11 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 7:11 AM by Szalam

Wiggle on a wiggle!

SpencerCarpenter

Hi Guys,

Does anyine have any idea how to create a 2 layered wiggle?

By this I mean for instance a large wiggle with another smaller wiggle over the top of it.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for any sugestions.

Spencer

• 1. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
          Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Apply wiggle to layer - Precompose, then apply second wiggle?

Pierre

• 2. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Another option:

Create a null object and place it in the same position as your layer.  Parent the layer to the null.  Apply one wiggle expression to the layer, and the other to the null.

• 3. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can also simply add together the two wiggles in teh expression code.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
                SpencerCarpenter Level 1

Thanks for the suggestins guys.

Just to create some perspective it's to help me create a lightning effect using particular and applying this movement to the emiiter.

So really this needs to be a script work around as opposed to nesting comps.

I'll play around with the other ideas thanks guys.

• 5. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you trying to do with Particular that you can't achieve with the Advanced Lightning effect? Perhaps we could figure out a better solution.

• 6. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
                    SpencerCarpenter Level 1

I'm recreating the Spiderman 2 electro lightning effect for a trainer ad. This means the lightning needs to be 3d so it can sync with the c4d model of the trainer and be highly controllable.

So far the only way I can get particular to vibrate as fast as lightning is to use the air turbulence within the physics rollout but I'm struggling with getting a good 'lightning strand' effect. Since lightning is wobbly in a big way but then also in a small way I figured a wiggle in a wiggle for the particle emmiter would give me the right effect. God knows how to create branching though with this effect. Luckily most of electros electricity doesn't branch that much so hopefully I'll be able to get away with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Spencer

• 7. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!

You can tie 2d points to 3d space with expressions very easily and you can change the start and end size of the lightning, so you could still use Advanced Lightning and keep it looking 3d.

Let's pretend you have a null in 3d space called LIGHTNING ORIGIN from which you would like your lightning to originate.

thisComp.layer("LIGHTNING ORIGIN").toComp([0,0,0]);

That expression in the start point of the lighting will make your lightning follow a point in 3d space.

• 8. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
                        SpencerCarpenter Level 1

Yes thanks I might be able to use for a few shots however I also need the lighting to go around bent 3d surfaces. Does your solution effectively track the 3d positions in 2d so it can be overlaid on top?

• 9. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Particular isn't really a 3d effect either (it just respects the AE camera movements), but you can use the same tricks with a depth pass to make either Advanced Lightning or Particular appear to integrate with your scene as far as wrapping around 3d elements. You could use Bezier Warp, Mesh Warp, the Puppet Pin tool (this would require some precomposing), or any of several other effects to make the lightning shape less linear.

Now, one thing you can do with Advanced Lightning that you can't do with Particular (besides branching) is the alpha obstacle feature. This is super-useful. It's an awesome way to make lightning interact with an object in a very natural way.

I would create a precomp with your object buffer on the trainer as a luma matte so that, in your main comp, you have the trainer on its own layer. Thus, you have alpha!

Read about alpha obstacle and the other features of Advanced Lightning here.

Or you could use C4D to make your lightning. (With Global Illumination, you could even have it light up your scene very realistically. There are several solutions out there for lightning with a simple google search including this Python generator.

• 10. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!
                            SpencerCarpenter Level 1

Thanks again for your response szalam.

I will look into the advanced lightning more as I wasn't aware of the alpha obstacle feature and maybe some others.

I'm not really sure that using warps and other similar effects would do for integrating with a 3d scene other than on a case by case basis and the need for essentially roto work to keep it tidy. I probably will use it however on some shots that lend themselves to that sort of treatment.

I do see particular as a valid 3d solution as motion paths passed over from cinema will translate almost directly into 3d particle emmitter paths in ae with precision.

Thanks

Spencer

• 11. Re: Wiggle on a wiggle!

SpencerCarpenter wrote:

I do see particular as a valid 3d solution as motion paths passed over from cinema will translate almost directly into 3d particle emmitter paths in ae with precision.

For some shots, I'm sure Particular will do very well. You can use the Aux system to do some random branching off of the main stroke.