1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 6:46 AM by JEShort01

HDD with 64mb cache or 128mb cache?

yash-lucid Level 1

If I missed this info on the tweakers page then someone needs to catch a flight SA and throw a keyboard in my face because I looked! I did!

I was 99% decided on my new PC build when my computer supplier emailed with reduced prices on Seagate Constellation 4tb drives with 128mb cache, versus the other 4tb drives I considered that had 64mb cache.

How beneficial is this cache when it comes to multicam video editing and layering effects/colour grading? It's quite a bit more costly and from the research I've quickly done, it appears that it isn't worth the extra thousand (or hundred, in dollar terms...) so please could someone explain pros/cons? Thanks!

• 1. Re: HDD with 64mb cache or 128mb cache?
          JEShort01 Level 4

More cache is of course better, but I suspect you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 4TB drives with 64 vs 128MB cache.

Windows caches your drive activity too and you have Gigabytes of RAM to work with, not just Megabytes.

For Premiere, you want to run risky and fast:

- right click from file manager on a drive letter to get the Properties dialog box

- select the hardware tab, highlight your drive, and click Properties

- select the Policies tab

- select "Better Performance" (default) for removal policy

- check the "Enable write caching on the device (default)

- check the "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing" (default is not checked)

Jim