9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 11:01 AM by Joelman

Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52

Joelman Level 1

For some reason every time I try to render with NONE compression the render crashes and I get the following disclaimer. See Attached.

I have trouble shot this the best i can. From eliminating files in my project to finally creating a new project and simply animating a square around the frame to see if it was my project. It crashed and  I got the same disclaimer. Any thoughts?Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 1.40.02 PM.png

• 1. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, install the After Effects 12.2.1 bug-fix update.

Regarding your specific issue:

Show a screenshot of your output module settings.

Why are you trying to output using "NONE"? What are you intending to do with this movie?

Do you get the same failure when you use the PNG or Animation video codec in QuickTime for output? (Those are both lossless encoding schemes.)

Do other QuickTime features work?

What version of QuickTime? What operating system? Any third-party (e.g., BlackMagic, Matrox, AJA) I/O devices installed?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
            Joelman Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for responding.

1. I will install the AE bug-fix update that you recommended.

2. Attached are the various screen shots for my render.

3. Some of my clients want the best resolution quality prior to them making their compressions. So they will request none.

4. The movie successfully renders in animation / png / Tiff  without any problems.

5. Quicktime works fine. Version 10.3

6. Operating system is Apple  10.9.2 Maverick

7. No third party codex

best,

Joel

good design. it starts with a message.

m, inc.

jmarkusdesign.com

• 3. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot attached screenshots if you respond to the forum by email. Try going to the forum and adding the screenshots there, maybe we can solve the problem.

• 4. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                Joelman Level 1

Rick, Here are the screen grabs.

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 11.38.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-30 at 1.40.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-01 at 11.38.27 AM.png

• 5. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

3. Some of my clients want the best resolution quality prior to them making their compressions. So they will request none.

4. The movie successfully renders in animation / png / Tiff  without any problems.

If your clients are requesting "None", then you shold educate them that PNG and Animation are mathematically lossless codecs---i.e., they are 100% perfect at retaining all image data. There is no advantage to using no compression.

• 6. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                    Joelman Level 1

Todd,

1. You are right the PNGs would definitely be useful. However, to best of my knowledge I believe you cannot get audio with pngs sequence files.

2. My broadcast clients like ESPN, request the none compression because it will be the cleanest version for final cut and avid editing along with having the audio and embedded alphas.

Once their editors complete their final version they may compress them in various formats for on-air and non-on-air uses. Hence we try to minimize compressing a already compressed movie.

One of the reasons if you watch closely on TV you may see banding in gradations or in some colors is because of over compressing footage and graphics.

3. You are correct that PNG and NONE are one and the same. For my online clients rendering in animation and compressing them either in H264 or other formats is perfectly fine.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Joel

m, inc.

jmarkusdesign.com

• 7. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Joelman wrote:

You are right the PNGs would definitely be useful. However, to best of my knowledge I believe you cannot get audio with pngs sequence files. 

He's not suggesting a PNG sequence. He's suggesting Quicktime with the PNG codec. This does carry audio (and can carry an Alpha channel too, if need be).

Joelman wrote:

My broadcast clients like ESPN, request the none compression because it will be the cleanest version for final cut and avid editing along with having the audio and embedded alphas.

Once their editors complete their final version they may compress them in various formats for on-air and non-on-air uses. Hence we try to minimize compressing a already compressed movie.

As Todd has mentioned, Quicktime with the PNG codec is uncompressed. The result is mathematically identical.

I would understand your reticense if he had suggested Avid's DNxHD as it's visually lossless, but still somewhat compressed, but Quicktime with the PNG codec is mathematically lossless.

• 8. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> 1. You are right the PNGs would definitely be useful. However, to best of my knowledge I believe you cannot get audio with pngs sequence files.

I did not suggest PNG sequences.

I suggested the PNG video codec in a QuickTime container.

>

2. My broadcast clients like ESPN, request the none compression because it will be the cleanest version for final cut and avid editing along with having the audio and embedded alphas.

This is based on a misunderstanding.

ZERO information is lost when encoding using a lossless codec. That's why they're called "lossless". Animation and PNG are examples of lossless codecs. You could compress and uncompress these files through an infinite number of generations and not lose a single iota of image information.

Both PNG and Animation  include alpha channels. You can also have audio in a QuickTime movie made with these video codecs.

• 9. Re: Render Crashing in AE CC 12.2.0.52
                          Joelman Level 1

Todd,

Didn’t know about the PNG Video codec. Great! I will definitely try it.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

Cheers!

Joel

m, inc.

jmarkusdesign.com