4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2007 2:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

Strange button.

Palonsson
      Hi!

I've got a strange problem. look here;

As fast I create a button or movieclip or whatever I cannot add actions to it. I only got a message with the text:
      Current selection cannot have actions applied to it.

I'm sure i've converted it to a button. I've also tried to restar flash and my computer, but nothing will work.
      Someone gotta clue?
        • 1. Re: Strange button.
          Level 7
          In ActionScript 3, buttons and other objects cannot have ActionScript
          applied to them when they are selected. ActionScript 3 can only exist
          within external ActionScript files or as timeline scripts.

If you want to add commands to a button, you need to change your publish
          settings to use ActionScript 2 or, if using ActionScript 3, you have to
          assign events from the timeline using addEventListener

"Palonsson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f2ab2e$n9b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi!
          >
          > I've got a strange problem. look here;
          >
          > As fast I create a button or movieclip or whatever I cannot add actions to
          > it.
          > I only got a message with the text:
          > Current selection cannot have actions applied to it.
          >
          > I'm sure i've converted it to a button. I've also tried to restar flash
          > and my
          > computer, but nothing will work.
          > Someone gotta clue?
          >

• 2. Re: Strange button.
            Damon Edwards Level 3
            is this AS3? someone else here was having the same problem, as ive not messed around in CS3 yet, the only solution i can offer is to save as flash 8 file. maybe you need to give everything an instance name and call the actions via an actions layer....
            • 3. Re: Strange button.
              Palonsson Level 1
              thank you, smart! I saved it as flash 8 file and everything worked out! 1000 thanks to you!
              • 4. Re: Strange button.
                Level 7
                Saving to Flash 8 forces the publish settings to change to AS2. Instead of
                saving as Flash 8, you could have changed your publish settings to AS2 using
                File > Publish Settings... [Flash tab] or clicking on the Settings... button
                in the property inspector when you have nothing selected in Flash. The
                property inspector will also then show you what version of ActionScript you
                are publishing to.

The next time you make a new FLA, make sure you select Flash File
                (ActionScript 2) or you will encounter the same issue.

"Palonsson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:f2abfn$no4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > thank you, smart! I saved it as flash 8 file and everything worked out!
                > 1000 thanks to you!