6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2014 6:27 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Video looks pixelated

nattynoo

Hello,

I'm new to using Adobe Premiere Elements - I have version 12. I have captured video from a DV camera (PAL) using a firewire but it looks pixelated when I watch it. I have checked the settings and tried both standard and widescreen settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have captured the same video on iMovie and it looks fine.

I don't want to spend any more time working on the project until I know that I'm using everything on the right settings. Can anyone help with this.

• 1. Re: Video looks pixelated
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has a couple of links about project settings... 4th & 5th links at the top

If your project is correct to your video, you will NOT have a red line over the video when first imported

• 2. Re: Video looks pixelated
            A.T. Romano Community Member

nattynoo

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 take over the setting of the project preset which now has a default of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or its PAL counterpart. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset yourself manually before you import media into the project.

First, what are the DV data, standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9? Let us assume for now standard widescreen 16:9.

Open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to PAL DV Widescreen. Before exiting the area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then back in the Expert workspace, go to Add Media/DV Camcorder and begin your DV Data Capture Firewire into the Premiere Elements 12 Capture Window.

Check out the following Adobe document on the topic.

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you to improve your Premiere Elements 12 capture firewire results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Video looks pixelated
              nattynoo Community Member

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your help - I pressed the 'force' button and it's now working perfectly! I'm still not sure what's going on because my camera is set to standard widescreen 16:9, but it only works when i capture in standard 4:3. Either way I'm happy it is now working.

One more question, that I think I know the answer to. Is it possible to rescue the work I've already done, or will I have to recapture the footage again?

Thank you for your help

• 4. Re: Video looks pixelated

nattynoo

Typically if your camera is recording DV data 16:9 and your Premiere Elements project preset is NTSC DV Standard 4:3 during the the capture firewire, you will get a message about a settings mismatch between camera and Premiere Elements settings. Are you getting that message when you set:

Camera: DV data 16:9

Premiere Elements project preset NTSC DV Widescreen

You should not and the capture should go smoothly. But, if you have a workflow that is working, please continue with it. Is there any possibility that your camera is really recording DV data 4:3 instead of 16:9?

Regarding

Is it possible to rescue the work I've already done, or will I have to recapture the footage again?

When you did the DV data capture, you designated a save location on the hard drive for the capture. The DV data should be represented at the save location by a DV AVI file (either standard or widescreen). Try importing these DV AVI into Premiere Elements project that beforehand had its project preset  manually set to NTSC DV standard or NTSC DV standard widescreen, depending on what you have.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Video looks pixelated
                  nattynoo Community Member

ATR

Thank you again for the help. I am able to use the footage I captured before and it looks fine.

Thanks for the advice

• 6. Re: Video looks pixelated

nattynoo

Great news. Great job sorting through the details to get good results.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification. We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your follow up was much appreciated.

Best wishes.

ATR