2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 2:57 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Adjusting canvas size

toodlepip1

I am new to photoshop cc and have just bought it.  Having never used it before, I don't know if I am doing it the right way.  I recently joined a photo club and am submitting digital images which have to be 1400 x 1050 and the canvas size has to be 1400 x 1050.  I have tried to do this in photoshop cc, but it is not saving properly.  I am going to image - canvas size  and then  adding the dimensions I need and then trying to save, but it is not saving.  Please help

Thanks

Jane

• 1. Re: Adjusting canvas size
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

First of all 1400 x1050 is a 4:3 aspect ratio image.  Many point and shoot cameras capture 4:3 aspect ratio image and also have a 16:9 Aspect Ratio option.  Most DSLR cameras capture a 3:2 aspect ratio image and some will also capture 16:9 video.

If your image has a 4:3 aspect ratio you can resample resize it to 1400x1050 without distortion.  If they do not have a 4:3 aspect ratio and you resize them to 1400x1050 the image will distort.  To Avoid distortion you must fist make a 4:3 aspect ratio crop of your image then resize the crop to 1400x1050.. It is possible to use the crop tool to do both in a single operation.

Also save a copy of the file you get from your camera. That file contains the best pixels you will ever have for the image.  Its your digital negative.

• 2. Re: Adjusting canvas size
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Jane, image size is something that causes more issues in camera clubs than any other, and I think they have not been helping you by mentioning canvas size.

You should be using Image Size, (Ctrl Alt i) 

1. Click to check Resample
            2. If the box next to Width is in cm or inches, change it to Pixels
            3. Enter 1400 in the width.
            4. _IF_ that leaves the height more than 1050, then enter 1050 for height.  This will make the width less than 1400, but the rules for Projected Images usually state a Maximum of 1400 wide, or 1050 high, so you have to use the appropriate one.

Ignore the resolution setting.  It is irrelevant for projected images.

All you have to do now is knock them dead by winning all the competitions   But please don't get disheartened if the judges make stupid comments.  Most camera club competition judges make a LOT of VERY stupid comments. 

Image Size.JPG