1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 3:58 AM by M_Hasteley

InDesign Error code: 5 - on Windows Server or Qnap

M_Hasteley Level 1

We keep getting nasty Error code: 5 corruption problems with our InDesign CC files on our corporate network. It doesn't seem like there's an obvious work around beyond backing up manually before opening a file.

The behavioiur happens on a variety of machines, always when saving the file (though the corruption's not apparent until you attempt to open the file again with the same or another machine).

Happens most with OS X Mavericks machines on the Windows file share, but also crops up on the quicker Qnap share, (SSDs and a dual Gbit ethernet, versus 7200rpm HDDs and a single Gbit ethernet link).

The network's all Gbit links with CAT6 cabling. It's an Active Directory environment.

At this point it's either Active Directory that's throwing up the issues or it's native to InDesign. No other types of file have ever corrupted though!

Don't think it's OS X - though I've only observed the corruption happening once (and I'm not 100% sure of the observation) with one of our Windows 8 machines.

Does anyone else suffer from this sort of problem? It's pretty routine for us - happens at least three or four times a week between 10 users...

• 1. Re: InDesign Error code: 5 - on Windows Server or Qnap
          M_Hasteley Level 1

So we have fixed this in our environment. I suspect it's a combination of things.

We upgraded the switch and teamed the server's NICs. That didn't appear to help on its own, though reduced the occurrence a bit.

We then upgraded the macs to Yosemite. Didn't really make much difference, but support for smb3 probably helped in conjunction with the next bit.

We got a new, windows 2012 r2 server, with a really fast, ssd raid array. No more error code 5.

All of this happened within a couple of months so it's hard to tell whether the incidence was dropping with the first two changes. And I haven't been able to test whether the new server was solely responsible as we haven't kept any macs on mavericks, or kept the old switch in play. It anyway mostly seemed to happen when we had very high traffic on the server (we're a publisher, so usually this would be on our press days - not ideal!).

Anyway, it's quite an expensive solution, but does have its upsides - everything else runs much more smoothly, and windows 2012 is a doddle (comparatively) to set up and administer!