5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 11:05 AM by rob day

Sizing photoshop image

SB103

How do I size a hi res tif in PS to match the size it will be in Indesign?

• 1. Re: Sizing photoshop image
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Assuming you want it to be a particular size in InDesign, with the image open in Photoshop, call up the image size dialog and size the image accordingly. Save and Place in InDesign.

If that doesn't answer your question, you may have to rephrase or elaborate

• 2. Re: Sizing photoshop image
            SB103 Level 1

Hi John, I want it to be placed at 100% and look exactly like the lo res image I’ve scaled in Indesign so it is not larger than needed.

• 3. Re: Sizing photoshop image
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ahah...so you do indeed need a particular size. Select the low-resolution image in the InDesign page and see its dimensions in the Transform panel. As I posted above, use Photoshop's Image Size dialog to resize to those dimensions. Whether you resample or not is up to you, subject to all the perils of interpolation, etc. Assuming you're replacing the the low-resolution image, go back to InDesign. With the low-resolution image selected, Place the high-resolution version, and confirm that Replace Selected Object is ticked in the Place dialog. The result should be what you want, but since I can't answer for the history of the frame or the settings which may have been applied; if the new image comes in at a size which doesn't fit the frame, choose Object > Fitting > Fit Content to Frame.

• 4. Re: Sizing photoshop image
                SB103 Level 1

Thanks John! We are looking to keep the ID file size as low as possible. I appreciate the quick reply!

• 5. Re: Sizing photoshop image
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We are looking to keep the ID file size as low as possible

As long as you Place, rather than embed or paste the image, its actual resolution or file size will have little impact on the InDesign file size.