7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 8:35 PM by Noel Carboni RSS

Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore

tksleeper

On my laptop I choose an adjustment option and it creates a new layer and layer mask.  On the imac it only creates the layer with the adjustment.   I have to manually add the mask.

I can't find a preference or setting or anything to get the two to behave the same way.

Regards,

Kelly

• 1. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Layers Panel Options from the Layers Panel’s fly-out menu.

layersPanelOptions.jpg

• 2. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
            JJMack CommunityMVP

Adobe added bad  Photoshop options in the Adjustment Panel fly-out menu changing them from their default settings make Photoshop operation inconsistent. Make sure there at their default setting and don't touch.

cs4bug.jpg

• 3. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
              c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Ah, sorry, my bad.

• 4. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
                tksleeper Community Member

I had opened that fly out and flat out missed the option.. you'ld think my wife had asked me to find something in the refrigerator.. had that been a snake it would have bitten me..

Thank you for the response.

Kelly

• 5. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

Inconsistent if you're running actions that require certain default behavior, but otherwise not.  I don't happen to use such actions personally, and I have no problems after disabling the default "add a layer mask" behavior.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
                    JJMack CommunityMVP

Inconsistent from Photoshop UI as well as from Actions.  And becase I know what will cause them to fail. I can create actions and scripts that I know will work no matter how they are set. The step will work the same way no matter which way the options are set.

For example disable add layer mask you wrote you have no problem doing that.  Do a Ctrl+A (select all) then add an levels adjustment layer to the current layer. You will find that the levels adjustment layer is added with a layer mask.  Photoshop will work that way in actions and from its UI.   So I can record and add adjustment layer and know for sure  a layer mask will be added no matter how a user set the fly-out option.     I can also use Photoshop menu Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Type.  And in its dialog I can Check  use previous layer to create clipping mask.  The Adjustment layer will be clipped no matter which way the fly-out option is set.

These options breakes  Photoshop original design they are bad options and their implementation is poor. Actions and scripts can not set these options. Scripts can not find out how they are set either. You write Plug-ins do you add adjustment layers in any of them?

Without using these bugs automating adjustment layers is hit and miss. You would not know the state of the adjustment layer you would not know if you had to add a layer mask or modify or replace the existing mask.  You would not know if the adjustment layer applied to all lower layer or just the previous layer.

Its a good thing you don't use such action for they could  have problems....

• 7. Re: Adjustment layers not opening mask anymore
                      Noel Carboni Community Member

That's a good and innovative workaround, JJ - thanks for sharing it.

-Noel