3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 4:27 AM by Peter Spier

Word Warp

Khilari Bhaiya Level 1

Hi, I have recently started using InDesign. Previously when typing in Microsoft Word' it was easy to simply press the 'Enter' to move on to the next line; however, this is not possible when I was typing in the text box.

Does anyone know how I can move the cursor  to the next line by pressing the enter key?

• 1. Re: Word Warp
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It should work the same way, except that the Enter key on the number pad inserts a column break rather than a paragraph break. On some Windows computers the two enter keys are mapped together and behave as either the alpha pad key or the numpad key, depending on the state of the Numlock. On those machines it's necessary to edit the keyboard shortcts to set teh nunpad Enter to paragraph break and creat a new shortcut for column break.

What is your OS, and waht do you see when you press Enter using the key on the alphanumeric pad?

• 2. Re: Word Warp
            Khilari Bhaiya Level 1

Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 and by turning off the numlock, the issue has been resolved. Could you please tell me how edit this keyboard shortcut as you have mentioned.

• 3. Re: Word Warp
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Edit > Keybord Shortcuts...

Crerate a new set (you can't edit the default set). Change the Product Area dropdown to Type Menu, then scroll down until you find Insert Break Character: Paragraph Return and select it. Put your cursor in the New Shortcut filed and press the Enter key on the Numpad, then the Assign button. If you want a shortcut for column breaks scroll up to Insert Break Character: Column Break and make up a new shortcut.

1 person found this helpful