1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 8:29 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Interview audio problems - to much background noise and interviewees voice to quite - Please help!

Mootooman

Recently i was asked to do a video for a company about their bussiness, they wanted a short promo done.

I filmed 2 interviews with the owner and his wife, When i got home i found after turning the lav mic on and giving it to the older gentelman that he must of hit the stop button, meaning i dont have any audio from the lav of the interview.

I do however have audio from my camera and a shotgun mic i was using, The only problem is that we were filming on the warehouse floor so there are some loud sounds of machines in the background.

Any way i can salavage the audio? The man i was interviewing is one of those "Typical older white man who hates the younger generation and hates technolodgy" so re-doing the interview will be hard.

I have linked the audio file so if anyone could give it a go and try and get some of the background out, I have tried myself in audition cc but as a first time user in it and a first time user with audio i havnt had the best results...

http://clyp.it/ngrno3jh

Please Help, I will be forever in your debt!

• 1. Re: Interview audio problems - to much background noise and interviewees voice to quite - Please help!
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

I listened to this this morning, played it in Audition and noticed that it's mono. Is the original file stereo, by any chance? If it is, then there's a much better chance of improving it, although I have to say that even with the adaptive NR on the mono sample, the results were not usable.

The problem with all the background noise is that it's not constant. If it was, it would be much easier to reduce. The reason that stereo would help is that if the voice is in one position in the stereo field, it's much eaier to retain just that position in the field and reduce the rest, using the Center Channel Extractor.