5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 10:13 PM by Evertech

Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.

SteveNewYork

When I try to publish a video to YouTube over 15 minutes I get this error: "The video duration exceeds the maximum duration supported by the destination.  Please reduce the duration of video and try again." 

Clearly YouTube's policies change over time - they allow videos much longer than this.  Shockingly, Premiere does not offer any option to override this limit which obviously should not be set in stone.  Please help.

• 1. Re: Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

You didn't say which version you are using, but Adobe thought there were time limits.  YouTube changed it.  Your best opition for longer is to Share to a AVCHD with a YouTube preset on your computer.  Then upload that file with YouTubes tools.

A.T. Romano will surely help with any additional details.

• 2. Re: Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveNewYork

No bug.

If you are using Premiere Elements 9, 10, 11, or 12, the upload to YouTube from within the project feature is stated and is

2.00 GB/15 minutes. So no bug. The YouTube dialog in the sharing section of 9, 10, 11, or 12 clearly state that. Now, if you have a version earlier than 9, you will run into limits of 2048.0 MB (aka 2 GB) and only 10 minutes. Those earlier versions were never updated to 15 minutes when Adobe extended the time for its YouTube feature from10 to 15 minutes going from version 8 to 9.

The YouTube limits for its upload at its site are governed by YouTube and not Adobe. In fact, I have been told that you can get extended upload times there with special accounts. I do not believe that YouTube has changed its basic time 15 minutes. Rather is offering "regular" 15 minutes  as well as an extended time for those who request it. See link at the end of the next paragraph.

If you have a Premiere Elements Timeline content that is greater than 2.0 GB/15 minutes, then your ONLY choice is to export that Timeline content to a file saved to your computer hard drive and then upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site after you make whatever arrangements so that you do not end up with just 15 minutes there. If you have not seen the following already, the following is YouTube information found online on getting more time for larger uploads

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4523193?hl=en&rd=1

If you need help deciding on the settings for exporting a file saved to your hard drive for upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site, I would be glad to offer suggestions based on the properties of your Premiere Elements Timeline. More specific information will be offered once we know that information and what version of Premiere Elements you are using and on what computer operating system the program is running.

We are not Adobe. Just user to user. If you want to call this matter to Adobe's attention, you might be interested in filing an Adobe Feature/ Request Bug Report Form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

ATR

• 3. Re: Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.
              SteveNewYork Level 1

Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply to my question.  It turns out that YouTube now does allow videos greater than 30 minutes simply by verifying your account with an email or phone.  I suppose I had done this because I can upload longer videos.  I was just looking for an easier way simply the process through Premiere Elements 12, but I think I have my answer now (it won't work as easily as videos under 15 minutes duration will).  As a solution, I just created the video in my preferred format and uploaded it separately to YouTube.

Thank you both again for your responses!

Steve

• 4. Re: Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

I think that you can get longer times from Vimeo from within the Premiere Elements feature, but I have not made a comparative study on this. I suspect that Vimeo may have limits which are always as visible as others.

Best wishes in your video projects.

ATR

• 5. Re: Bug in which Premiere does not allow publishing of videos to YouTube over 15 minutes.
                  Evertech

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 14 and have experienced this same limitation. Adobe has known for a long time that YouTube allows for the size limit restriction to be lifted, so why not provide the facility to enable an upload to be done without having to go the long way round.