6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 8:31 AM by Willi Adelberger

Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?

Corndog

I am working on a project in CS4 and provided it to the client. Now they have come back and want the file in CS2! Is there a way to do this, so I don't have to re-do the project?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Corndog – yes and no.

Yes, if you have InDesign CS3. Then it's a 2-step process:
          Export to inx from CS4. Open the inx file in CS3, export as inx in CS3. Send the file to the client.
          Together with a PDF exported from CS3.

Yes, if you do not have InDesign CS3, but want to do some editing in the exported inx file from CS4 using a text editor. Details on that later, if you want (and dare editing).

No, if you do not have InDesign CS3 and/or want to edit a inx file.

I have to say, that this workflow is a very, very dangerous one!

Do NOT expect that all the formatting is preserved and all the page obejcts stay as designed in CS4!

Uwe

• 2. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?
            Corndog Level 1

I do not have CS3, but would like additional info on the process without using CS3.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?

@Corndog – I cannot promise that the following will work in every case, but you can try.

Here an example of code from an INX file exported from InDesign CS4 (second line in the file opened by a text editor):

<?aid style="33" type="document" DOMVersion="6.0" readerVersion="5.0" featureSet="257" product="6.0(622)" ?>

And here the code from the same file exported from InDesign CS3:

<?aid style="33" type="document" DOMVersion="5.0" readerVersion="4.0" featureSet="257" product="5.0(682)" ?>

Note the values for:

1. DOMVersion: "6.0" vs. "5.0"

2. readerVersion: "5.0" vs. "4.0"

3. product: "6.0(622)" vs. "5.0(682)"

So, by editing the inx file in the second line of code and saving with text only (no formatting like rtf etc.), you have a chance to mimic the export of an inx file from InDesign CS3.

After editing, open the inx file in InDesign CS4 to check, if editing was ok.

Better, of course, would be someone who can do the backsaving step by step for you.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would strongly recommend not to onvert it down. With each version new features have been added, old functionality was rebuild with different algorithm, dictionaries have changed. So you will definitively loose so much that it is not worthy to do it.

But if you want to convert it, you have to do so:

1. Save/Export as IDML
                2. Open IDML in CS and save as INDD
                3. Export that INDD in CS4 to INX
                4. Open that IDML in CS3, save it as INDD
                5. Export from CS3 as INX (it is a different one than in CS4)
                6. Open that INX in CS2 and resaave it as INDD.

Because with INX was only one step backward possible.

I think it is a terrible behaviour of clients because they think they have CS2 for free (which is not true) and are able to do everything themselves.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?

@Willi – all true…
                  But what to do, if the customer is begging for trouble? ;-)

Uwe

• 6. Re: Is it possible to back/convert save an InDesign CS4 file to CS2?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You have to send him the bill for additional work. If he is not willing to pay for additional work, it makes economical no sense to keep this client. And the requirement of Do-it-myself files indicates that this client does not want a longer relationship in the future.