6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 11:27 AM by D Fosse

Photoshop CS6 memory leak?

dtrachtman Level 1

PS currently takes 1.7GB of memory AFTER I have closed all the files. I have no plugins. The only thing that helps is restarting PS. Any thoughts? thanks

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This has been discussed. Do a forum search - history, undo stack, temp memory. Just closing files doesn't free up these parts. There is no leak, no bug, no issue, no whatever. It works as it is designed.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no leak, this is by design. Photoshop holds on to memory when you close down a file, up to the limit you have specified in preferences. The memory will be reused - and AFAIK released if the OS requests it.

This is all for speed reasons.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?
              dtrachtman Level 1

Thanks for the help. I am still a little confused. I did a search on "history, undo stack, temp memory" and nothing came up. Could you just tell me logic then?

I don't understand:

The memory will be reused - and AFAIK released if the OS requests it.

This is all for speed reasons.

It is never released and it absolutely does slow down my computer. Previous versions of PS never did this.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?

It has always worked like this. And this question comes up regularly.

If you have slowdowns in Photoshop this is not the reason. However, if you have the allocation set too high, other applications may be starved for memory and slow down.

One other thing enters the equation here. the Photoshop scratch disk. If it's too small and/or heavily fragmented, it may result in "out of memory" messages.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?
                  dtrachtman Level 1

I don't have slowdowns in PS, just the rest of the computer. I don't get "out of memory" messages. It sounds like the solution, more specifically may be:

Edit>Preferences>Performance and turn down the memory usage to something like 30% (depending on how many other apps you use, how big your PS files are, and how much RAM you have).

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 memory leak?

As low as 30 shouldn't be necessary, but depending on how many other applications are running at the same time, 60 or so might be worth a try. I have it at 70% on my 32GB system, because I routinely have 6 or 7 apps up and running and want them to have some headroom as well.