10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2007 9:43 AM by rich.leach

DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL

rich.leach Level 1
      Hi Gang-

I ran into a critical issue yesterday when using Dreamweaver (CS3) to do a "Find" on a string of text.... I did a "ctrl-F" to look for a string of text inside of a file, and performed a search using DW's source code and text options. The string is present in a file, however none of the ways that I could execute a search/find with DW yielded a positive search result; DW search results came up empty.

This presented a very uncomfortable situation that I was forced into with a support group, so much so they mandated that I download and install CFEclipse (the search result came back positive with CFEclipse). More importantly, it made me look foolish that a simple search gave wrong results and consequently killed several hours of my time, and others as well.

I was trying to find a simple string of text "Your attempt was successful." I copied and pasted the search term, tried shorter strings and ultimately the search failed. The file that I needed to find was a ".properties" file - is there something special I need to know to have DW handle these file types? Are there any other file types that will hang me up in the same way?

Thanks for your help,

Rich

• 1. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
          Level 7
          rich.leach wrote:
          > I ran into a critical issue yesterday when using Dreamweaver (CS3) to do a
          > "Find" on a string of text.... I did a "ctrl-F" to look for a string of text
          > inside of a file, and performed a search using DW's source code and text
          > options. The string is present in a file, however none of the ways that I could
          > execute a search/find with DW yielded a positive search result; DW search
          > results came up empty.

Was the file open, or were you trying to search a site? If the file was
          open, failure to find the string might have been caused by leaving the
          Use regular expression checkbox selected.

> The file that I needed to find was a ".properties" file - is
          > there something special I need to know to have DW handle these file types? Are
          > there any other file types that will hang me up in the same way?

Try adding .properties to the list of filename extensions in Properties
          > File types/Editors > Open in code view.

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
          Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
            rich.leach Level 1
            no, the file was not open, and I tried all of the various search options available in the DW Find feature, especially after this issue was discovered. And if DW customers are required to register particular file types with DW in order to have the application successfully search those files, that would warrant a special instruction set or at least a dialog box somewhere in DW, wouldn't you agree???

Rich
            • 3. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
              Level 7
              rich.leach wrote:
              > no, the file was not open, and I tried all of the various search options
              > available in the DW Find feature, especially after this issue was discovered.
              > And if DW customers are required to register particular file types with DW in
              > order to have the application successfully search those files, that would
              > warrant a special instruction set or at least a dialog box somewhere in DW,
              > wouldn't you agree???

This is an issue that I have never come across before. You're using a
              non-standard filename extension, so it doesn't particularly surprise me
              that Dreamweaver ignored it. Have you tried entering .properties in the
              list of filename extensions, as I suggested? If that works, your problem
              is solved. All that's needed is for the documentation to be made more
              explicit.

On the other hand, if your filename extension is likely to be in
              widespread use, perhaps it's something that should be added to the
              standard list of files that Dreamweaver handles. Submit a feature
              request to the Dreamweaver team.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
              • 4. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                rich.leach Level 1
                I went to Edit>Preferences - File types / editors and added ".properties" to the list of file types in the Open in code view dialog.
                I even restarted DW, and it still does not yield any search results! This is critical, and unfortunately forces me to abandon my use of DW with my production code....

I need to know that my searches get executed as expected; do you have any alternatives or work arounds for this?

I will enter a feature request to the Dreamweaver team on this, but regrettably, I'm finished with DW!!!!

Thanks for your help,

Rich
                • 5. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                  Level 7

> I went to Edit>Preferences - File types / editors and added ".properties" to
                  > the list of file types in the Open in code view dialog.

You need to add it in other places.
                  http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_16410&sliceId=2

take notice of where the files to edit are for your os. You edit the files
                  for You as a User, not the files that are in Programs & Settings.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                    rich.leach Level 1
                    could you please check the link you posted, it errors out, can't connect error.... thanks.

Rich

• 7. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                      Level 7
                      "Alan" wrote
                      > it opens for me here-
                      >
                      > http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_16410

we use rather inventive file extensions for files that are only meant to
                      hold code that we copy paste throughout our network. Every time I install a
                      new DW version I also use the method described in that tech note (I've had
                      the original info years ago from someone here in the NG). After adding the
                      new extension, a one time 5 minute job, DW searches the files just fine,
                      even with file extensions like .dumb
                      :-)

Barbara

• 8. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                        rich.leach Level 1
                        it turns out that I had to add the ".properties" file type to the Extensions.txt file.

I can not begin to tell you how much of a pain in the neck this has been, DW documentation most certainly needs to be updated with this little gem.... this one cost me time and dollars. Sure, maybe I was wrong to assume DW would automatically search ALL files in a folder, but am I the only one???

Thanks to all who helped with this issue, I'd say Adobe owes me for this one but in fact it is this very generous and knowledgeable community who deserves the virtual beer. Drinks on me. ;-)

Rich
                        • 9. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                          Level 7
                          rich.leach wrote:
                          > it turns out that I had to add the ".properties" file type to the
                          > Extensions.txt file.
                          >
                          > I can not begin to tell you how much of a pain in the neck this has been,

It's a pain in other parts of the anatomy, too. ;-)

I hope that you submitted a feature request, as I suggested earlier.
                          Several people, including myself, have been trying to persuade the
                          Dreamweaver development team to make it possible to register new file
                          types through the Preferences panel. It takes about a minute to do it in
                          a program like PhpED, but involves a lot of messing around in Dreamweaver.

The more people who request this feature, the more likely something is
                          to be done about it.

--
                          • 10. Re: DW Search not seeing file - CRITICAL
                            rich.leach Level 1
                            i entered a bug report against this issue. Thanks again for your help.

Rich