7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 7:22 AM by Casu2013

Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help

rosebudd Level 3

I have implemented GA tracking in my Edge Animate compositions. I have actually been using this method for a long time on landing pages and even to track events in Flash like rollovers, when I wasn't building a rich media vendor file.

Unfortunately Google Analytics has changed alot since this blog post in 2012. I can see my page views, I can see my exits which were clicks on buttons that go to a URL. I however can not find what i used to see in GA, the names I gave my events to identify them.

Any plans to update this with instructions since there is no longer Standard Reporting > Content > Events in Google Analytics

http://blogs.adobe.com/edge/2012/06/29/would-you-like-some-statistics-with-that/

• 1. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

When you log into GA do you see the Behavior > Events section?

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help
            rosebudd Level 3

I see the names of the HTML page that Edge Animate created, that I have uiploaded to the server. I don't see what I used to see, the names I gave to onClick events that told me someone has clicked on something actionable on a landing page.

I used to use this: onclick="javascript:pageTracker._trackPageview('/ads/carXtires'); and I would see carXtires and that would tell me how many times navigation that went to an advertisers website was clicked on for that particular link.

I gave my click events in Edge names like _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'MercedesLg', 'Click', 'Mercedes website']);

But all I see is the impressions from me going to the page to click on my buttons to try to make my clicks show up in GA

• 3. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help

I suspect it is a change in the way GA tackles event tracking.

The latest changes to GA, if you switched (I believe it is an option when you sign in. I did this when it first crossed over from Classic GA), then event tracking needs to follow Universal Analytics semantics - see here: Event Tracking - Web Tracking (analytics.js) - Google Analytics — Google Developers

I have a feeling, and it seems to reflect a similar code from sarahs original example, that your example is using the Classic Analytics but you have the Universal A active.

Hope this makes some sense - though I admit I have not tried this event tracking method, myself.

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help
                rosebudd Level 3

I did do the upgrade when prompted to. I am a designer not a reporting guru, I do tracking on things to tell me how they are working and to track things that are HTML5ish rather than rich media like Pointroll. I know I saw my click events last year in a Facebook feed I had working for awhile before Facaebook changed things up again.

Do you think if I create a new account I will have the choice to stick with the older Classic Analytics. I just want the simplest solution, which is how I remembered GA. IMO Edge Animate needs reporting, and it needs to be easy and convenient.

• 5. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help

I suspect if you create a new account it will default to the Universal A straight out of the gate and probably will not offer you the Classic A. Plus I think you may be compounding the issue further with additional accounts and switching tracking.

Again I admit not having tested the UA event tracking, but it may be worth the effort to do a very simple test project, with one or two events in it following the UA semantics to see if it appears.

Darrell

• 6. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help
                    rosebudd Level 3

Changed one of my CTA buttons to

$('#ctaBtnLg').on('click', function() {

ga('send', 'event', 'ctaBtnLg', 'click', 'Mercedes_site');

});

Will report back whether I see my clicks being reported.

• 7. Re: Need Google Analytics Edge tracking help
                      Casu2013

Hello,

And did it work with the new script?

I have the same problem.