11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:37 PM by George_Johnson

Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

Stef@MPRPD Level 1

What is the difference between having an Acrobat Plus membership, and having Adobe Pro software?  We are currently unable to use our Adobe Pro to convert existing paper documents into fillable forms (we have to create Word documents, import them to PDF format, and then use the Form Wizard in Acrobat Pro to add fillable fields).  We are looking for an easier way, and wonder if the Acrobat Plus membership provides easier ways to make fillable forms out of our existing PDF forms.

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Acrobat Plus won't give you any capabilities beyond Acrobat that will help you create fillable forms from scanned documents.

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
            Stef@MPRPD Level 1

Thanks George. 

Would you be able to clarify something for me?  The price list for Adobe Acrobat Plus on this site says that you can "Convert existing paper or electronic documents into forms."  It also says that it upgrades you to the full Acrobat XI.....is this the upgrade that allows for the conversion of scanned paper documents into forms?

• 3. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

Do you have a link to the page that says that? It is Acrobat that allows you to scan to PDF and turn it into a form, so if you have Acrobat Pro you won't gain anything (with respect to creating forms from scans) by getting Plus.

• 4. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
                Stef@MPRPD Level 1

Hi George -

It is on the FormsCentral Site main page.  Toward the top of the page you have a toolbar and you would select the "Pricing" option.  When you do that, it shows 3 different subscription options.  I was referring to the 3rd option (Adobe Acrobat Plus) in this e-mail.

As of this time, with the version of Adobe Pro that we have, we cannot scan a PDF and convert that scan into a form.  We have to create the document using MS Word, and then import it into Adobe for it to become fillable through the Form Wizard.  Do you know if the updated Adobe Acrobat (advertised on the pricing page) will allow us to scan an existing paper document (that we did not create in MS Word), and make that into a fillable form?

Thanks for your help! 

• 5. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

What happens if you try to run the form wizard after OCRing the scanned document: Tools > Text Recognition

The Form Wizard can only do so much, though. You can always add form fields manually as well. I rarely use it as the editing (changing field names, types of fields [e.g., radio buttons > check boxes], fonts, export values, size & position, various other properties, etc.) that I need to do to the fields it creates take about as much time as creating them from scratch.

• 6. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
                    Stef@MPRPD Level 1

That worked beautifully!  I scanned a paper document, ran OCR Text Recognition, saved it, and then added fields using the "Add Edit Fields". 

So, from what you've said, if we are merely looking to have the ability to post web based fillable PDF forms at an online site (such as employment applications, benefits forms), and we already have the Adobe Pro software, then really what we would look at is one of the FormsCentral subscriptions and NOT the Adobe Acrobat Plus subscription? 

• 7. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

What FormsCentral gives you is a reliable and secure means to collect the form data. So if that's what you want to do, FormsCentral is the easiest way to get it, and it's very reasonably priced. Be sure to check the documentation here on the limitations when using PDF forms with FormsCentral. The most significant is the 500 fields/form limitation.

Be aware also that users will need to use Adobe Reader when filling the forms and submitting. Browsers such as Chrome and Firefox have built-in PDF viewers that have limited/no support for PDF forms and/or submitting. Reader can be configured to work in browsers, so it will be a good idea to provide instructions on how to set things up.

Another big source of problems is Mac users who use Preview (the default OSX PDF viewer) to work with PDF forms. It corrupts them in a number of ways, so it's a good idea to inform your users that they should use Adobe Reader.

• 8. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
                        Stef@MPRPD Level 1

I checked out all the templates available.  Do you know if the templates created by Adobe (for example, the Employment Application), can be customized with our own logos and instructional text?  Can additional fields be added to these template forms if we need to collect more/different data?

• 9. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

Sure, that's what they're intended for. Find a template that comes close to what you want and change it to suit your needs.

• 10. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?
                            Stef@MPRPD Level 1

EXCELLENT! 

My manager asked another question (and thank you again for all your help George):   Our IT department said that they think Adobe will no longer be offering Pro as a software package that you can purchase alone....but that if you want upgrades in the future, you have to obtain it via the website in subscription form (like on FormsCentral).  Is this the case?  And if so, would we save money by subscribing to the Adobe Acrobat Plus to have access to the most recently updated Acrobat software?

Also, how many people would have access to a subscription (so if my manager wanted both herself and me to create/edit forms, could we both use the same subscription)?

• 11. Re: Adobe Acrobat Plus vs Adobe Pro?

I can't say whether or when Adobe will discontinue perpetual licenses for Acrobat and switch exclusively to a subscription model, because I don't know. That is clearly the direction they're heading though.

It is a nice feature of most Creative Cloud apps that you get updates that include new features on a regular basis, not just once every 1-2 years. I don't know if they will do this with Acrobat though. They do not currently, even though Acrobat 11 is included with CC.

Regarding how many people can access an account, that is something you should ask about in a separate post here. The FormsCentral team is very good about responding and you'll get a definitive answer.