9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 7:36 AM by MattGillman

Random text boxes have disappeared

MattGillman

Hi there,

I have an InDesign document with about 280 pages in it. Suddenly random text boxes on pages have disappeared. It's not like the text frame is still there either, the whole frame and text is gone.

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 23.34.15.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 23.34.44.png

On the first screengrab you can see how the top page has all its text, yet the next page only has its heading. This is random disappearing act is interspersed throughout the last 40 pages of the document.

Whats weird is that when I try to move the pink image on the page with the missing text the whole board changes size. Yet if I move the lightbulb picture on the page above that has not been affected everything works normally!!

Whats going on? I think its some kind of glitch, there is now way i could of manually deleted text boxes on over 30 pages. This document in towards my university degree I need to solve the problem.

Matt

• 1. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is the text threaded, and does it still show in Story editor?

• 2. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared
            MattGillman Level 1

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by threaded?

This is one of the only examples that make me think the text is still there. The eyes of the skin page had a far amount of text so I had to extend the text to a second text box. The second text box did not disappear only the first ( that should have been under the title) Checked in story editor and the text is still there on this page so I'm guessing its still there on every page but I cant check it through story editor on the other pages because there is not text box.

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 08.46.02.png

Another thing I found weird is to do with the type cursor. The type cursor changes slightly when you hover of a text box because it identifies that there is thext there, this is normal right. when I move the type cursor over the area where the textbox should be it changes like normal but I just cant click into the hidden box, it just end up drawing a new one.

On another page in the example below the text cursor actually changes orientation when you hover over where the hidden textbox is

IMG_5968.jpegIMG_0039.JPG

I apologies for the poor images, you cannot screengrab your cursor

• 3. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared

Threaded text is text that flows from one frame into another. If you can see part of the text on aother page you can use that to open story editor.

The change in the cursor doesn't indicate that there is text, but rather that you are over a text frame. Try showing text threads from the View > Extras menu to see if they identify where the threads are going.

• 4. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared

And you should try exporting this file to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 5. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared
                  MattGillman Level 1

Thanks for the adive Peter but neither of those options seem to have worked

• 6. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared

I can look at it late this afternoon, I suspect, if you want to send it to me, but odds are not good that it can be fixed. I'll send you an upload link you can use, if you like.

• 7. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared
                      MattGillman Level 1

That would be good if you dont mind, thank you

• 8. Re: Random text boxes have disappeared

I was able to take a fast look, and I have good news. I've seen this before and it's recoverable.

Your text is still there, but there's some sort of bug that casuses the text frames to become infinitley large  and unselectable using normal methods. However, if you move to a sprad with a problem and issue the Cmd + A cammonad to Select All, then Hold eth e Shift Key and deslect everything you can see on the spread, the text frame will remain selected. You can then Press Cmd Y to access the story editor, copy the text and close the story editor windo, and press BackSpace or Delete to delte the existing frame. Now draw a new frame where it belongs and paste the text.

Graphic elements that have disappeared can probably also be selected the same way, and should be deleted and replaced.

I looked at the file history and noted two things: The file crashed and was recovered on March 25 (probably when the damage began), and you have not updated ID to 8.0.2. Please run the updater before you do any more work, then try my suggestions on a copy. If successful, export that file to .idml as a "belt and suspenders" approach to cleaning it up, then Save AS with a new name (don't overwrite the original file), and continue working with that one.