3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 9:40 PM by Silkrooster

How do I save only the masked area of an image file to include it as layer in another document?

lwerth124 Level 1

I need to combine two different image files in order to get all  highlights and shadows (same scene exposed from a tripod, not wanting  HDR). What I try to do is to separate some part of the picture through a  mask, and then save the content of this mask as a separate file in  order to re-import it together with a whole picture as a layer into a  single file in order to get all highlights and shadows.
      What I used  to do after masking the part of the image and creating a new layer by  clicking on, say, curves, therefore creating a layer with a mask, was to  go to file\scrips\export layers to files, but what I get then is a  completely empty layer without the selected part of the image.
      What is the right procedure?

Lukas

• 1. Re: How do I save only the masked area of an image file to include it as layer in another document?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Huh? Adjustment layers have no pixels, so there is nothing to save. it seems you do not even understand some basic concepts of PS. Simply apply the mask directly to the image and save it as a PSD. No need to make convoluted hocuspocus.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How do I save only the masked area of an image file to include it as layer in another document?
            lwerth124 Level 1

Well, thank you for the answer, and if I sound stupid, believe me, I do feel so at the moment. The thing is, I seem to remember I did it the way I described in PS CS5, but in PS 6 this does not work any more - or I simply overlook something.

If you could just tell me how to "apply the mask directly to the image" so I get only the content of the mask? I would be grateful. Currently I feel as if my hands are tied at my back, and I have some quite urgent work to do.

Lukas

• 3. Re: How do I save only the masked area of an image file to include it as layer in another document?
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you see in the document is what you will see when you save it.

I recommend saving as a psd then if you really want to you can merge the layer or flatten (merge will leave the background transparent whereas flatten will give you a white backgound if there are any transparent areas in the document)

(ctrl-e or ctrl-shift-e {windows} cmd-e or cmd-shift-e {Mac})

Or you can leave the layers alone and create a composite (A new merge layer on top of the other layers)

(ctrl-shift-alt-e {windows} cmd-shift-opt-e {mac})

That said not all formats support layers or transparency. An example of that is jpg when you save with that format you will get a single flattened layer that will have a white background anyplace there was transparency.

To recap:

1)Always work on a duplicate file when doing destructive work so you can return later and undo what you did.

2)When ever possible use non-destructive edits such as a composite layer.

3)If you require layers or transparency it is required that you use a format that supports them like tiff or psd

4)Use jpg as a file for sharing and never as the master file. Because the format is destructive and throws out data each time you open and save it.