19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2015 5:00 PM by cmdiamond1 RSS

No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Nordenmark Community Member

Hi

Before the upgrade i used Acrobat 8. And when I comibned pdfs in that version the bookmarks of the orginal files was transferred into the new combined pdf file.

Now when combining pdf files I get no bookmarks at all. Why?

I've looked at the settings and I have the "Always add bookmarks" option checked.

What can I do? I need to get this functionality working again.

Kind Regards

Kenneth

• 1. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
          Charlene L. Adobe Employee

Hi Kenneth,

I found a known issue where bookmarks were not always being created using Combine Files, similar to what you are reporting.

The issue I found was fixed in version 11.0.4.

Please check your version of Acrobat XI (Help > About Adobe Acrobat XI... ).

If it is less than 11.0.4, please update to the latest version by selecting Help > Check for Updates.

Please reply if this fixes your issue or not.

Bookmarks are created properly when I combine PDFs.

Regards,

Charlene

• 2. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Hi!

I had 11.0.0 and did the update to 1.0.6 now. And there is no diffrence. I've made som snapshots so you can see what's wrong, it may be easier to explain that way

Here is the origninal file:

bild1.PNG

And here it is after combined:

bild2.PNG

What do you think?

• 3. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
              Bernd Alheit MVP

Acrobat adds the bookmark "test" for the file test.pdf.

• 4. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Yeah. But I want all the content of the bookmarks from the orgininal file to follow through to the new one. All I get now is one bookmark, before the structure kept intact and every combined pdf had it's orignal bookmarks

• 5. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                  Bernd Alheit MVP

Acrobat creates only bookmarks with the names of the combined files.

• 6. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Hi Nordenmark,

Bernd Alheit is correct, there is a new bookmark for the starting page of each combined file. However, if this is a new behavior in Acrobat XI, I do want to investigate further.

Thank you for updating to version 11.0.6 and testing again. I'm sorry it did not resolve the issue.

And thanks for the additional information.

Would you please provide some details on your PDF and your workflow so i can try to reproduce the problem:

1) How was your PDF created (for instance, from Word via the PDFMaker, from InDesign, from other via Adobe PDF Printer, etc.).

2) Were the bookmarks created during PDF creation, or did you create them manually?

3) Do the bookmarks point to only pages or to specific locations/views on pages?

4) Do you rearrange or omit pages during Combine ? (It looks like you don't, just put test.pdf in the Combine Files dialog, but I want to make sure).

Thank you,

Charlene

• 7. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

1. I dont know how the PDF was created. For this example i've just downloaded one from the web. But the issue is consistent when trying others as well.

2. They were probably created manually for this PDF.

3. They point to chapters and locations in this PDF

4. I did not rearrange anything.

I just installed my Acrobat 8 and did the exact same thing, and here is how it looks and works there:

acro1.PNG

arco2.PNG

The bookmarks remain intact here.

• 8. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Thank you, Nordenmark.

I understand.

This may be a limitation of Acrobat XI.

I will research further.

Regards,

Charlene

• 9. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                          JeremyK Community Member

Hi Nordenmark,

I have checked in 11.0.6 as well and also experience the same error as you. It seems like it is a limitation in Aerialist XI

My solution to this problem is I have installed a plug-in called Debenu PDF Aerialist which allowed me to merge PDF together and retain the bookmarks for each. If you would like I can show you how I did it and maybe that could help.

Jeremy

• 10. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                            Torevell SM Community Member

Hello Charlene

I'm having a similar problem, in that when I convert a Word 2013 document to a PDF, I only get the top three headings of my document bookmarked, where I used to get all headings.  I'm now on Adobe Xi Pro running on Windows 7 where I was previously using XP and Adobe Pro 9 without any issues.  The authoring application for my word document is FS Pro (Information mapping tool).

Thanks Susan

Example:

Bookmarks.png

• 11. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Hello,

I completed my research.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation in Acrobat XI.

Although there may be exceptions, the following is the general behavior for Acrobat XI:

A bookmark whose Action is to go to a Named Destination *is not* included in the combined file.

A bookmark whose Action is to go to a Page *is* included in the combined file.

I did not find remarks about other types of Bookmark action nor for PDFs containing multiple types of bookmark Actions.

Changing the Acrobat XI behavior for Combine Files so that all valid bookmarks are included in the resulting PDF is being considered for a future release.

Regards,

Charlene

• 12. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Morning Charlene

Thank you for your prompt reply.  My issue however is not when combining pdf files together it’s when converting a word document into a pdf.  I previous had Acrobat 9 Pro and had no issues when converting a word document into a pdf, all headings 1 to 5 were converted and showed in the bookmark panel, XI only converts the top four headings, is there anyway of adding the fifth heading to the list?

Here’s hoping.

Susan Torevell

• 13. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Hello Susan,

Right, my response was for the original inquiry regarding Combining files.

Here are some details on bookmarking additional styles during conversion to the PDF:

To add a style to the bookmarks list, do the following in Word:

1. Click the Acrobat tab to bring the PDFMaker ribbon to the front.
                                  2. Click the Preferences button.
                                  3. In the Acrobat PDFMaker preferences dialog, click the Bookmarks tab.
                                  4. Scroll through the elements list and find your Heading style.
                                  5. Click the Bookmark checkbox to include that style in bookmarking.
                                  6. Click OK to save the change.

Create your PDF as usual.

Regards,

Charlene

• 14. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Morning Charlene

Thank you so much for that it makes my life so much easier.

Could I ask another question, which is probably not an Adobe issue.  We currently use SharePoint a document management system and have recently upgraded to Windows 7, when I download a pdf from SharePoint onto my desktop, the URL links within the pdf take on my ‘C’ drive and break.  The links were made as absolute links originally and prior to Windows 7 did not do this, have you come across this before?

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated, thanks again for solving my bookmark problem.

Susan Torevell

• 15. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                                      Zane Jane Community Member

Rats! I just installed Acrobat Pro XI for the convenience of the drag-and-drop combination. I guess I'll go back to the version I uninstalled...

If you can fix it in a newer point release of XI, I'll be very happy!

Jane Tatchell

• 16. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                                        karyns34313389 Community Member

We make PDFs from FrameMaker with several layers of headings all marking appropriate pages. We make PDFs for about 20 chapters, then combine the PDFs into a book. Now we've lost the functionality of each of these chapters because all it does is give the opening page of each chapter. We can "add" files to the end of a PDF to add the chapters, but this is tedious when it was previously an automated step. Plus, when we "add" files, it puts .PDF on the name of the bookmark and this must be manually removed for a clean look.

Adobe, PLEASE correct this limitation so we can use it as it worked previously!

Karyn Smith

• 17. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                                          cmdiamond1 Community Member

Charlene, thank you for the explanation. That does appear to be true. I am combining PDFs generated from Frame and Flare; the bookmarks from Flare are the "go to page" type and are successfully transferred into the combined PDF; but the ones form FrameMaker are the "Named Destination" type, and they don't transfer over.

I concur with karyns343...: Adobe, please let us know when you correct this limitation! I am on Acrobat Pro 11.0.10.

• 18. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro

Hello Christine,

For Acrobat DC, bookmarks of all types are included in PDFs generated from the Combine function.

It looks like the change is still being considered for version XI.

Regards,

Charlene

• 19. Re: No bookmarks when combining pdf in XI pro
                                              cmdiamond1 Community Member

Hi Charlene,

That is great! Is Acrobat DC the next version of Acrobat Pro? I will check it out.

Also, do you know if this other issue is also resolved in that version?

PDF conversion from Excel no longer successfully renders "Page # of ##" in footer, where "##" = total pages in the tab; instead, “##” always comes out as the total pages in the workbook.

In Acrobat 8, we could do this based on an option we selected when we generated the PDF from the workbook using the Acrobat tab (PDF Maker plug-in). Now, to create the desired result, we must generate a separate PDF for each tab, then combine them, which is very time consuming.

Similar requests on Adobe forums:

·         https://forums.adobe.com/message/6188775#6188775

·         https://forums.adobe.com/message/6795948#6795948

·         https://forums.adobe.com/message/5340962#5340962

·         https://forums.adobe.com/thread/834599

I have spent a LOT of time trying to solve this… none of the solutions presented have worked, other than the time-consuming one I mentioned.

Thanks!

…CD