9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 7:05 AM by A.T. Romano

sound export problems? Mono

maximed66

When I export my project the sound is mono. In my project evrything is stereo even when I listen to it, but as soon as I export it's in mono. Itried .av. hd, mp4 everything and it's always mono. Any solution?

• 1. Re: sound export problems? Mono
          A.T. Romano Level 7

maximed66

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you dealing with audio lined to video on your Timeline? What is the audio...mono, 2 channel, or 5.1 channel according to a properties readout before the file see Premiere Elements?

What are your export settings under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the preset that you are selecting? If you have tried several, pick one so that we can work on it together in detail.

There are audio effects (Fill Left or Fill Right) that can be applied to an audio clip to correct certain channel issues. But, I want to make sure of the import as well as the export before going in that direction.

If you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask. But, the answers will be in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: sound export problems? Mono
            maximed66 Level 1

thanks

sorry about my english I'm french canadain... :-)

I'm using Premier element 10 on windows 7. On my timeline the audio is stereo (2 lines) and I can listen to it in stereo too. The audio is perfect on the timeline, it's only when I export it that it become mono. Usually I work in .avi. I used PE 4 too to try and it's working well for the sounds but I woulld like a better image (HD) with premier 10. All the sttings is alright for the audio too. Thansk for your help

maximed66

• 3. Re: sound export problems? Mono
              A.T. Romano Level 7

maximed66

Thank you for the reply.

There are at least two ways we can go to point to the cause of the problem....

a. You can take one of your export files and run it through a properties readout program to see how the audio is described...mono or stereo or other. For this, you can use the free MediaInfo (Tree View). If that tells us Stereo, then we know that the program is producing a export with Stereo in spite of what you are hearing from the speakers.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just be careful with downloads that you do not get any unwanted carry alongs with the wanted program.

b. If you could post what you are seeing in the Export Settings under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the preset you are using....example...if you were to export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p30

Under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab, you would see (by default)

Mono.jpg

When you check this type of area for your export, are you assuring that the choice is Stereo and not Mono.

Let us put together the results from the above and then determine if it directs us to the cause of what you are observing.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                maximed66 Level 1

Thanks again,

yes all the settings are ok, I looked in the advanced button and it was stereo. I've been using this program for 7 years and since last year the 10th edition. I worked in a school and I teach in a multimedia class. I've been experiencing this problem since last year, but we organise to fix it with the 4th editon. The technician just reinstall the program in my computer. It often happen when i close my computer and re-open the work. If i work on it and export it right away it works. But as you know sometimes it's long and have to work it somewhere else. So it's very frustrating when you did 2 hours of editing and you export and it's in mono whit no apparent reason. Thansk again for you help.

Sans titre-1.jpgthis the version before... you can see it's stereo and when i listen to it its works.

23.jpgafter the export

• 5. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

maximed66

Thanks for the screenshot. But, I am going to reserve judgment on your second screenshot where you point out "...you see in mono now." What I would like to see is that particular clip put through a properties readout program such as MediaInfo to see what the readout is for "channel(s)" under the Tree View of that program.

If that is not possible, then how reading the channel(s) properties of this clip that you are calling mono in the Properties of Premiere Elements (right clicking the file in Project Media and selecting Properties)?

Thanks.

ATr

• 6. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

maximed66

Add On....I have been doing some mini tests....with stereo import and exporting as mono.

Interestingly, if the wave form of the stereo import shows 2 bands, the export as .avi as mono shows the 2 bands, not one. Yet when you look at the Properties of the stereo in the Edit area, says stereo. And, look at the properties of the mono export, the properties show mono.

All test with Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit.

ATR

• 7. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                      maximed66 Level 1

Ok I will check this out today.

You see I did my project again yesterday, with a new folder, from the start without closing it and it works perfectly in stereo. As soon as I close it and work on it again after it become mono during the export, not during the editing. Very strange, unsual and frustrating too :-)

• 8. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                        maximed66 Level 1

I've checked the proprities, everything seems fine. Here is a screenshot of it. Hope you will understand, it's in french ;-)

Sans titre-1.jpg

• 9. Re: sound export problems? Mono
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

maximed66

Thank you for the screenshots in post numbered 8 of your thread. It is as I suspected, that is, in spite of the wave form in the Timeline audio clip, the export file properties are confirming that you set for stereo and the export audio is stereo.

Please confirm, when you take that file and play it back with a sound system, do you have mono or stereo according to what you are hearing?

When audio is imported into Premiere Elements is it conformed to 32 bit floating point. The conformed audio is saved to Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10 and the folder named Media Cache Files and exists there as a set, cfa and pek. I believe it is the pek file that is used to draw the wave form that you are seeing in the Timeline audio clip.

Your description of the situation make the troubleshooting challenging.

You see I did my project again yesterday, with a new folder, from the start without closing it and it works perfectly in stereo. As soon as I close it and work on it again after it become mono during the export, not during the editing.

At this point, I do not have an explanation for the situation that you describe. But, I would like you to try the following to determine if either has any impact on the issue....

1. Delete the complete content of the Media Cache Files Folder (cfa and pek files).

2. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR