7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:26 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image

ssobol

Windows 7. Service Pack 1. Fresh Display drivers. Quicktime installed.

Windows announces that the program has stopped working - claims to look for a solution - and then shuts it down. I've uninstalled APE12 and reinstalled. The organiser collapses similarly. Strangely I can add audio without problem.

All rather tedious. I very much liked a previous version of Premiere I had.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

this worked for another user with the same problem, .  Set the Documents folder of your Windows Vista/7/8 back to the default one (located in the C:\Users folder) and volia, it loads with no crashes!

and these suggestions (for pr 8) are still relevant for pr 12, http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/unexpected-quit-crash-premiere-elements.html

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
            ssobol Level 1

Thanks - but no joy. Have set documents folder to default, and also applied latest updates to 12.1. Still image now loads - but program crashes when you add it to the timeline.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
              ssobol Level 1

OK I seem to have this sorted:

1 Open Premiere

2 Open Organiser

3 Close Premiere

4 Configure Organiser

5 Close Organiser

6 Open Premiere...

With organisers like this....

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
                Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ssobol

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

You say that you have the latest version of the video card/graphics card driver according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. Do you have 1 or 2 video cards/graphic cards?

What is your antivirus program? McAfee? Whatever the case, does the problems exist if you disable the antivirus program?

Are you set for Run As Administrator as well as running from User Account with Administrative Privileges?

How would you class this issue, "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

What are the full properties of your source media and what have you or the program setting as the project preset to match the properties of that source media?

Although you have said you did an uninstall reinstall, please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Just in case note, if uninstall/reinstall comes up again...suggested protocol

• Help Menu/Sign Out in the open project
                  • Uninstall via usual Control Panel Route
                  • Computer ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

• Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned Off

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
                    ssobol Level 1

Thank you for the detailed response and advice. The program is now working fine as far as I can see - that was what I meant by 'sorted' - resolved, fixed, finished, concluded.

For the record - Windows 7 32 bit. No McAfee only windows security. One video device/card. Administrator rights. The problem appears to have arisen as I tried to use APE12 without first getting the 'Organiser' thing properly settled. Apologies if all this was in your small print and thanks again for your prompt and informative response.

Regards,

Steve

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 stops working after add media image
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Glad to learn of your success. Great job.

The Jeff A. Wright transfer of your thread from wherever it was to the Premiere Elements Forum here made me think that there were unsolved issues.

Always great news to learn "sorted' - resolved, fixed, finished, concluded".

Best wishes

ATR