6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 8:54 PM by A.T. Romano

What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?

TomVideo4477

What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11 when words or paragraphs have to be repeated?

• 1. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just as you would a video clip.

Slice and remove what you what you dont' want.

• 2. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
            TomVideo4477 Level 1

Thank you. Key for me is to do most of the audio editing in the asset section before putting it in the narration track.

Tom

• 3. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TomVideo4477

Could you clarify for "...do most of the audio editing in the asset section before putting it in the narration track..."?

When you create a narration with the program's Narration Tool, the narration goes automatically to the Narration Track. So, how are you doing the "...before putting it in the narration track.." part? By any chance are you creating narration in a 3rd party software and importing it into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements 11's  Add Media/Files and Folders?

If so, what are you doing...double clicking the import in Project Assets to bring up the Preview Windows where you trim the audio with the Set In and Set Out points there?

ATR

• 4. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
                TomVideo4477 Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Yes I recorded the narration with a Tascam 8-track digital recorder using a high-quality microphone.  I then imported the resulting WAV files to my computer. 

I recorded the soundtrack, an original piano melody, the same way.

The video was recorded without sound.

So I have three elements to combine for this AV project – video, voice narration and music soundtrack. The problem I was having involved how to edit each track. If they are all put in the timeline, I found it difficult to cut words or paragraphs in the narration without editing the video instead. But I think doing the preliminary editing in the Project Asset section makes the editing easier, although I still have to so final editing in the timeline so that the video, narration and soundtrack fit together.

This is a fairly complicated project involving a fly-over of each hole on a golf course using a video camera attached to a drone helicopter. The narrator describes each hole and how best to play it while a light piano melody plays in the background.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

• 5. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
                  TomVideo4477 Level 1

Hi again A.T.,

Basic question: When I am in Project Assets and double click a file to bring up Preview Window, I can use “Set In” and “Set Out” -- but how do I trim?  The “delete and close gap” option in the edit menu does not work. Do I have to move the file to the Narration Track on the Timeline to do the actual trimming?

• 6. Re: What is the best way to EDIT a voice narration in Premiere Elements 11?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TomVideo4477

The rough description of Preview Window trimming..

a. double click clip in Project Assets to bring up Preview Window

b. move Timeline indicator to beginning of section, hit Set In; move Timeline indictor to end of section, hit Set Out.

c. next you can drag the segment from the Windows to the Timeline audio track and/or drag the segment from the Preview Window to Project Assets to become part of the project's media.

The following should give you some thoughts on the above.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Although more from a video trimming perspective, the principles apply to an audio clip as well.

Now "delete and close gap" can be interesting depending on what is around the area involved.

Please check out the details on that in the following.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-delete-and-close-gap-failures.html

Not sure I am clear on

The “delete and close gap” option in the edit menu does not work. Do I have to move the file to the Narration Track on the Timeline to do the actual trimming?

You should be able to trim the narration in the Preview Window opened by right clicking the narration clip in Project Assets and then drag the segment to an audio track or narration track or dragging the trim to Project Assets for source media.

Please check out the above and then let me know if you are OK with the information. If not, let me know where I need to clarify what I have written.

Thanks.

ATR