2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 2:11 PM by Gaurki

Extremely Slow w/ Multiple Shapes

Gaurki Level 1

I have been trying to animate about 47 simple shapes (3 anchors each) in After Effects CC, version 12.2.1.5.

I can't even drag them  to a new position in the composition. It takes too long to load even at Quarter resolution and 25% zoom that dragging them is impossible.

I'm wondering why something  like a bunch of shape layers basically freezes After Effects and if there is any setting or pref I can change to make it possible to edit something like this? Just showing the "position" attribute in the timeline took about a minute of pinwheeling to load, really hard to work with this.

I'm  new to After Effects so I could be missing something basic.

I tried turning off Ray Tracing but no improvement,  they are not 3D layers.

My rig:

iMac running OS X 10.9.2

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 1333 MHz DDR3

MD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

• 1. Re: Extremely Slow w/ Multiple Shapes
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your comp should be set to Classic not Ray-traced rendring.

We need to know a lot more about your project. Please show a screenshot. I edit comps with multiple shape layers on a Mac Mini, among other machines, all the time with no significant UI slow down.

What are your memory settings? Cache? Comp settings?

• 2. Re: Extremely Slow w/ Multiple Shapes
            Gaurki Level 1

Thank you for your response Rick. My cache may have been filled or RAM completely used up. After restarting After Effects things sped up so that it was actually moving at real time when I made edits to the same bunch of shapes.

I had the memory set to 11 GB between After Effects and Media Encoder with 5GB for other apps, probably the default for 16GB machines. "Render Multiple Frames" was turned off. "Reduce cache size..." was turned off.

Auto-save every 20 minutes, max of 5 versions.

Disk cache enabled, 93GB max size.

Comp settings:

NTSC DV preset. 720 x 480. 29.97 frame rate. Full resolution. 0.91 aspect ratio.