8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 1:01 AM by horst_CS

Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8

horst_CS Level 1

Hi,

I'm still using OSX 10.6.8/ Snow Leopard for various reasons, also CS6 , and am a bit surprised that ACR 8.4 requires a later OSX version .

I'm fuming, actually, but let's not go there .

Obviously I won't change my OS, just because a rather minor part of the CS6 apps I'm using has been changed without considering OS backwards compatibility, probably by an intern .

But then again I do need the ACR support for recent cameras and lenses, so I'm wondering if there is a way to extract those profiles from the latest ACR 8.4 and manually add them to my earlier ACR 8.3 ?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Download the free DNG Converter and install. It won't give ACR 8.3 the camera format support 8.4 does but it should give you the new lens profiles...

• 2. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
            Yammer Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Download the free DNG Converter and install. It won't give ACR 8.3 the camera format support 8.4 does but it should give you the new lens profiles...

You beat me to it, Jeff.

But ... hang on a minute ... DNG Converter installs lens AND camera profiles, doesn't it? Are you inferring that 8.4 changes the way ACR uses newer camera profiles? Or will you have to kill me if you tell me?

• 3. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A camera profile is only part of the support ACR has for new cameras, with the rest being internal to the plug-in, itself, so installing the DNG Converter will put new camera and lens profile files onto the computer it doesn't add anything to the existing ACR 8.3 to support new cameras.

The OP hasn't said why they want ACR 8.4 camera and lens profiles, but has said they aren't going to upgrade their OS to the free Mavericks just to run ACR 8.4, so if a new camera is what they have then installing the DNG Converter won't help, but if they have a newly-supported lens for a camera that is already supported by ACR 8.3, then they might be some use in installing the DNG Converter.

Updating their OS is the only way to get new camera support that was included in ACR 8.4.

• 4. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
                Yammer Level 4

Ah. Yes. Sorry I forgot to put my brain in gear. I was confusing camera support with camera profiles.

(and, yes, it one implies the other, I just forgot to connect the neurones)

• 5. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
                  horst_CS Level 1

Thanks for your replies, appreciate it !

To be more specific, I'm going to buy a Sony Alpha 6000 , which is - assumably - only supported by the latest ACR 8.4 .

My understanding is that with new camera models, many times the Raw file format is slightly changed by the manufacturer, hence the need to update the raw converter .

Now, pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a camera profile and camera support ?

• 6. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
                    Yammer Level 4

horst_CS wrote:

To be more specific, I'm going to buy a Sony Alpha 6000 , which is - assumably - only supported by the latest ACR 8.4 .

My understanding is that with new camera models, many times the Raw file format is slightly changed by the manufacturer, hence the need to update the raw converter .

Now, pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a camera profile and camera support ?

The Alpha 6000 is only supported by 8.4.

You are correct about raw formats. Each new camera has a new format, hence the need for the software to be updated every few months.

Camera support is what we are talking about: the ability of a particular version of Camera Raw or DNG Converter to "understand" the raw format of a particular camera. The Alpha 6000 is supported by v8.4 = 8.4 has camera support for the a6000, so to speak.

A camera profile is a support file not unlike a monitor profile.  Each software update comes complete with a set of alternate camera profiles which can be selected from the Camera Calibration tab, in order to simulate a certain "look". There is always once called "Adobe Standard", and usually others called names like "Camera Standard" or "Camera Portrait" etc. which are intended to simulate the manufacturers' "picture styles" (or whatever they call them).

• 7. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each camera model's raw files must be supported individually, even if the sensor is the same because the electronics still might be doing something different to the data after it is read off the sensor or the lens system might be doing something different to the colors and hence the need for individual support, and at least because the camera has a different ID that needs to be recognized.

An Adobe Camera Raw engineer has said that while much of the camera support is in the camera profiles, either Adobe Standard or for some models, Camera Standard, Camera Faithful, etc, there are almost always little tweaks in the conversion that are actually part of the computer programming in the camera raw plug-in, itself, so it is a combination of a particular minimum version of the camera raw plug-in plus the camera profile file(s) that need to recognize and handle things for the camera.   The only thing you can copy from 8.3 to 8.4 is the external camera profile file(s) not the internal camera raw plug-in coding.

Obviously you can use the DNG Converter to create DNGs from the native camera raw files that can then be understood by older camera raw plug-ins, since that newer DNG Converter can embed all the extra parameters into the DNG files that the older ACR plug-in needs to do the raw conversion, but this is an extra step in the workflow so maybe you don't want to do it.

It seems like your choices are to upgrade your OS to Mavericks or use the DNG Converter to make DNGs of the Sony a6000 raw files so your current ACR 8.3 plug-in can understand and process these DNGs.

• 8. Re: Possible to extract new camera/lens profiles from 8.4 to use in 8.3 ? OSX 10.6.8
                        horst_CS Level 1

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful !