8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 5:07 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Help With Content Awareness

i_am_jim Level 1

CS 4 was getting long in the tooth so I decided to upgrade. One of the features that helped push me was Content Aware Fill.

I saw videos on the web that made it look magical. 

The first thing I did after getting CC configured was to grab a random picture from yesterday's outing and give it a try.  My results were less than magical, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Would someone who's experienced with this feature give me some pointers?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kap5ebbhku1d7et/93YQBIi-or

• 1. Re: Help With Content Awareness
          i_am_jim Level 1

I assume from the absence of replies that no one here can help me understand why Content Aware Fill is not working well for me?  Is there another place I can ask for help on this?

• 2. Re: Help With Content Awareness
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I assume from the absence of replies that no one here can help me understand why Content Aware Fill is not working well for me?

Not necessarily.

Personally I have little use for that feature, but others may have use it more extensively.

I consider it somewhat of a »bells and whistles« feature – looks good in presentations, but …

Also you should, in my opinion, have posted the images

• on this Forum directly and

• included the original files (preferably with a path ot alpha channel for the Selection you used).

While the first example does seem disappointing, the second example does not seem that surprising.

Have you tried using a Layer without the palm-trees?

• 3. Re: Help With Content Awareness
              i_am_jim Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Also you should, in my opinion, have posted the images

• on this Forum directly and

I wasn't sure how to post that many pictures with the selection/result pairs together on the forum.

• 4. Re: Help With Content Awareness
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I wasn't sure how to post that many pictures with the selection/result pairs together on the forum.

I think the images get posted in the order one adds them, but I seldom post more than one image per post so the point seems fair.

Could you post the original image?

• 5. Re: Help With Content Awareness
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Sometimes it works better than others.  You can be sure any demos shown make it work on its best behavior.

I've had the best luck selecting around the object to be removed with a hard selection, at least a few pixels out to be sure no influence for the object remains.

Showing the image here will be your best approach.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Help With Content Awareness
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You are using the wrong tool in some of those cases, and missing a trick or two in others.  The first shots with the roof are a job for the clone tool, although the patch tool 'might' fix it for you.  When the is any sort of perspective involved in an issue like that, then Vanishing Point is the way to go.

For the sky, the way to prevent unwanted areas appearing in the fixed image with CAF, the trick is to make a selection of the entire sky including the area to be fixed, and copy to a new layer.  CAF can then only draw on pixels in that layer.

But in catual fact, you are again using the wrong tool, and should be using the healing brush to remove those overhead cables.

• 7. Re: Help With Content Awareness
                      i_am_jim Level 1

Thanks for your help.

Moving the sky to a layer did it.  It seemed to me that was a quicker (and less tedious) than doing it all with the healing brush, which is what I've been doing.

And, gosh, you were definitely right.  The Vanishing Point feature was indeed the one to use.  I've been using CS4 so it's new to me and I hadn't gotten around to fooling with it but made removing the dish very easy and looking perfect.

• 8. Re: Help With Content Awareness
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Donny Hoyle does a great, and very funy tutorial on Vanishing point:

Or check out Donnie Holye on My Damn Channel for lots more

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/channel/you_suck_at_photoshop_1906