Exit

Uninstalling Old Version of Flash Before Installing New Version

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7

Flash 13.0 r0(206) (13.0.0 .206)

For several versions now, I have been unable to get a good installation of a new version of Flash unless I uninstall the prior version.  The new version seems to install okay.  However, my browser does not recognize it; and thus the Flash test Web site does not work. 

While I am now using Windows 7, I observed this same problem with Windows XP.  Why cannot the Flash installer handle the removal of the prior version? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Leaf Mold wrote:

While I am now using Windows 7, I observed this same problem with Windows XP.  Why cannot the Flash installer handle the removal of the prior version? 

Usually it's a registry error that prevents the overwriting of the old version. The installer can't fix that. You may have a common app between the Xp and Win7 machines that has altered the registry in both.

There is a full uninstaller: Flash Player Uninstaller

FWIW, I never use the GUI updater, and I ALWAYS do a full clean install (manually removing plug-in files and registry keys) whenever I update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines