12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2016 1:47 AM by aafrempong

Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

zimbop Level 1

I'm repeating the same actions over and over with many, many files into many, many documents and thought I'd ask to see if anyone could help to speed me up by removing one repetative step.

I'm placing multipage PDFs into an indesign document.

For example:

page 1 of multipage PDF goes on page 13 of the INDD

page 2 of multipage PDF goes on page 14 of the INDD

page 3 of multipage PDF goes on page 15 of the INDD

page 4 of multipage PDF goes on page 16 of the INDD

Every single time I go to place the document I have to select the page to place (this seems reasonable) but also the crop to, which is always "bounding box" whereas I always want "Media".

Is there any way to fix this option to media?

I don't want to split the PDFs into separate pages as I don't have all the fonts and by splitting them the fonts are no longer embedded. Also, each of the documents has varying different fonts so chasing them all down would be an expensive nightmare.

I'd be interested to hear how other forum members would tackle such a task!

• 1. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The crop option should be sticky if you pick a single PDF to import, selct the option, and place it. Your choice should now be the defualt until the next time you make a change.

• 2. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
            zimbop Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks, but it's not a sticky option for me in InDesign CS5.5 on Mavericks.

Here's what I'm doing.

1. Place blah.pdf
            2. by default page 1 of blah.pdf is selected, so simply choose "media" from crop options and OK
            3. Move to next page in .INDD and place blah.pdf again
            4. Choose page 2 of blah.pdf to import
            5. Crop option is still set to "bounding box", was hoping it would be sticky "media" but no, have to constantly keep reselecting the same thing, not very clever.

Seems like not much of a deal until you've imported a few hundred pages!

• 3. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

It shouldn't be changing like that. Try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                zimbop Level 1

Hello again Peter, and many thanks for the confirmation on this. A couple of months ago I had a another issue with preferences being corrupted. I wonder what it is that I'm doing that is leading to this.

• 5. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

Hard to say... Do you run any utilities in the background?

• 6. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                    zimbop Level 1

A few things, but nothing that should be messing with the library.

• 7. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

zimbop wrote:

A few things, but nothing that should be messing with the library.

Should being the operative word...

• 8. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                        zimbop Level 1

Hey Peter, are you aware of any utilities in particular that are known to cause trouble?

• 9. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                          zimbop Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

It shouldn't be changing like that. Try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

I've been working on this issue and trashing prefs hasn't fixed it. The other problem I was experiencing is also back (show baseline grid shortcut not working).

I've tried the following:

• Manual trash of prefs
                          • Trash prefs using the cmd-alt-ctrl-shift starup option
                          • Removed every utility I could find, rebooted and trashed prefs again

Interested to hear if there are any utilities known to mess with InDesign

• 10. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                            zimbop Level 1

Aha! One of the problems is solved - the default InDesign shortcut for Show Baseline Grid is being overridden by the Keyboard shortcut preset for Move Focus To The Window Drawer. I didn't set this up, either it's default in Mavericks or an app I use added it. I Disabled all these and the problem of the Baseline Grid shortcut disappears.

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.51.20.png

Now I just have to get my head around the PDF import issue.

• 11. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

Try it in a new user account to see if it behaves differently.

As far as third-party software conflicts, I don't have a list, sorry (though I recall some discussion of troubles with MacKeeper in the past, and Suitcase has been implacated in some strange behavior from time to time). I'm a Windows user.

• 12. Re: Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset
                                aafrempong Level 1

Placed Multipage PDF crop to preset

Consider a 100-page document already open in Indesign, on a Mac. Assume that one wants to replace pages 13 to 16 by importing new pdfs (4 pages: from 16 - 13 plus 1)

Preliminaries: Scroll down to the end of the document in Indesign, and record the total number of pages, 100; one will use this number of pages as a check when the replacement process has been completed. Also, note down the contents of pages 13-16, because these pages will later be identified and deleted. The two main actions involved are: (a). Insert the new pdfs and (b). Delete the original  “13-16” content  plus any unwanted extra blank pages (about 3 pages) that may show-up after importing the 4 pages.

Step 1:  From Layout (on the tools bar)>>pages>>insert pages

Step 2: Enter the number of pages, 4,  “ For Insert ”  choose “before page”.

(that is, switch from “after page” to “before page”  and enter page “13” to the right .   

That is, insert 4 blank pages starting on page 13.

Step 3: From Windows (on tools bar)  >>Utilities>>scripts>> then Applications>>  

Applescript and scroll down to PlaceMultipagePDF.Applescript and double –

click  on it, and search for the new 4 page document and choose it.

Step 4 In the new “Place PDF” panel, enter 13 for the start page.

(The correct page is important)

Step 5: After the placement, the first page showing is a blank page (at page 17), and there may be

3 more following blank pages. Delete the blank pages and also by inspection, 

delete the old  4-page 13-16 page content by inspection (scrolling down) which   

may now be at pages 20-23

OR in one step, delete page 17-23  (7 pages = (3 +4) pages)

Step 6: Scroll down to the end of the document. The total number of pages should be 

100.  If it is more than 100, there are undeleted pages after the placement. If the 

total number is less than 100, there are missing pages.