1 2 3 Previous Next 91 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2014 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

PE 12

NWilson

Hoping to get hold of A.T.Romano

Hi, I have now downloaded PE 12 and remembering what you said last time about videos 1 & 2 there are only the following sections on the TL;

Text, Files, Narration and Audio.

unsure how to merge the aforementioned greenscreen vid and backdrop.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: PE 12
          A.T. Romano Community Member

NWilson

Thanks for the follow up from prior threads.

Premiere Elements 12 comes with two different workspaces, Quick and Expert. The Quick workspace does not have all the features and options as Expert workpace. From what you describe, it sounds like you are in the Quick workspace.

And, in the Expert workspace, the tracks can exist in a closed or opened configuration. In the screenshot below, Video 1 and Audio 1 are in the opened configuration whereas the other tracks shown are not. They can be opened by clicking on the triangle to the far left of the particular track panel in the Timeline area.

ExpertWorkspace.JPG

Please let us know if you are OK with this information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 12
            NWilson Community Member

Thankyou! Got it, now it wont let me drag the chroma key effect to the timeline, when i go to drag it it has a the sign that means it is not possible, any idea why?

• 3. Re: PE 12
              NWilson Community Member

It has put the video in front of the backdrop now but it hasn't taken away the green...

• 4. Re: PE 12
                NWilson Community Member

Hello Romano i am getting there slowly....I found the settings, adjusted what you called the Sensitivity but what was there was Opacity, but even my face is disappearing!, any suggestions?

• 5. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Just wanted to let you know that I have just seen your last posts. I will run through some screenshots on this to make sure we are in sync on where everything is.

Right now, do you have your green screen video on video 2 and your background on video 1?

Have you gone to fx Effects/Keying/Chroma Key and drag the effect into the green screen video on video 2?

Then with the green screen video on video 2 highlighted/selected, did you go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Chroma Key Panel expanded? If you did and if you had successfully applied Chroma Key Effect, you should see

ChromaKey.JPG

If you see only the Motion and Opacity Panels, then you have not successfully applied the Chroma Key Effect to the clip.

If the Chroma Key Effect is applied, click on the eyedropper in the Chroma Key Panel expanded and then click on the green in the image on screen. Then adjust the Sensitivity slider gradually to a optimal point where your green is replaced with black (transparency) and there are minimal edges around what is left. Lot depends on how you prepared the green screen image.

See if any of the above helps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 12
                    NWilson Community Member

Incredibly helpful pics, thankyou, i obviously didn't apply yhte chroma key effect successfully and guess what, I tried the blue screen effect and got great success!

• 7. Re: PE 12
                      NWilson Community Member

Another question, does PE only accept videos in mp4 form? tried to upload a video clip and it didn't like it can you recommend a good video converter i can download without it messing up the the coding on my laptop? (spent the last two days restoring my laptop due to a vid converter messing up drivers in my laptop)

• 8. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Regarding your post numbered 6

Great job with the Blue Screen Effect. But, if you can do that, the Chroma Key Effect should work for you on an overall basis. But, go with what works for you. The Chroma Key Effect is worth an extra try.

Regarding your post numbered 7

.mp4 at the end of a file name is just the file extension which represents the wrapper (container format of the file). It is not the video compression which could be several possibilities. These days, mainly AVCHD video compression which you might see represented as MP4 AVC/H.264. Bottom line is that we need to know more about the file properties to figure out why problems importing this file into Premiere Elements. What is brand/model/settings for camera that is recording the video? If it is a cell phone (a recorder that is giving you a variable rather than a constant frame rate), the answer may be in converting the original to change from a variable to constant frame rate. Lots of possibilities.

Lately, I have been using HandBrake to get H.264.mp4 file for the videos that present in Premiere Elements as problematic. Another program that I like is MPEG Streamclip.

http://handbrake.fr/

http://www.squared5.com/

Either one should be able to do batch conversion if it comes to that.

Also, other programs ave available for this purpose. But, the above are my current preferences.

ATR

Add On...Some of the "helpful" downloads can be hazardous to the health of the computer. So, I have been staying with older versions or sites that I can trust. Recently some of the carry alongs with video properties readout program downloads have really messed up by computer browsers. Took seemingly forever to clean up the mess.

• 9. Re: PE 12
                          NWilson Community Member

Well the reason i thought mp4 had something to do with it was because i had 2 video clips, both from the same camera, and PE only accepted the one i converted to mp4. I use a Fuji Finepix S3300, as for settings..not sure where i would find those.

Question 1) I just need a basic title at the bottom of the screen of my superimposed parts of the video (to display website info) but all i can find are very fancy ones or ones that sit in the middle of the screen or scroll through the screen, any ideas?

2) Can i toggle between Guide and expert wtihout it altering what i have done on the TL?

Thankyou, i will be back to fiddle with PE soon, the manual seems incredibly basic!

• 10. Re: PE 12
                            NWilson Community Member

This is what comes up on the screen when I try and upload the file that ends with .AVI but it happily takes ones that end with .MP4IMAG0328.jpg

• 11. Re: PE 12
                              NWilson Community Member

I am now not having much luck putting in transitions, it wont let me drag&drop at all

• 12. Re: PE 12
                                NWilson Community Member

Please now ignore my post about transitions i have figured it out.

I just want to save a vid to be able to send to someone to via dropbox (as a small enough file so it doesnt take long to upload to dropbox) and also so i can view on my laptop.

Can you tell me from the attached image below if these are the correct settings?

Thankyou!

IMAG0329.jpg

• 13. Re: PE 12
                                  NWilson Community Member

Hi ATR, please check the thread for a couple of questions I have asked you. And here are a couple more.

1) I have altered the threshold and Cutoff in FX setting for GreenScreen but there is still a slight fuzzing around me so its not smooth, what can I do?

2)Please check thread re Publish and Share settings; (I attached a pic)

3) When I try to alter the background music that is behind my voice, it only alters part of it so some parts play back louder than other?

4)Can it publish as MP4?

Thankyou very much.

• 14. Re: PE 12

NWilson

The Adobe Premiere Elements Forum has been offline for over 24 hours, and I was able to find it open just an hour ago.

1. You should be working with Chroma Key. The Green Screen Key does not always give the best results. With Chroma Key, make a few different selections of the color to be replaced with transparency if you want to try to better your results. Then leave the rest of the Chorma Key sliders alone and focus on the Sensitivity one to get the best results possible. With the Sensitivity slider, I find that there is a optimal point after which the results deteriorate. Then, if necessary, experiment with the Threshold and other sliders. In the final analysis, how you prepared the "green screen" image is going to determine the outcome of the effect.

2. Your export settings success with be influenced by the Premiere Elements project settings consistencies. Assuming that you have a PAL DV Standard project preset, there should be no complications for exporting with

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with preset = PAL DV standard (720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 interlaced frames per second) for a MPEG2.mpg file

This also answer your questioned numbered 4 about .mp4 file.....I would suggest that you take a look at

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with preset = MP4 - PAL DV Standard (720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 interlaced frames per second) for the AVCHD.mp4 file.

See which gives you the best results. If neither, then we will review your Timeline content and project settings to decide on another output format.

3. If the SmartMix is not doing the job, then adjust the volume keyframes of the background audio at the Timeline rubberband level.

Or, establish the balance between the two audio tracks using the Audio Mixer.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Mixing audio and adjusting volume

More later. Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: PE 12
                                      NWilson Community Member

Thankyou for all of that info which I will be tackling over the next too. I was also wandering if I needed to make any alterations to the handbrake screen once I upload the source?

• 16. Re: PE 12

NWilson

If you are going to use HandBrake to change your video frame rate from a variable one to a constant one, then the basics settings for HandBrake would include:

In Opening Area

Source

Open File

(I set the field that says Chapters to seconds)

Destination

Browse to and select and name the Save.

Output Settings = Mp4

Picture Tab

Use only if you want to change frame size as well as frame rate details.

Video Tab

Video Codec = H.264(x264)

Framerate (FPS) = 29.97 or other as needed. I prefer not to use "Same As Source" choice

Dot the choice of Constant Framerate

Start

Hit the Start Button at the top of the workspace.

Completion

Wait for the message Queue Finished in the progress bar at the bottom of the workspace.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: PE 12
                                          NWilson Community Member

IMAG0356.jpgThankyou, well I tried the setting for Mp4 and the video had a huge black frame and I'm almost spilling over the backdrop (see attched pic)

and I placed a pic top right hand corner which ended up also spilling over the backdrop. I am now attempting the MPEG settings, converting to mp4 via handbrake and then I'll see the outcome then!

Thanks

• 18. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Somewhere along the line we went out of sync on the communications.

I thought that you were dealing exclusively with 720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 frames per second. When you review that path the you have taken, do you see where the video resolution went off course to give you those black borders?

When you take your video into HandBrake, what does HandBrake Picture Tab show as the resolution for what you have imported?

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: PE 12
                                              NWilson Community Member

Yes I am dealing exclusively with those numbers. Will look into handbrake now.

Thanks.

• 20. Re: PE 12
                                                NWilson Community Member

IMAG0357.jpg

• 21. Re: PE 12
                                                  NWilson Community Member

Hello ATR I wandred if you could take a look at the Pic of the handbrake screen I attached a couple of days ago, Thanks.

• 22. Re: PE 12

NWilson

I think we need to review.

If you had imported a PAL DV Standard file (MPEG2.mpg @ 25 interlaced frames per second) into HandBrake, the HandBrake Picture Tab workspace would be expected to look like

MPEGStandard.JPG

Note that the Display size is 768 x 576.

If you had imported a PAL DV Widescreen file (MPEG2.mpg @ 25 interlaced frames per second) into HandBrake, the HandBrake Picture Tab workspace would be expected to look like

PAL Widescreen.JPG

Display Size is 1024 x 576.

What you present in post 20, looks like PAL DV Standard, but the Display Size is not consistent with PAL DV Standard.

If you exported PAL DV Standard from Premiere Elements, then my screenshot 1 should represent what you should be seeing in HandBrake Picture Tab.

In your HandBrake Picture Tab, under Cropping in Picture Tab, have 0 for the Top, Bottom, Left, Right sets (dot Custom if need be to make that sets.). I am not sure why your screenshot in post 20 is showing Top and Bottom each at 120.

Then let us know the outcome.

Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: PE 12
                                                      NWilson Community Member

Thankyou, those pics were quite blurry but from your useful information I will try and figure out where I went wrong over the weekend.

Thankyou for the info regarding Audio Mixing which I managed successfully.

• 24. Re: PE 12

NWilson

As you are working on your project over the weekend, please do not hesitate to stop and ask questions here if you are at a turning point in your troubleshooting.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 25. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Time for a recap and some reflections on the details....

You say that your camera is the Fuji Finepix S3300. I checked online and apparently that should give you 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. But that video is characterized by video compression MotionJPEG (often troublesome for Premiere Elements) and an .avi file extension. You appear to be in a PAL setup. So, what is your Fuji giving you....1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or 25 progressive frames per second?

And, early on you talked about two videos from the same camera (presumed the Fuji) and how one video worked and one did not. That seemed to be conversion of the MotionJPEG.avi to .mp4. Was that for all the clips from the Fuji or just that one? And, when you did the conversion from MotionJPEG.avi to .mp4, what did you use for the video compression and frame size and frame rate for the new .mp4?

All the above factors are going to impact how you set up your project to get the results you now have.

Now here is where complications might be setting in. From the screenshot that you posted a few posts back, I got the impression that you were in a PAL DV Standard 4:3 project. How did you get from 1280 x 720 16:9 (which appears to be your source before you mention conversion to .mp4 for one clip) to PAL DV Standard 720 x 576 4:3?

Please review the above and do not hesitate to let me know if I have misinterpreted any of the details that you posted.

Thanks for working through the suggestions and for your follow ups.

ATR.

• 26. Re: PE 12
                                                            NWilson Community Member

Hello ATR thank you for all of your info which i am taking in as and when I need it. Something has come up though.

When I upload a perfectly fine clip into Project Assets and put it in my timeline some of them tend to act as though they are buffering and the words are not in sync with the video. It seems permanent because i will close PE and open it again and it 'buffers' at the same places.

Can you help at all?

Also, the video clips are uploading perfectly fine into Project Assets I don't know why it didn't initially.

Thank you.

• 27. Re: PE 12

NWilson

When you import these clips which turn out to have audio out of sync issues, do you wait for any "audio conforming" to complete before doing anything in the project? You can look for this "conforming" activity in a bar at the bottom right of the workspace. The bar disappears after the conforming is completed. You may or may not see this type of audio conforming, but good to double check.

When you are playing back the Timeline with the audio out of sync atmosphere, are you looking and hearing a rendered Timeline, that is, no orange line over that Timeline content?

Remind me, did you say that any of your video is coming from a cell phone? If you are using cell phone video, the recording may have used a variable frame rate. In many cases, you may have to take the video with the variable frame rate into a program like HandBrake to change the variable to a constant frame rate.

Please review the above and then determine if any of it applies to your situation. Then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: PE 12
                                                                NWilson Community Member

Thank you ATR,

Yes, some clips say they are being conformed, some just go straight in. The clips are straight from my Fuji camera.

Yes I render the timeline then watch again and still it appears to be out of sync. This has only started occurring.

if I need to change the variable rate please could you take a pic of how the handbrake page set up ought to look?

Thanks again.

Also... I have a few days left and I will purchase the software. will I lose my videos??? because other than the sync issue everything else is going great!

• 29. Re: PE 12
                                                                  NWilson Community Member

One other thing..I just opened the video again and it definitely is out of sync, now it seems in different places. And does it need rendering every time I play it back?

Thanks.

• 30. Re: PE 12

NWilson

As long as you have an orange line over the Timeline content, if you want to assure the best possible playback of that Timeline content in the monitor in the Edit area, you render the Timeline content. But, let me ask you this, is the video not out of sync with it audio after you do the Timeline rendering?.

HandBrake would be particularly indicated if you had video that was recorded with a variable frame rate. The HandBrake workspace looks like the following when you open it

HandBrake.JPG

If we are targeting changing the variable to constant frame rate using HandBrake ... the quick and generalized thoughts....

1. Source at top left/Open File

2. Where it says "Chapters", I usually set that to "seconds".

3. Destination....browse to where you want the frame rate adjusted video saved on the hard drive and select it.

4. For Output Settings...leave at Mp4.

5 As for the Picture Tab, just assures that it looks like it does in the screenshot, with the exception that it will show your video Width and Height. Nothing to do under the Picture Tab.

6. Target is under the Video Tab.

Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

and put a dot next to Constant and set the Framerate as indicated by the middle ground between the minimum and maximum frame rate shown in the video audio properties readout.

After that, hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace, and wait for the message "Queue Finished" in the progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

I will be traveling until this coming Monday afternoon. During that time I hope to visit the threads in the forum when I get access to a computer. After Monday afternoon I will be back to the regular visits here.

Just make sure the Premiere Elements project presets are staying in agreement with what you are putting on the Timeline. When you post again, please confirm that this audio out of sync is all confined to before export and is not a consequence of after export.

Thanks.

ATR

• 31. Re: PE 12
                                                                      NWilson Community Member

ATR please help i have bought the software, all is fine but the videos i made still have the Adobe watermark 'Made with trial version' over it, do i have to produce these videos all over again?? Supposed to be sending them off today!

Thanks

• 32. Re: PE 12

NWilson

For the exports that you did from the tryout, you cannot remove the Adobe watermark.

But, if you still have the projects from which you exported those videos, you can remove the Adobe watermark from those projects and do the export again.

To remove the Adobe watermark from a tryout project, you open that tryout project file (project.prel) in the purchased program. The classical next step is to go to and click on Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files, and the Adobe watermark is gone in that project. But, many of us have found that just opening the tryout project.prel file in the purchased program and the Adobe watermark disappears automatically from that tryout project file. IDetermine which of the two choices works for you.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 33. Re: PE 12
                                                                          NWilson Community Member

Thankyou ATR I have successfully removed the watermark, and sent the videos to intended recipient, I would really like you to see this project once it has launched as I am really grateful for all of your help. Maybe I can upload a link here?

Does it make a difference if I render the TL before I place project assets on the TL or after??

• 34. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Thanks for the wonderful news of your great progress. Great job.

You must have the imports in Project Assets dragged to the Timeline before Timeline rendering is done to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content playing back in the Edit area monitor.

I am not sure how you are viewing the posts in your thread. If via email notification, then a just in case note. When you reply in your thread via that route, what you write is seen by all in the thread. You are not just replying to me. So if you post a link to your video in your thread, it will be seen by all.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance and are very proud of your accomplishments.

ATR

• 35. Re: PE 12
                                                                              NWilson Community Member

Hi ATR no i reply via the website.

One question, is it possible to save the software to a CD? was thinking if something ever happened to my laptop i would lose the software and have to buy it again!

Thanks.

• 36. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Generalization for now....

You probably would want to copy the whole disc content to a DVD disc. If and when you need to install the program, you would work from the set.up.exe file on the disc.

Did you know that, if you lost your installation disc, you can go to the following web site to download and install tryout version of the program into which you could insert your purchased serial number to make the tryout copy your working copy. This suggestion is applicable, at this time, to Premiere Elements 9, 10, 11, and 12 Windows or Mac.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

This link opens to the tryout for Premiere Elements 12 (Windows and Mac). To bring up another tryout version, when the link opens, in Search, type in "Premiere Elements (number of the version) tryout"

Please let us know if you need further information on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 37. Re: PE 12
                                                                                  NWilson Community Member

Sorry I should have stated that i downlaoded the software it's not on cd...

• 38. Re: PE 12

NWilson

Thanks for the information.

For now, it looks like you are covered moving forward as long as you have the purchased serial number.

ATR

1 2 3 Previous Next