5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 9:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere 12 text tracking?

jayce103 Level 1

Hi all,

I currently have the 11 after buying it I learnt that it cannot do the tracking like the videos I watched with prem 10.  I now have learnt that it is back in 12, however every video so far has been about clipart or images.

Can I use regular text as a tracking object, I feel the speech bubbles look a little tacky (my opinion only of course).

Cheers for any help.

Jayce

• 1. Re: Premiere 12 text tracking?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jayce103

Thanks for asking about the Motion Tracking Mode in Premiere Elements 12 Expert and Quick workspaces. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Please take a look at blog post on "PE12: Motion Tracking What to Use to Track Object"

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe12-motion-trackingwhat-to-use-to.html

And, the following AdobeTV video tutorial may answer some of your questions on this feature.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-12/motion-tracking/

Please review and consider. I can supply more supplemental information if needed. Just detail what has not been posted already.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....I will think about it some more, but you should be able to take a speech/thought bubble into the Motion Tracking feature, and, after Done, open the speech bubble/though bubble file in the Timeline in the Titler to remove the bubble graphic, leaving the text. Please try it and see if it works for you.

• 2. Re: Premiere 12 text tracking?
            jayce103 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply ATR!

I am running mac OS Lion.  I do not have PE12 just yet as I only bought PE11 6 months ago, however I really want the track option. 

I understand that the motion tracking option in PE12 can track graphics and video, but I want it to track text (Not the speach bubble option), just regular text that I can change font, height and colour.

Happy to re-purchase PE12 as long as this can be done.

Jayce

• 3. Re: Premiere 12 text tracking?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jayce103

Consider downloading and installing the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Mac from Adobe to determine if the program is compatible with your computer environment and meets your video projects requirements.

The Motion Tracking feature requires video (motion), not a still image. Note how I got around that in the blog post cited previously in your thread.

But, if you are talking about text (minus the speech/thought bubble) tracking an object in a Timeline video, you should be able to do that as I suggested.

Please clarify, and, if doable, I will post a suggested how to (with screenshots) in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere 12 text tracking?
                jayce103 Level 1

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

I am in the middle of downloading the 30 day trial as we speak so that I can see for myself.  Judging by your blog post on the "solution" it appears that it cannot be done by using the "text" option with in PE12, but by creating a rtl file and placing this into the clipart section - which - I didn't want to have to do.

I hope that Adobe changes this on an update, but unless anyone as any info to say otherwise I think this is not really what I need...

Jayce

• 5. Re: Premiere 12 text tracking?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jayce103

Thanks for taking a look at the Premiere Elements 12 options in this matter.

This is not Adobe. Just user to user.

We will look forward to your results. You may get a different perspective on the possibilities once you go through the workflow, but maybe not.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR