2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 12:30 PM by Piggybank

Indesign CC with Typekit crashes when saving to IDML. Is there a workaround?

nowprojecting

I turned on Creative Cloud and synched fonts using Typekit. All was good until I had to save to an IDML file. Indesign crashes each time I try, about half way through the process. Things I've done to fix:

1. Quit Creative Cloud app and restarted Indesign.  No luck.

2. Uninstalled Indesign then re installed. No Luck.

There appears to be an incompatibility with Typekit and IDML.  Even when typekit is turned off with no syncing.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Indesign CC with Typekit crashes when saving to IDML. Is there a workaround?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've not experienced that issue with Typekit fonts and IDML. Typekit fonts are really nothing different except that they are licensed not to be able to be packaged. They are just regular OpenType fonts.

I'd start by restoring your InDesign preferences first just to see if that fixes the problem. Here's how:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

• 2. Re: Indesign CC with Typekit crashes when saving to IDML. Is there a workaround?
            Piggybank

For anyone else who searches and finds this... I am experiencing a very similar (maybe same?) issue, when trying to export PDFs. It seems as though any time I try to export a file with Typekit fonts in it, InDesign crashes. I can't say for sure it's the Typekit fonts that are doing it, but there does seem to be a very strong correlation. Restoring preferences didn't solve it.

I have had success outlining the suspected fonts and then exporting, but that isn't always a reasonable option.

The more useful thing I found is that if instead of "Export" I choose "Print" and then choose "Adobe PDF" in the Print dialogue, I can then "export" successfully, without crashing.

Hopefully this might help someone out. And to someone who knows more about how the software works, (Adobe rep?) it might even shed some light on what's actually causing it in the first place...