4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 12:26 PM by Rick Gerard

Pasting paths to brush position in AE

MuseumsSheffield Level 1

I'm trying to use the write on effect to reveal a simple smiley face. I've constructed the face in AI as 4 grouped lines (2 x eyes, mouth, circle for head). I've brought the illustration into AE as a compostion and added the srite on effect, I've adjusted the brush size and clicked reveal original image. I now want to reveal each part of the face as if it's bring drawn so want the brush position to follow the paths of the illustration. When I copy the paths from AI and past into the brush position of the write on effect I always get masks pasted and not the keyframes for positons that I'm expecting. Where am I going wrong?

I also want to make a simple pencil illustration follow the write on effect, so the tip of the pencil looks like it's revelaing or drawing the face. Can someone sugges the best process for doing this?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Pasting paths to brush position in AE
          MuseumsSheffield Level 1

OK new problem. I've managed to get the path locations pasted over to the brush positioon as a keyframe sequence. I simply ungrouped the illustration and animated it in component parts. The issue is now that when I paste my path location the position that my write on movement makes is way off my illustrator layer, not over the top of it. I can't seem to align the image to be revealed with the brush position keyframe movement. Anyone else had this issue?

• 2. Re: Pasting paths to brush position in AE
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is no "issue". You are just muddling through and don't understand how this works. Brush coordinates (or any other effects coordinates for that matter) are relative to the layer, not the comp. If the sizes, position and scale of two layers don't match, then coordinates are off and that is most definitely what happens here - you scale your AI artwork while applying the strokes to a comp-sized solid or whatever. Before making even more of a mess I strongly suggest you read the help or watch a good tutorial...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Pasting paths to brush position in AE
              MuseumsSheffield Level 1

Hi Mylenium

A number of things here:

1. "There is no "issue". You are just muddling through and don't understand how this works." - Very true but highly unhelpful and a little patronising. Not really any need to highlight the fact that I don;t know what I'm doing when I'm on a fourm askign for help!

2. "Brush coordinates (or any other effects coordinates for that matter) are relative to the layer, not the comp. If the sizes, position and scale of two layers don't match, then coordinates are off and that is most definitely what happens here - you scale your AI artwork while applying the strokes to a comp-sized solid or whatever." - I'm struggling to follow you here. I'm with you ont he first sentence but the second is just a regurgitation of my actual issue. "If the size, position and scale of two layers don't match, then the coordinates are off..." - Well yes, that's my point and the issue I'm trying to figure out but thanks for restating my issue with authority!

3. "Before making even more of a mess I strongly suggest you read the help or watch a good tutorial..." - Mmmm, again not really that constructive here Mylenium. Clearly I've come to the Adobe forum because I've tried and failed with tutorials. Don't get me wrong, I understand I need to learn but from my persepective I've followed at least 3 tutorials today and appear to be stumbling into the same issue each time.

The issue is I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong, not the fact that I'm not watching tutorials! Thanks for your condicending criticism, anyone else?

• 4. Re: Pasting paths to brush position in AE
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That was really not a condescending response. Just a statement of fact. Write-on coordinates do not correspond to layer size. Change the way you create and import the Illustrator file and maybe you will have some success.

If your layer is 200 x 200 pixels and you're path starts at 0, 0 and moves to 200, 200 but your composition is 1920 x 1080, when you copy and paste the path from the layer to the write-on effect the path will be from 0, 0 to 200, 200. This only works if your layer is positioned at 100, 100. If the layer is anywhere in the composition other than the upper left-hand corner, the paths do not align.

I would not use write-on for this project. I would use stroke. It's much easier to control and copying and pasting paths works.

1 person found this helpful