12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2007 1:23 AM by hwa-jun yu

director with vb

hwa-jun yu Level 1
      has anyone here tried to link director with vb?
      I tried to open a simple director movie (with only 1 internal cast) from vb and yes, it played very well.
      But when I tried with director movie that links to many external casts, vb just won't play it.

anyone? help?
        • 1. Re: director with vb
          Level 7
          Are you making a shockwave file to load in? I'm wondering if you might try
          putting all your files in a dswmedia folder before making the dcr file. Look
          up dswmedia on google.

Timm

"hwa-jun yu" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f2ttlt$rs0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > has anyone here tried to link director with vb?
          > I tried to open a simple director movie (with only 1 internal cast) from
          > vb
          > and yes, it played very well.
          > But when I tried with director movie that links to many external casts, vb
          > just won't play it.
          >
          > anyone? help?
          >

• 2. Re: director with vb
            hwa-jun yu Level 1
            Yes. I'm trying to load director movies in VB.
            I tried dswmedia, it won't work.
            These are what I'm doing:
            1. I put all my casts from D:\somefolder\ to D:\somefolder\dswmedia
            2. my dir is still located in D:\somefolder\
            3. there are also dll files (I used shockwave projector), movies folder, xtras folder inside D:\somefolder\
            4. I update my movie to protected movie
            5. open VB, include a component called Shockwave activeX Control
            6. get the component to open my dir and play it
            Player.SRC = "D:\somefolder\moviename.dxr"
            Player.Play
            but still, all I got is a black form. Nothing played.
            • 3. Re: director with vb
              Level 7
              > 1. I put all my casts from D:\somefolder\ to D:\somefolder\dswmedia
              > 2. my dir is still located in D:\somefolder\
              > 3. there are also dll files (I used shockwave projector), movies folder, xtras
              > folder inside D:\somefolder\
              > 4. I update my movie to protected movie
              > 5. open VB, include a component called Shockwave activeX Control
              > 6. get the component to open my dir and play it
              > Player.SRC = "D:\somefolder\moviename.dxr"
              > Player.Play
              > but still, all I got is a black form. Nothing played.

Sprinkle some alerts through your movie so that you can see that it's
              running.
              on startMovie
              alert "startMovie"
              end
              • 4. Re: director with vb
                hwa-jun yu Level 1
                nope.
                still nothing happened there.
                so I guess no one has ever tried to link director with vb?
                I've tried linking flash swf with vb.
                one whole project is controlled with vb. and there's no problem (except some flash player version issue).
                But as far as I see, controlling director shockwave requires other technique that's different with that of flash.
                • 5. Re: director with vb
                  Level 7
                  > nope.
                  > still nothing happened there.

You mean no alerts are thrown?

> so I guess no one has ever tried to link director with vb?

I've not done this myself, but I know it's possible. I'd be tempted to
                  refer to it as "embedding" rather than linking though.

> I've tried linking flash swf with vb.
                  > one whole project is controlled with vb. and there's no problem (except some
                  > flash player version issue).

Are you sure you have a match between the version of Director used to
                  publish the file and the AX control you've embedded into your VB app?
                  • 6. Re: director with vb
                    Level 7
                    It's more common to embed VB into Director using activeX.

Maybe it's a path issue and when it opens the dxr file, it's path is where
                    the vb exe file is. Also, just for kicks try making a shockwave .dcr file
                    instead of .dxr.

news:f30e77$616$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > nope.
                    > still nothing happened there.
                    > so I guess no one has ever tried to link director with vb?
                    > I've tried linking flash swf with vb.
                    > one whole project is controlled with vb. and there's no problem (except
                    > some
                    > flash player version issue).
                    > But as far as I see, controlling director shockwave requires other
                    > technique
                    > that's different with that of flash.
                    >

• 7. Re: director with vb
                      hwa-jun yu Level 1
                      uh, sorry Sean.
                      I am just used with the term "link".
                      well I think I completely agree with you, "embed" is the most proper term.

Nope, no alerts are thrown at all.
                      The component I'm using is : SwDir.dll (built 10.1.4.20). It says "Shockwave ActiveX Control". It can't be wrong, I think.

tr, I've tried with both dxr and dcr. Which both are not working.
                      • 8. Re: director with vb
                        Level 7
                        And the AX control doesn't have any methods to query it for errors?
                        Does it help if you place the player libraries in the same folder as
                        either the dxr or you VB app (dirapi.dll, iml32.dll, proj.dll, mscvrt.dll)?
                        • 9. Re: director with vb
                          Level 7
                          Is your startmovie handler in a script in one of the external casts?

news:f332u4$e5v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > uh, sorry Sean.
                          > I am just used with the term "link".
                          > well I think I completely agree with you, "embed" is the most proper term.
                          >
                          > Nope, no alerts are thrown at all.
                          > The component I'm using is : SwDir.dll (built 10.1.4.20). It says
                          > "Shockwave
                          > ActiveX Control". It can't be wrong, I think.
                          >
                          > tr, I've tried with both dxr and dcr. Which both are not working.
                          >

• 10. Re: director with vb
                            _eyesonly
                            It could be that lingo does not know how to respond to VB due to typecasting errors:
                            http://www.xtramania.com/Documentation/VbScriptXtra/Usage2/Common/Typecasting/

the link above does offer a possible solution for a price$$, the VB xtra maps VB datatypes to lingo types, you are allowed to try it out for free but it will include a nag screen,

another thought is that the the shockwave control you are embedding could be older than the version of director you are authoring with.
                            • 11. Re: director with vb
                              Level 7
                              > It could be that lingo does not know how to respond to VB due to typecasting
                              > errors

No, the OP isn't trying to communicate Director <-> VB, but is rather
                              hosting a Shockwave/Director movie /inside/ his/her VB app via the
                              ActiveX control

> another thought is that the the shockwave control you are embedding could be
                              > older than the version of director you are authoring with.

As stated:
                              The component I'm using is : SwDir.dll (built 10.1.4.20).
                              If he/she is authoring with a newer version of Director then he/she must
                              be on the Beta team - and the next release must be a lot closer than
                              anyone might have been lead to believe! Since this is unlikely, and as
                              Shockwave is built to be backward-compatible, the control cited should
                              cope with files authored in versions back to 6, if not earlier.

• 12. Re: director with vb
                                hwa-jun yu Level 1
                                > Does it help if you place the player libraries in the same folder as
                                either the dxr or you VB app (dirapi.dll, iml32.dll, proj.dll, mscvrt.dll)?

Nope, sean.
                                I don't think putting the AX inside the same folder as the app will help, cos' it works okay with director movies with internal cast. It just won't work with movies with external cast files.

> Is your startmovie handler in a script in one of the external casts?
                                yup. It is in an external cast called modules.cst

> the link above does offer a possible solution for a price$$, the VB xtra maps VB datatypes to lingo types, you are allowed to try it out for free but it will include a nag screen,
                                So, what's this VB xtra?

> If HE/SHE is authoring with a newer version of Director then HE/SHE must
                                be on the Beta team.......
                                I'm a HE, Sean.
                                Well, korean names are hard to tell.