CUDA Card Specs- CUDA Cores vs VRAM vs Bandwidth?
                          Akshatv1984

The number of CUDA Cores matters a lot. After that memory bandwidth and memory speed matters. Also GPU architecture works in proportion to CUDA Cores because a graphics card having latest GPU architecture but a bit less CUDA Cores is usually more powerful than a older GPU architecture card having slightly higher number of CUDA Cores.