4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 7:47 PM by B. F. Sweetie

Ever Hear of a "CC.0 Document"?

B. F. Sweetie

Here's the sad story: I was downsized from my Graphic Designer job last fall. It seemed like a good time to get out on my own, but perhaps it wasn't. At work we were updated to the CC environment, but at home I was still using CS 3.0 for  freelance work. I upgraded to CC in December. All was working well, but business was VERY slow, and I found it necessary to abandon my subscription in February. I really thought about a complete career change, but the warm weather has brought renewed vigor. I went to Adobe's website to see about renewing my CC subscription.

I was only able update my eMail in the account manager on this visit to the site, intending to returnto finish the re-commitment.

Now the crux: Departing the Adobe site, ALL of my Indesign files have been mysteriously converted in the "Kind" column to an "Indesing CC.0 Document," and WILL NOT OPEN in my CS 3.0 application. And when I say ALL indesign files, I mean also those created in any PREVIOUS release of Indesign. (Even, unfortunately, on my backus drive, which just happened to be plugged in at the time.)

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Ever Hear of a "CC.0 Document"?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless you opened and saved your files with CC there is no way they were

converted to a newer format. What happens when you try to open them?

• 2. Re: Ever Hear of a "CC.0 Document"?
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Many questions. The answers may help me get a handle on this.

Is InDesign CC still installed on your computer? Even if it is not, it could have switched your Mac "registery" to call all InDesign documents CC.0. Remember, the same extension (INDD) is for all versions of InDesign.

How have you tried to open any of your InDesign documents?

Do you double click them? Or what?

It may be that the InDesign CS 3.0 documents only say InDesign CC.0, but they are still CS 3 documents.

Try right-mouse (or Control-click) one of the files that you know are CS 3 and then choose Open With. Then navigate to find the InDesign CS 3 application. And see if it opens the older files.

• 3. Re: Ever Hear of a "CC.0 Document"?
              B. F. Sweetie Level 1

Thank you, Bob, for your quick response.

This just happened today, so I have not contacted Adobe, nor have I renewed my subscription to CC yet, to see if CC will open these "CC.0" documents.

ANY Indesign docuemnt that I try to open –– either by double clicking, dragging to icon, or opening from a pulldown menu –– gives me the two-panel (paraphrased) "You are missing a plug-in required to open … Please update your plug-in … update your Indesign" message. I usually see this when someone gives me a file in a newer version than the one I am using here at home (CS3).

Weird, eh?

-30-

• 4. Re: Ever Hear of a "CC.0 Document"?
                B. F. Sweetie Level 1

Thank you, Sandee, for your quick response.

This just happened today, so I have not contacted Adobe, nor have I renewed my subscription to CC yet, to see if CC will open these "CC.0" documents. I will contact them tomorrow (EST).

ANY Indesign docuemnt that I try to open in my CS3 –– either by double clicking, dragging to icon, or opening from a pulldown menu –– gives me the two-panel (paraphrased) "You are missing a plug-in required to open … Please update your plug-in … update your Indesign" message. I usually see this when someone gives me a file in a newer version than the one I am using here at home (CS3).

Weird, eh?

These files all were originally created in CS3. I keep CS3, because I still have clients with old PageMaker files that anything newer than CS3 won't touch.

Yes, I suppose CC is still installed on my machine. My subscription lapsed, but I did not remove the application. So, your "registry" theory has merit.

I am just hoping that when I re-establish my subscription, the integrity of the files will be restored, and will open in CC.

Of course, everything is under deadline. I'll be up late creating my month-end stuff from scratch. Fun!

Thanks again for your interest, Sandee!

-30-