4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 5:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 problem

Wullie Broon

I have recently purchesed Premiere Elements 12 on to my old pc which has windows XP on it and has seemingly incompatible display drivers. I cannot get the drivers now. Is it possible for me to some-how re-load the editing program onto my Lap-top instead? I have already paid for Elements 12 but never got the chance to use it.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Wullie Broon

Supplement to Yes.

How did you purchase Premiere Elements 12, as a purchased online download or from an installation disc in a boxed packaging of the product?

Whatever the case on that point, please see if you can remedy your Premiere Elements 12 Windows XP situation by deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. In Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, it can be found:

Local Disk C

Documents and Settings

All Users

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file for version 12 that you delete. This Premiere Elements Folder may have some folders in it. You do not want anything in those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder. You just want the BadDrivers.txt file in that Premiere Elements Folder named in the path above. Make sure that you are set up with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

If that does not work and you need to install Premiere Elements 12 on your laptop, then

a. Deactivate Premiere Elements 12 from XP

b. If you have no further plans for Premiere Elements 12 on XP, then uninstall it via the Control Panel route.

My concern is what you have in the way of Premiere Elements 12 installation files. If you purchased the program as an online download and you downloaded to Windows XP 32 bit computer, I am not sure if those files will be applicable for installation on a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit system. Best check with Adobe Chat on that by clicking on the following link. When it opens, click on the statement "Still Need Help? Contact Us" to bring up the Adobe Chat on the topic of Serial number issues or activating my product. If you purchased download files from Adobe, you might also get help under the topic of Orders, Refunds, and Exchanges.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=serial-number-issues-o r-activating-my-product

Do you still have the original download files or installation disc and purchased serial number?

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 problem
            Wullie Broon Level 1

Thanks for your quick response. I first down-loaded a trial version of Elements 12 which only lasts a few weeks. I then decicided to go for the full version, so I paid for, then down-loaded it from the internet. I've never managed to get it going at all. I keep getting a pop-up telling me: "We have detected an incompatable display driver. Please update your display driver". When I try to look for the driver, I cannot find it any-where. I am totally stuck. I love editing and wish to continue this function. I used to have Premiere Elements 1. This worked great untill one day it refused to burn edited projects onto disc. I tried fitting a new DVD drive to my PC but that made no difference. I un-installed Elements one then re-installed it. This problem still persisted. I could still edit ok but not burn the final project to DVD disc. I filmed a friends wedding and as a re-payment for doing his wedding, he gave me the money to invest in Elements 12. I purchased it but still havent got the use of it. The program refuses to even open because of the pop-up message. It's driving me nuts. How does deleting drivers help. I thought this would just compound the problem. I ran out of time whilst chatting to one of the Adobe online assistants. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help. William Brown.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 problem
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Wullie Broon

Premiere Elements 12 is supported on Windows XP SP3 32 bit. I have run such a program setup successfully. You would have the opportunitity for more resources if Premiere Elements 12 were on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer, but let us see what we can do with what you have.

The Video Card message.

1. Find out what video card your computer uses....

a. Go to Control Panel and the System category.

b. Then follow the progression with clicks from there

System Properties

Hardware Tab

Device Manager

Display Adapters

The name of your Video Card

(note if 1 or 2 cards are listed there)

c. You can double click the name of your Video Card and select the Driver Tab of the dialog that appears.

Then stop there and let us know what you found.

Then we will decide if we can update the driver for the card to a more recent version.

If we cannot, then we will delete the BadDrivers.txt file as I detailed in a prior post.

Let us do this a quickly as possible. Hopefully we can resolve the issue, but, if not, I want you to have your 30 day money back rights in the matter.

You will not be deleting any drivers, just a BadDrivers.txt file. The rationale for doing that is described in an older thread which is still applicable to your issue. Please read post 10 in the following thread for an explanation for the BadDrivers.txt file situation and the rationale behind the deletion of it as a fix for display card error message syndrome.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR