5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 9:52 PM by film man 24

Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio

film man 24 Level 1

I am confused on all the different ways to get the "cinematic look". There are various ways to do this and  I want minimal distortion. I have PE 10, source Canon T3i in camera settings are 1920 by 1080 23.976fps. Initial project settings are DSLR>1920 by1080>24fps, square pixel ratio 1.0.

My first question 

1- Is shoting anamorphic in itself a distortion of the actual scene?

2- If it is distortion of the actual scene, then it seems like strching the image in post or with a lens shouldn't matter to much?

3-I can right click>Interpret Footage and then select conform to --"D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)" or "Anamorphic 2:1 (2.0)" or "HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)". Which option would be best to get a proper depiction of your scene but also while achieving the "cinematic look"?(if any at all). (to me...it seems like "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)" does the best)

-buying anamorphic lens with an adapter that screws onto one of your prime lenses is the best option but it is a pain to have to deal with and is very expensive.

The easiest option is to select a title and put two black rectangles over your footage to mask it. I don't want to do this because you lose some of your footage and I would like to preserver all the footage if possible.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no anamorphic distortion in 1920x1080 video, since it uses square pixels.

Anamorphic pixels, in fact, are almost unique to tape-based DV and HDV video.

Anamorphic video is purely an electronic thing. It describes the shape of the millions of little pixels that make up every frame of yoru video.

It has nothing to do with the lens you're using on your camera. It also has nothing to do with making your video more cinematic.

Perhaps you're confusing anamorphic or non-square pixels with camera optics, which involves how lenses on a camera or camcorder interpret, reshape or add or reduce depth in an image.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to make your 16:9 video look more like a 2.35:1 movie frame?

• 2. Re: Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio
            film man 24 Level 1

I could be mistaken..I'm not even sure

Premiere says it will "Conform" the "Pixel Aspect Ratio". When I select "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)" the pixel aspect ratio is changed from its original 1.0 square pixel to 1.2121. This is a screen shot of what I have been encountering. screen shot anamorphic.jpgWhen this happens you do not lose any of the original footage by covering some of it up via a title and you get the "cinematic look" the wide screen look. So Yes, I am trying to get the 2.35:1 movie frame that you mentioned. That’s what I'm ultimately aiming to get. (the clip as you see it has yet to be changed, have not applied it yet so no black bars.

This is what it looks like with the "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)" conversion applied.

cinascope ana screenshot.jpg

• 3. Re: Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why is your project set up for DV footage if you're shooting in high def 1920x1080?

In older versions of Premiere Elements, like this one (you appear to be using version 10), you must manually set up your project correctly in order for your video to conform and edit correctly.

Start a new project and, on the New Project option screen, click Settings and select the project preset for DSLR 1080p24.

This should set up your project correctly for your footage (although newer versions of the program work much more efficiently with this video format -- AND will set up your project automatically). You'll know that you've set the project up correctly for your footage because when you add a clip to your timeline, there will NOT be a red line along the top of the timeline, above your video.

Note that, in the illustrations you've provided, there IS red line above the clips.

If your project is set up correctly, you won't need to do things like interpolate your video or work with various pixel aspect ratios. And your finished results will look much better!

• 4. Re: Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio
                film man 24 Level 1

First off, thank you for your input. I'm out of town until Friday but I will try to get back at you soon and I wont be able to run premiere...blastedMy project was not set up to the DV like on the screen shot shows, that is what I was changing the footage to so I would get the black bars on the image without losing any footage from the bars. The project settings are DSLR 1920x1080p, I was just showing you a screen shot of what I was altering the footage to and then the RED bar appeared. The screen shot from the first window has the bar as GREEN but when I streched the footage it went red becasue it has to render the changes I had applied.

I wan't may not be able to be done...

• 5. Re: Anamorphic Pixel Aspect Ratio
                  film man 24 Level 1

When widescreen footage is shown ( anamorphic 2:35. 1) is it 16 by 9 footage that just has bars covering it to get the proper proportions  or is it 16 by 9 footage compressed to the anamorphic aspect ratio? (given you don't have a anamorphic lens/adapter to shoot true anamorphic)