7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).

Vid_2011

Hello,

Initially the render line shows red and gray in some parts. When I render the movie the red sections do turn green, but the gray portions remain gray. Playback is fine while in the green areas, but stalls and becomes extremely choppy when passing over the gray areas (I've posted a phicture to help make my explaination a little clearer). Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,

Nadine.stallingRender.gif

• 1. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have red right after importing and before doing any work, your project does not match your video

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about setting your project to match your video in the 4th and 5th links

• 2. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vid_2011

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Without further information, there is nothing to fix. See explanation to follow.

The area of the Timeline over which the green line appears tells me that you

(a) edited original video which presented with no color line and the edit forced the red line which you "rendered" to green.

(b) Or, you had content that imported originally to present with the red line over the content and you rendered to green.

A video properties and project preset mismatch.

What are the properties of the Timeline over which your "gray" no colored line situation exists? At face value, they could be imported media that imported with no colored line over their contents, and you have not edited yet. Please detail the situation so we know the real situation.

Just in case recap....

no colored line over Timeline content (only seen on first drag before edit of content) when native format and project preset is set to match the properties of the source media. The program is telling you that you have the best possible preview. So, no rendering is needed or possible. If you edit this type, the indicator line turns red and rendering/edits/rendering thereafter involve only red green changes, no more no colored line.

green line over Timeline...you have the best possible preview, no rendering is needed or possible.

in versions earlier than 11, red line indicates need for Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview. After the Timeline rendering, the red line turns green with all the implications stated above.

In versions 11 and 12, the red Timeline render indicator is no longer and now is an orange line.

Please review and consider and please get back to us with more details as to what is in the tracks below the render indicator lines.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
              Vid_2011 Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response. Sorry, I should have explained. The red lines were only above the areas where I had added text or still images, which turned green no problem after being rendered. The video portions were either green or gray.  Do you have any ideas what the gray areas mean?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vid_2011

Please see my explanation of your gray areas.

It looks like our last posts arrived together into your thread.

As said, the gray areas suggest that what is under them does not require rendering to get the best possible preview and therefore rendering is needed nor available. Those gray areas should have red indicator lines once you edit the content over which they exist. Do they? And, then you should be able to render that content, turning the red line to green.

What are the properties of this video that is supposed to be below the gray lines. And, what project preset did you select for the project. We still do not know what version of Premiere Elements that you are working with nor the computer operating system on which it is running. If you talking about a red render indicator line, it has to be a version earlier than 11.

ATR

• 5. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
                  Vid_2011 Level 1

I have been using Premiere Elements 10 and had no issues until I upgraded my system from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. This is when the issues started. I thought it may be something to do with my Adobe sofware being too old for 8.1 so I purchased Premiere Elements 12. This proved to be more of a problem and I wasn't even able to open the file. Now I'm back in Premiere elements 10. The confusing thing is that the tracks below the green and gray render lines have been sliced but they are all part of the same video and have the same video settings.

• 6. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
                    Vid_2011 Level 1

I'm Sorry. I'm playing catch up with your comments. Thank you!!!!!! As per you comment about the line turning red when editing content over which they exsist, I added test text under part of the gray area and it did indeed turn red. I rendered and it turned green. I figured it should work for the rest of the video, so I added some text and stretched it so it spanned across the whole video. Both gray and green areas turned red. I then rendered and the whole line turned green. The video now plays smoothly.

Thanks again!!!

Nadine.

• 7. Re: Choppy playback, when render line showing gray (niether green or red).
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadine

Great news. Great job.

One of my manuevers with choppy video when rendering is not possible because the program is not throwing out the red indicator line is to force a render situation At those times, I right click the video, select Time Stretch, and change the Speed% to 99 (just to get an insignificant edit). That causes the program to throw out the red render line indicator. And, after rendering that to green, play back is often much better.

The need for this does not happen that often, but it is a nice perk when this type of situation occurs.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR