16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12

Lucidity2014

Greetings,

I am trying to process video files that are approximately 500 to 750mb in Adobe Premiere Elements 12.  I am running on Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel i5 processor 2300, 8gb DDR3 and Invidia GeForce GT520 Video Card.  It is choking so bad I cannot edit my videos at all. Reliable technical support here says that it is the limitations of the software and upgrading my hardware would be next to useless.  Can you please clarify, unfortunately Premiere Pro is out of my budget.

• 1. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lucidity2014

I cannot buy into the "limitations of the software" explanation for your Premiere Elements 12 problems without details of the situation.

What is your Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 or 64 bit? If you have WIndows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 12 running on it, and 8 GB RAM installed, you are doing well. How much free hard drive space goes with that setup?

Next we need to focus on the properties of these videos that you are importing into a new project? Where are they coming from? What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded them? And based on those properties, what have you (manually) or the program set as the project preset to match the properties of your source media?

Properties of interest include

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Also, for consideration, possible considerations

a. video card driver up to date according to web site of the manufacturer of the card....one or two video cards?

b. antivirus program conflict...does problem go away when you disable the antivirus...is your antivirus McAfee?

Who is this "reliable technical support here" refer to?

Let us start here and go through each aspect of the issue according to the details that you provide. Do not hesitate to ask for clarification on any thing written. It is important to have good communications to get to the core of the problems.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
            Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for your response and I really hope we find a solution because I am a passionate Adobe Creative Suite client.

Unfortunately, I can only answer a few questions, because the video was supplied.

Windows Home Premium 64 Bit

1.07 TB Hard drive space

Frame Size: 1080 x 1920

Frame Rate: 23 FPS

One video card, have not knowingly updated.

Antivirus is VIPRE 2014 and has not been disabled.

Technical Support is main help desk at Canada Computers (Doug), I took my desktop into them and they researched online for almost an hour.

The software seems to work fine when processing very small files, say 30mbs.  It just freezes and crashes on larger files.

I will do anything to work with you as a major College project is in jeopardy.

Thank you,

Brian

• 3. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

What is the duration of this 1920 x 1080 @24 progressive frames per second video. And what is the file extension that you see at the end of the file name of this video?

You say that you are trying to work with 500 to 750 MB files. How many of them do you have on the Timeline at the same time?

Your Premiere Elements 12 64 bit application and your Windows 7 64 bit sound good along with the 8 GB of installed RAM. When you open the project to the Expert workspace and go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where are each of the catagories directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

Besides the above, please download and install the free gspot utility and let us know what it says for Video (Name Codec and Status) same for Audio (Name Codec and Status).

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR,

The duration is 4:49 and the file extension is .mov. I have only tried one video on the Timeline, due to issues.... but will require to add more.

The filepath is; C:\Users\Brian Ellis\Desktop\GBC Video for the Web\Video Footage

I assumed the free hard drive location would be the same properties as the C: Drive (1.07 TB), but please advise if I should move off the desktop?

Name / Codec Blank

Thank you,

Brian

• 5. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that, when you ran your video (.mov) throught the gpsot dialog, there was no information in the Video (Name Codec Status) fields at the top right of the dialog and no information in the Audio (Name Codec Status) fields at the bottom left of the dialog?

Just ot confirm...the duration of your file with the .mov file extension is 4 minutes and 49 seconds. Is that correct?

Did we establish that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

I am almost sure that your video compression must be AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264), but, if you could verify that somehow, it would leave us not taking anything for granted.

See MediaInfo (Tree View), but watch for unwanted carry alongs with the download.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

We will work on this some more in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                    Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry, didn’t run program right.

Codec: avc1

Name: H.264

The length of the movie is 4 minutes and 49 seconds. QuickTime is Version 7.7.5.  I certainly hope we get this resolved. L  Brian

• 7. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                      nealeh Level 5

When you add the clip to your timeline is there, in Expert mode, an orange line running the length of the timeline? If so it means PRE didn't set the correct project setting when you first added the clip. Can you tell us the settings under Edit> Project Settings> General.

Incidentally, PRE can handle files many gigabytes in size of several hours duration (even on my ageing PC with 4GB RAM) so 750MB is a comparatively tiny file. File size will not be your problem, more likely incorrect project settings or incompatible codec.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lucidity2014

I have gone over your thread again. I do not believe that project settings are at the core of file size being a limitation in your workflow. And, at face value, the format of AVCHD.mov (1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second) should be supported by Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit (and you have QuickTime latest version installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 12).

This is what I would like you to do to demonstrate whether or not, in your situation, the project settings are at the core of your file size limitation issue

1. Open a new Premiere Elements 12 project to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In the Change Settings dialog, make sure that the project preset is set to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

Before you close out of there, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the new project dialog which is the last dialog you should see as you exit that area.

3. Then back in the Expert workspace of the project, import your AVCHD.mov (500 to 750 MB/4 minutes 49 seconds) using the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

a. Do you see an orange line over the Timeline content when it is first dragged to the Timeline?

b. Do the problems exit as before?

Click on Start button. In the Search field above the Start button, type in System Information. In System Information, please tell us what you see for:

Total Physical Memory

Available Physical Memory

Total Virtual Memory

Available Virtual Memory

Page File Space

From you initial report, your installed RAM is supposed to be 8 GB.

Previously you wrote

The filepath is; C:\Users\Brian Ellis\Desktop\GBC Video for the Web\Video Footage

I assumed the free hard drive location would be the same properties as the C: Drive (1.07 TB), but please advise if I should move off the desktop?

Just in case, after you have ruled out the project settings factor, please change the file path so that the file is saved to Libraries/Documents or Libraries/Videos. Then start a new project, go through setting the project preset manually, and then in the project Add Media/Files and Folders from the new hard drive save location (Documents or Videos). Moving forward do you have an external hard drive for video storage?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On Comment...To give others a view of the project settings that you have been using for the problem situation, please go to the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what is there for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio - even if the fields appear to be grayed out. That should answer everyone's questions.

• 9. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                          Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I completed all your requests….

DSLR-1080p-DSLR 1080p24 + Force Selected Project Setting on This Project

Yes orange line over Timeline, but takes several minutes.

Total Physical Memory: 7.98 GB

Available Physical Memory: 5.39 GB

Total Virtual Memory: 16.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 12.2 GB

Page File Space: 7.98 GB

Libraries / Video / Video Footage.

It didn’t make any difference what-so-ever. I am just really frustrated now…

• 10. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lucidity2014

Thanks for the follow ups. Sorry the news is not better.

Your information is excellent. So, where is the problem coming from?

Recap again.

Early on I asked if the antivirus was disabled. You replied

Antivirus is VIPRE 2014 and has not been disabled.

I have gone over your thread again and can find no mention that you actually ruled out the possibility that the antivirus program is involved in your issue. Antivirus programs, especially McAfee of late, have caused major problems for Premiere Elements. So, let us get the antivirus aspects of the issue ruled in or out.

Did you ever say where your video AVCHD.mov is coming from...brand, model, settings for camera recording the video? I do not know if we can evoke a proprietary video codec as a causative factor here. What we might do is to convert the file to H.264.mp4 with a free program such as HandBrake and determine if the converted source fares better in Premiere Elements than the original AVCHD.mov.

http://handbrake.fr/

It is a quick and easy process. I will suggest settings for the conversion if you want to give it a try if the antivirus consideration is not the answer.

Do not give up. Some of the troubleshooting can be frustrating and challenging (been there and done that).

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                              Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well you are making progress… it is definitely the file format!

“It was a Panasonic AG-AC160AP recording 1080 avchd.  BUT, I captured the footage into Final cut so the end format of the movies is ProRes (also a standard for editing)”

The H.264.mp4 runs great!  Does this mean I have to convert 26 video files… or is there a way to address this in Premiere?

Thank you,

Brian

• 12. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

You need batch converter.

Please check out MPEG Streamclip

http://www.bothell.washington.edu/it/howdoi/articles/mpegstreamclip.pdf

HandBrake should be able to do a batch conversion to H.264.mp4.

Premiere Elements does not offer video batch conversion.

When you asked "...or is there a way to address this in Premiere?", did you mean in Premiere Pro?

Maybe. I would have to check on that since I do not work with Premiere Pro.

Sounding good.

Is there a problem working with the video directly from the Panasonic rather than going Panasonic to Final Cut to Premiere Elements? Is this Pro Res = Pro Res 422?

https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflows/index.html# chapter=10%26section=2%26tasks=true

ATR

• 13. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                  nealeh Level 5

As suspected, an incompatible encoding

Personally I use the commercial version of Aimersoft Video Converter for most of my video conversions - it also has a free version. I also use the free FormatFactory which has very simple batch conversion routines (just drag multiple files to it's window). I started using this tool after seeing several Adobe staff members recommend it in these forums.

If you Google 'free video conversion' you'll find dozens so take a look at their screenshots and see what you like the look of - just make sure you download them from reputable sites such as nonags (my personal favorite), cnet, tucows, softonic and decline any 'offers' to install other software alongside it.

You'll probably find it worthwhile trying a few different ones and benchmarking them to see if any one of them has noticeably improved performance time over the others with your ProRes format.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lucidity2014

The generic concept of incompatible codec is just that but does not explain what is going on with your original reports on an AVCHD.mov file. And as asked in my prior post (before you select a converter)

Is there a problem working with the video directly from the Panasonic rather than going Panasonic to Final Cut to Premiere Elements? Is this Pro Res = Pro Res 422?

I asked this since your post 11 added

“It was a Panasonic AG-AC160AP recording 1080 avchd.  BUT, I captured the footage into Final cut so the end format of the movies is ProRes (also a standard for editing)”

We will continue to watch for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                      Lucidity2014 Level 1

Hi ATR and Neale,

Your support has been EXCELLENT and I am making progress.  I am batch processing through MPEG Streamclip and converting to QuickTime H.264 1920 x 1080 and having great success!  I am processing at 100% Quality which is probably overkill, but unless I have editing issues I want to maximize the quality.

I have no idea why the videographer is not supplying me with the footage without going through Final Cut Pro?

Thank you so much for your timely response and diligence!  It is greatly appreciated!!!!

Kind regards,

Brian

• 16. Re: Processing Large Files in Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Brian

Thanks for the update with such wonderful news.

Really enjoyed that "...having great success..."

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Moving forward, hoping that you can work something out with the videographer to void the conversions. But, if good results, go by the old proverb "do not mess with a good thing".

Best wishes.

ATR