5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 5:49 AM by Peter Spier

Designer & editor collaboration workflow

mr buffy Level 1

Hi All

First time post so here goes... I am doing freelance IT work for a small magazine publishing house and they want a solution for designers and editors to work on the same files without any corruption issues, which has hit them in the past. Currently they are using InDesign CS5 (most staff) & CS6 on the Mac. Is InCopy the ideal solution?

Should they completely move to CS6? They don't want to move to CC.

Any pointers would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers, Paul

• 1. Re: Designer & editor collaboration workflow
          Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Yeah InCopy is aimed for such user in which group of people want to acess different segments of same file.

So, inCopy is ofcourse a good solution. CS6 has quiet much new funcionality to make things work much easier for user, so upradation is always ancouraged.

Just out of curosity, There are immense new enhancements done after CS6 , is there any specific reason to not upgrade to CC?

• 2. Re: Designer & editor collaboration workflow
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Everyone should be using the same version of ID (whether that's CS5, CS6 or somethign else) to avoid issues with text reflow or lost features when moving through .idml.

If the desision is made to upgrade to CS6 for those users on CS5 (or to move to CC, for that matter), I strongly recommend that existing CS5 files be saved as .idml for conversion in the newer version rather than directly converting the .indd files. I don't know what sort of corruption issues you've had in the past, but we see occasional reports (too many) of problems with directly converted files suddenly failing.

• 3. Re: Designer & editor collaboration workflow
              mr buffy Level 1

main reason for putting off upgrade to CC is the new pricng model, though they do realise it will need to be done eventually.

• 4. Re: Designer & editor collaboration workflow
                mr buffy Level 1

corruption issues  caused by multiple users inavertantly opeing the same file on the server and saving... OOPS!!! I worked as IT Manger for a publishing house in London serveral years ago and an "in use" folder policy was stricktly enforced, to ensure only one user had the production file open, before the days of InCopy.

Thanks for the feed back thus far.

Cheers, Paul

• 5. Re: Designer & editor collaboration workflow
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That sort of corruption is not supposed to be possible (ID uses lock files to prevent it), but there was a bug in the first release of one version (sorry-don't remember which) that did allow this on the Mac platform. Make sure ID is updated to the latest patch.