1 2 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 7:57 AM by Grokhovski

serial number needed to try flex automation

Zackerel
      I'm running the Flex Automation Installer to install the plugins needed to evaluate use of QuickTest Professional for automated Flex 2 testing. The Installer requires entry of a Flex Data Services serial number. (The applications I want to test do not use Flex Data Services, so this seems an odd requirement for evaluation of the test tool.) How can I get the needed serial number? If this requires discussion with someone at Adobe who oversees my organization's Flex licenses, how would I determine who that is and how to contact him or her? Is it necessary to purchase a Flex Data Services license to evaluate QTP automated testing of Flex 2 apps?
        • 1. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
          tomxue
          Did you have got a good answer?
          • 2. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
            Zackerel Level 1
            Through the licensing group I was able to get access to a web page where we could see serial numbers for our licensed products. Fortunately, we had a license for Flex Data Services, so I got the needed number. Though I had repeated discussions about the issue with Customer Support and Tech Support, I did not learn of any solution for someone who lacks a Flex Data Services license.
            • 3. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
              bleabo@cisco.com
              It is comical talking to sales post and pre, support, and the numerous other Adobe employees that cannot figure out how to sell this product.

Is there anyway I can get working with Flex Automation? is there such a product or is it just an installer asking for a serial number that does not exist.

Flex automation requires
              "a valid Flex Data Services / LiveCycle Data Services ES Express serial number is required for installation of Flex Automation"

I've downloaded LiveCycle installed it and if its not on a server it works without a serial number, but I still need a serial number for the Flex Automation.

How do I purchase a serial number for LiveCycle Data Services?

thanks
              • 4. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                ChodaHead
                Has anyone found a way to try out the Flex Automation Package with the trial version of Flex builder?

After many hours on hold I talked to support, but all they came up with was that I need to purchase the Flex Data Services in order to obtain the license.

There must be a way to try out the Flex Automation Package without making a purchase?

Any help would be very appreciated.

• 5. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                  Zackerel Level 1
                  If HP and Adobe wished to prevent people from trying QTP for automated Flex GUI testing, the current system would be an effective mechanism. Not only do you need -- so far as anyone has been able to determine -- to get a license to an additonal product that you may not need for your Flex application development; you need to install plugins, copy libraries from here to there, recompile your application with the extra libraries, and deploy it with a wrapper, not to mention implementing the recommended guidelines for developing the application so as to make it work better with the test tool. Once you have all the infrastructure in place, and you've gotten a new trial license for your installation of the latest version of QTP, since the original license expired while you were trying to get everything else set up, you'll find that playback of test scripts does not work. It turns out that QTP 9.2 does not work for Flex testing. You need to go back and get QTP 9.1. But you can't find 9.1 on the regular download site -- you need to get a special url from HP sales. Then it turns out you can't access the 9.1 download location, because your HP support login and password don't work there. So it's back to sales to get a working username and password, then download a 338 Mb zip file, extract the contents, try to install it, and abort the installation when says it can't proceed because you already have a version of QTP installed. Uninstall 9.2, install 9.1, reboot for the nth time, reapply the trial license, reinstall the plugins, and you're ready to try the test tool. I'm pleased to report that after going through this ordeal, and disabling tabbing in IE 7, I was able to record and play back a minimal test. Now I just need to figure out how to rebuild our real Flex app with the extra libraries, deploy it, get a fresh trial license for QTP, and I'll be ready to start serious evaluation of QTP with Flex.
                  • 6. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                    ChodaHead Level 1
                    Hey Zackerel!

It would seem that we've been having the exact same experience while trying to implement functional testing for Flex.

It's been brutal to say the least.

Did you manage to find a serial number for the Flex Automation Installer?

Why won't any Adobe support/developers comment on this topic?
                    • 7. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                      bayani.portier
                      The funny thing is, even at the best of times it's a challenge to convince management to get out the tin of WD-40 to unstick the purse strings. I find it absolutely amazing that there is no way to get a trial run, albeit limited, to get a proof of concept for a product that we want to buy, (but must convince management of value), and, presumably, Adobe AND HP want to sell.

Why is Adobe being so quiet on this front? Please work with us to get a solution together so we can pay you money.
                      • 8. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                        automationguy
                        This is exactly why I am waiting for native Flex support for SilkTest which is what we use at my current employer. This should be available shortly. The Mercury (HP now) stuff has never been as good as the Segue stuff (Borland now). They always had more market share because they are targeted at the large corporate market where applications are more static and the QA staff is less sophisticated and tends to want to use record/playback tools. The thing is record/playback doesn't really work for the kinds of applications that you tend to see in most ISV environments as they are more dynamic. Having to deal with a large corporation like HP is also not something I would want to have to do on a regular basis. When the SilkTest stuff is released I would suggest you evaluate it.
                        • 9. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                          RaghuDas
                          Hi ,Did any one got the serial number for flex automation package ?

Thanks ,Raghu
                          • 10. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                            Hi Guys,

Even i am looking for serial number if any one have that pls do send the same to rams.chowdary@gmail.com

Thanks in Advance
                            Ram
                            • 11. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                              matt_chotin Level 3
                              Hi all,

If you use the Flex Builder 3 beta you will be able to get a trial of the automation package. We do not usually offer trials of automation with Flex 2 unless you work with the direct sales organization.

Matt
                              Adobe
                              • 12. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                dumb_drummer
                                Where would we find FlexBuilder 3 beta?
                                • 14. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                  I Got the license and Compiled all the library files (automation.swc,automation_agent.swc,qtp.swc) but still unable to identify the object,Can we do discriptive programming for flex automation.

Thanks,
                                  Ram
                                  • 15. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                    matt_chotin Level 3
                                    Yep, check out http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/samples/flex_store_v2/ for a good getting started example with links to the docs.
                                    • 16. serial number needed to try flex automation
                                      dumb_drummer Level 1
                                      After installation of Flex Builder 3 beta (eclipse version), the QTP add-in is located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in\sdks\moxie\QTP_plugin\QTP_Plugin_Installer.exe. After installation of the debug version of the FlashPlayer 9 Active X plugin ( http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html) and the QTP add-in, the QTP recorder doesn't recognize Flex controls. Is there something else I need to do, in order to get this to work?
                                      • 17. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                        ardivus
                                        I installed flex 3 beta and the automation package, and I tested QTP with http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/lcds/flexstore/flexstore.html, and QTP is recognizing elements in the flex... So I'm pretty sure the testing side is set up right, but when I try to compile the library files to test my own applications, I get "An internal error has occurred. Please check the error log", and "Unable to load SWC automation.swc".
                                        The log file has "!MESSAGE Uncaught exception in compiler" as well as all kinds of other info.
                                        I am trying to use the Project > Properties > Flex Compiler method.

A strange thing is that I can't locally reference the swc libraries. Flex Builder is here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3, and the SWCs are here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\moxie\frameworks\libs, so I tried -include-libraries "sdks\moxie\frameworks\libs\automation.swc" "sdks\moxie\frameworks\libs\automation_agent.swc" "sdks\moxie\frameworks\libs\qtp.swc" and I always get the error "unable to open 'sdks\moxie\frameworks\libs\... ...swc'" If I put the entire path, that error ceases, but I see the errors listed at the beginning of this post.

Is this a problem with the Beta 3 installation, or has anyone else had the problem?... or can someone see where I'm screwing things up?
                                        • 18. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                          Adobe/home/products
                                          Hi ,

I am sathish , i am also facing the same problem regarding the serial number.Did u get the solution for that?
                                          Please help me out from this problem.
                                          i expect a mail from u (sathishperumal@hexaware.com)
                                          Thanks in advance,
                                          Sathish
                                          • 19. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                            ardivus Level 1
                                            Well... in response to my post above, I finally figured out how to get the Flex 3 Beta libraries to work.

I was only adding the libraries from the "Compiler" section in Project > Properties. I found that the libraries also had to be added in the "Library Path" (Go to Project > properties > Flex Build Path > Library path)

I can now test my projects with QTP.

However, I did not figure out why I can not relatively reference the libraries in the Compiler section. I still must enter the full path to the library.
                                            • 20. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                              dumb_drummer Level 1
                                              Can someone explain how to setup for QuickTest Pro testing of Flex components in the 'explorer' sample application distributed with FlexBuilder 3 beta? That has a pretty comprehensive set of Flex controls. I have followed the instructions from Adobe, regarding the addition of the libraries to the compile but QuickTest Pro does not record any traffic against any Flex controls, though it does record traffic against regular HTML sites and the plugin seems to be installed as an add-in. This reminds me of the early days of Java, when Segue claimed they had an automated solution to Java that didn't work at all, either and we had to use HTML and javascript to test Java applets. If QuickTest Pro 9.2 isn't actually working (which is what HP/Mercury support actually told me last week), perhaps someone can suggest another viable method we can use for automated testing. We really need some way to test this other than manual during release cycles...
                                              • 21. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                ardivus Level 1
                                                dumb_drummer, when you record your test, does QTP just show the flex as an object, but does not identify any of the components that you are interacting with?

If so, (from my limited experience) I found that I had to first figure out if the problem was with the automation plugin and QTP, or if the problem was that the libraries were not properly being compiled into the project when I built it.

Do you have the same problem when you try to record a test here?: http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/lcds/flexstore/flexstore.html

I did not try QTP 9.2 because I saw someone post somewhere that they could not get QTP 9.2 to work and had to go back to QTP 9.1. I am using 9.1, and after installing the Automation package included with the flex 3 beta, I haven't had any problem with QTP seeing the components and their properties.
                                                • 22. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                  dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                  The problem I have been having is that nothing gets recorded after turning on the QTP recorder and subsequently exercising Flex components. I was, however, able to record against the app you mention, ardivus. This does not have all of the components I need to certify, though, so really need this app to work:
                                                  http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/sdk/explorer/explorer.html
                                                  but it does not. Any further ideas, so I can certify that this works for the controls we need to develop for our application?
                                                  • 23. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                    ardivus Level 1
                                                    dumb_drummer, the problem could be that the example you sent was not compiled with the automation libraries. Where did you find the example? Did the reference to it indicate that it was compiled with the automation libraries? (I'm not at work, so I don't have access to QTP to test it now, but I can try on Monday)

When I was trying to get it to work, I had similar problems... that example I sent you recorded fine, but the apps I compiled did not. I wasn't including the automation libraries right, but when I did, my apps worked.

If the example you referenced did not indicate that it was compiled with the libraries, you may have to create your own app and make sure the libraries are included.

Please see my earlier posts to see how I got past the problems I had when compiling, and let me know if I can clarify anything.
                                                    • 24. serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                      dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                      That app was not compiled with the automation libraries but when I compile it (it's also shipped with the FlexBuilder 3 BETA Samples) with the automation libraries, for example, adding the following to sdks/moxie/frameworks/flex-config.xml:

<include-libraries>
                                                      <library>/libs/automation.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/automation_agent.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/automation_dmv.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/datavisualization.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/flex.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/framework.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/qtp.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/rpc.swc</library>
                                                      <library>/libs/utilities.swc</library>
                                                      </include-libraries>

...and running the build.bat file in the 'eplorer' sample application directory I also could not record QTP 9.2 traffic against the app (a friend's advice was to add the kitchen sink, which I didn't have time to, but tried to add all the libraries i could get my hands on. Which files did you add? Am I missing one?
                                                      • 25. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                        dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                        Well, it turned out that running the compile from the commandline was the problem. It appeared that everything was going fine when doing so, but for some reason, QTP couldn't record traffic against the resulting app. I compiled from within the FlexBuilder 3.0 Beta IDE and I finally could record traffic with QTP. The reason I had not done this earlier was because of publicly documented instructions from Adobe:
                                                        If you are editing the Component Explorer sample code from within Flex Builder, you must still compile the individual samples using the command-line compiler. (as documented in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in\sdks\moxie\samples\explorer\README.html).
                                                        • 26. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                          dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                          My FlexBuilder 3 beta license expired. How can I renew it?
                                                          • 27. serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                            blackboxboom
                                                            Does the QTP 9.2 w/the Flex Beta 3 Automation package work? Any new comments? Would anyone know if the Automation Package using the QTP 9.2 will work w/the Life Cycle Data Services ES Express package? Does the LCDS ES Express expose the required license to deploy the Automation Package for Flex 2? Is QTP 9.2 compatible with the Flex 2 Automation Package?
                                                            • 28. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                              matt_chotin Level 3
                                                              Hi, QTP 9.2 should work with the FB 3 Beta package. The license for LCDS Express does not support QTP, you need a Departmental or Enterprise license, but I recommend using the FB 3 Beta for now.

The latest version of the automation package available for Flex 2 does support QTP 9.2.

Matt
                                                              Adobe
                                                              • 29. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                rakils
                                                                Hi Guys,
                                                                I have installed FDS, Automation libraries and Flex Plug-in for QTP.The Qtp 9.2 can recognize the flex objects at the link http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/lcds/flexstore/flexstore.html.But When I try to invoke our application, the QTP cannot recognize the Flex Objects.The Same Application works fine for my colleague..who had previous Flex development environment.Between the applicationc is compiled with the automation libraries....Have I missed something?.Please help me in resolving the problem.
                                                                Thanks in advance.
                                                                • 30. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                  dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                                  My latest experience is that QTP 9.2 works with LCDS 2.5. If you also have FB3 on the same machine, that will work, too. If you only have FB3, you need to compile in debug mode.
                                                                  • 31. serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                    blackboxboom Level 1
                                                                    I have the QTP configured with Flex and I am able to record most events. Attempting to record a mouse rollover results in the following error : “Error: Unable to find automation method 'flash.events.MouseEvent' for class 'name: FlexImage superClassName: FlexLoader”. My app is a simple image which applies two states to display the image. It utilizes the Automation.automationManager.recordAutomatableEvent method for the target event, within the “rollover” event handler. Also, I override the “replayAutomatableEvent(Event)” method calling the Automation.automationObjectHelper.replayMouseEvent() for the MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER event. The error propagates from the MouseMove event as reported in the stack trace –Click and ChangeFocus also are reported. I’ve added the rollover event to the “TEAFlex.xml” file. Its my understanding that any event outside of those defined in the “QTP Object Type” document for each control can be configured in the “TEAFlex.xml” file, for any control descending from UIComponent. I received a similar error after extending the ProductCatalogThumbnail ( Canvas ) class contained in the flex store code, though this error propogates from Scroll. Can you determine why ( in the first case ), the rollover is failing?

Stack trace:
                                                                    Error: Unable to find automation method 'flash.events.MouseEvent' for class 'name: FlexImage
                                                                    superClassName: FlexLoader
                                                                    event2descriptor: (Object)#0
                                                                    flash.events.FocusEvent|keyFocusChange = (mx.automation.qtp::QTPEventDescriptor)#1
                                                                    eventClassName = "flash.events.FocusEvent"
                                                                    eventType = "keyFocusChange"
                                                                    name = "ChangeFocus"
                                                                    flash.events.MouseEvent|click = (mx.automation.qtp::QTPEventDescriptor)#2
                                                                    eventClassName = "flash.events.MouseEvent"
                                                                    eventType = "click"
                                                                    name = "Click"
                                                                    flash.events.MouseEvent|mouseMove = (mx.automation.qtp::QTPEventDescriptor)#3
                                                                    eventClassName = "flash.events.MouseEvent"
                                                                    eventType = "mouseMove"
                                                                    name = "MouseMove"'.
                                                                    at mx.automation::AutomationManager/recordAutomatableEvent()
                                                                    at ViewStates_wt3/dispatchLowLevelEvent()
                                                                    at ViewStates_wt3/__soup_rollOver()
                                                                    at [mouseEvent]
                                                                    Text
                                                                    • 32. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                      Girishwill
                                                                      Hi

I have installed QTP 9.2, Flex Automation Package / builder /flex plug-in, QTP recognized the flex controls of sample application ( http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/lcds/flexstore/flexstore.html ): It worked after I ran build.bat from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\moxie\samples\explorer: below is the sample script:

Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexImage("image").Click
                                                                      Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexToggleButtonBar("_ToggleButtonBar1") .Change "Home"
                                                                      Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexToggleButtonBar("_ToggleButtonBar1") .Change "Products"
                                                                      Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexCanvas("Products").FlexPanel("Browse ").FlexCanvas("Nokia 6010").FlexImage("assets/pic/Nokia_6010.gif").Click

BUT when i tried to record/recognise the flex controls of our company's flex application to be automated, the whole application is recognised as a single object "MacromediaFlashPlayerActiveX" and the child controls are not recognised by QTP

How should I proceed further?, also please let me know the way to compile my application: then it may work for me

Thanks in advance

-Girish.

Text Text
                                                                      • 33. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                        Girishwill Level 1
                                                                        Hi

I have installed QTP 9.2, Flex Automation Package / builder /flex plug-in, QTP recognized the flex controls of sample application ( http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/lcds/flexstore/flexstore.html ): It worked after I ran build.bat from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\moxie\samples\explorer: below is the sample script:

Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexImage("image").Click
                                                                        Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexToggleButtonBar("_ToggleButtonBar1") .Change "Home"
                                                                        Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexToggleButtonBar("_ToggleButtonBar1") .Change "Products"
                                                                        Browser("FlexStore").FlexApplication("flexstore").FlexCanvas("Products").FlexPanel("Browse ").FlexCanvas("Nokia 6010").FlexImage("assets/pic/Nokia_6010.gif").Click

BUT when i tried to record/recognise the flex controls of our company's flex application to be automated, the whole application is recognised as a single object "MacromediaFlashPlayerActiveX" and the child controls are not recognised by QTP

How should I proceed further?, also please let me know the way to compile my application: then it may work for me

Thanks in advance

-Girish.
                                                                        • 34. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                          dumb_drummer Level 1
                                                                          Recording with QTP against anything (other than the "automation ready" flexstore application on the Adobe website) will not work unless you have a legitimate LCDS 2.5 license and follow the instructions on their website for enabling automation. After you get that to work, you also will be able to test FlexBuilder 3.0 BETA applications with QTP. Although Matt and other Adobe representatives will tell you that it "should" work, the truth is that it doesn't. Notice that they never say, "follow these steps and it will work" or "I've been able to get FB3 to work with QTP". I've spent countless hours following their suggestions so I'm hoping to save you the same agony of being strung along interminably (presumably until they finally actually support automation with 3.x). Trust me: their suggestions never cease but never actually tell you how to achieve success. You'll have to work something out with Adobe Sales regarding a license for LCDS 2.
                                                                          • 35. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                            adobeFlex_User

Hi I've tried to setup the flex automation package for QTP. I was able to setup QTP 9.2 to recognize the objects of the sample 'flexstore.html". But when I repeated the same steps which I did in my machine in some other machines, I'm unable to setup, ie it is recognizing as macromedia active x objects instead of flex objects. I did something during my first installation which I'm unable to reproduce during the successive installation process.

1. Installed the flex builder 3 standalone installation "flexbuilder3_b2_win_sa.exe" on d: drive of my machine.
                                                                            2. Opened the flex builder 3 and selected a project. Gave the flex compiler libraries path in Project -> properties -> Flex Compiler.
                                                                            -include -libraries "D:\Program_Files\adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation.swc" "D:\Program_Files\adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation_agent.swc" "D:\Program_Files\adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\automation_dmv.swc" "D:\Program_Files\adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.0.0\frameworks\libs\qtp.swc"

3. Since I've installed in D: drive, in my library path, the above 4 swc files were not referenced. So i also included them in Library path. (automation.swc, automation_agent.swc, automation_dmv.swc, qtp.swc)

4. Installed the flash player with Activex control.

5. installed QTP 9.2 on C: drive the default location.

6. Installed the QTP_plugin for flex.

7. After restarting the machine, when I invoked QTP, it displayed the flex plugin. I've selected the plugin and started QTP.

8. Opened up the sample flexstore.html application.

9. Now when I tried to recognize the objects, the objects are not recognized as "flex Objects" instead it is recognized as macromedia active x objects

If anyone has solution for this please help me out as I'm unable to find out the problem where I went wrong in setting it up.

Thanks.
                                                                            • 36. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                              pramodreddy
                                                                              hi.this is pramod.how did u got flex automation installer.did u purchase any product.where can we get the license number.pls reply immediately..
                                                                              • 37. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                                product=flex
                                                                                matt_chotin,
                                                                                This is a reply to your comment on 07/12/2007 12.03.07 AM.
                                                                                I am trying to install Flex Automated Testing files. I have already downloaded the installer (flexATWin.exe). But it is asking for Serial No. Then as per your above referenced comment I have downloaded "flexbuilder3_b2_win_sa_101107.exe" and installed it.
                                                                                Now my question is what is the next step? Still when I am trying to install Automated installer, it is asking for Serial no.
                                                                                • 38. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                                  product=flex Level 1
                                                                                  matt_chotin,
                                                                                  This is a reply to your comment on 07/12/2007 12.03.07 AM.
                                                                                  I am trying to install Flex Automated Testing files. I have already downloaded the installer (flexATWin.exe). But it is asking for Serial No. Then as per your above referenced comment I have downloaded "flexbuilder3_b2_win_sa_101107.exe" and installed it.
                                                                                  Now my question is what is the next step? Still when I am trying to install Automated installer, it is asking for Serial no.
                                                                                  • 39. Re: serial number needed to try flex automation
                                                                                    pramodreddy Level 1
                                                                                    how did u downloaded the flex automation installer. where could i get it.
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next