4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 2:22 PM by John T Smith

Win7 or Win8?

R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So ... building a new video-editing machine and wondering ... Win7 or Win8 for operating system?

I would note ... all five machines in our shop's network are Win7 rigs, this would be added into that network. Running the CC versions of PrPro, Speedgrade, AeFx & etc ...

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Win7 or Win8?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no performance penalty or from what I have seen no gain in performance.  The only penalty is a steep learning curve.  Since they are talking Windows 9 next year you can look on it as not an important step or as a necessary introduction. 

• 2. Re: Win7 or Win8?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Win7 (PProCS5) and my wife uses Win8.1 (non-video, but a house design CAD program)

Once you get past the icon filled start screen (and there is an option to go directly to the old style desktop) the OUTWARD look and operation of the two is pretty much the same

There are supposed to be code improvements in Win8 over Win7, but if you are happy with Win7, you "probably" don't need to change

One thing... you MAY need to use different device drivers to work with Win8 compared to what works with Win7

• 3. Re: Win7 or Win8?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The performance is better on Win 8 over Win 7 by a small percentage right now. The Video caching is far greater and the storage performance is better. If you can get past the interface changes then Win 8 has a much higher potential but the workflow can drive many crazy.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Win7 or Win8?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>If you can get past the interface changes

From a monthly newsletter published by http://windowssecrets.com/

Right-click the Desktop taskbar, click Properties, select the Navigation tab, and then check the box marked “When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start.” With Win 8.1 Update, the system installer scans for a touch-sensitive screen. If it doesn’t find one, it checks that box.