4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 8:29 PM by JJMack

Photoshop CC scratch disc error

Angryblue

I'm having a frequent scratch disc error program when coming back to my computer after being away. I'll pull up the program ... which has already been open and it'll just say "a scratch disc error has occured" and then shuts down.

my local hard drive where photoshop is installed has 250g free

I've got an external drive set as an additional scratch disc with 1.51T free.

It seems like it could be more of a sleep issue or something with coming back to something that was already open and maybe the external being asleep? But that seems highly unlikely for it to just go "meh. whatever. close." when locally there's still plenty of space left.

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 14.2.1.570, time stamp: 0x52f4a9f2

Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x00000000000761c9

Faulting process id: 0x1960

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf64846ca3361b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\MSVCR100.dll

Report Id: e2abcc66-d092-11e3-9d59-50e549bba8c0

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC scratch disc error
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you tried deconfiguring the external drive from being used for scratch?  Make sure to restart Photoshop before testing.

I have seen other programs crash upon attempts to determine drive info when a Western Digital external USB drive is spinning up.

By the way, an external drive is often quite slow for use as a scratch drive.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC scratch disc error
            Angryblue Level 1

i'll try it out. I just have it as an additional as a backup. It's connected through usb3 and figured it couldn't hurt. i couldn't see it being the issue for an immediate freeze. that seems ridiculous.

This is a new problem. I've not had it do this all year or last year with the same configuration.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC scratch disc error
              Angryblue Level 1

It's been a few hours and i haven't bumped into that again yet. weird. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC scratch disc error
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have not had any real problems with letting my workstation with an external disk  enter sleep state. When the system wakes up I have often notice the my external 4TB Seagate usb 3 drive take some time to get running and will often see Windows Autoplay popup window for the drive.  However I don't use that drive for application work space like Photoshop scratch space.  For application may be off and running before the drive is ready after sleeping.  I find the USB3 external hard disk performs almost as well as my internal 10k RPM 500GB disk.  I did not expect that.