4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 4:14 PM by A.T. Romano

EOS 70D .mov to DV-AVI to DVD quality loss problem

aludog Level 1

Working on a PC with Windows 7 and Premier Elements 12. I am a new user and learning many quirks of this program the hard way.

I imported .mov 1920 X 1080 HD video shot form an EOS 70D onto three time lines because it was many hours of footage.

New Project -available presets = DSLR - 1080p - DSLR 1080p30 - X on Force Selected Project setting on this project

Codec:  avc1     H.264  source video   16:9 Progressive HD Video     NOTE: the video is actually 29.97 frames/second but I chose 30fps because I read that in the camera book, but afterwards Gspot confirmed it as 29.97

PE 12 gave me no Capture choices, but I found that after editing and it is set on DV.

Edited each down to about 1/2 hour then discovered I could not copy and paste from one time line to another.

SO, I read on one of these forums to export each timeline to DV-AVI because the end product was going to be a DVD anyway.

So I used "publish+share" then "computer" then "AVI - use for editing in Adobe Premier Elements" and then Presets - DV NTSC Widescreen

Frame size - 720 X 480

FPS - 29.97

Then I imported the three AVI files onto one time line and edited it down to rough cut and published+shared to Disc - Presets NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Quality - Highest

The Quality sucks. The horizontal lines ring, the waves in the ocean ring....its terrible.

How can I fix this without completely starting over?

Thanks

JB

• 1. Re: EOS 70D .mov to DV-AVI to DVD quality loss problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do understand that DV-AVIs and DVDs have less than one-fourth the resolution of high-def 1080p video, right?

You also understand that 1080p video is non-interlaced, which DV-AVI and DVD video is interlaced -- it is designed to be viewed on a TV, not a computer -- and so will appear to have horizontal lines through it and will appear blurry when played on a computer, particularly if it is viewed full-screen?

You also don't say what media player you're playing your DVD with, but the free download VLC Player does a much better job at interpolating interlaced video on a computer than, say, Windows Media Player.

That said, does it still "suck"? Have you checked out our FAQ on DVD resolution?

• 2. Re: EOS 70D .mov to DV-AVI to DVD quality loss problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

JB

I would ask you to use the following Premiere Elements 12 workflow and then let us know the quality of your final DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

1. Set your Premiere Elements 12 project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR1080p30@29.97

You seem OK on the details for the manual set so I will not go into them unless you ask.

2. Import your source media and do your edits. Add menu markers if menus for the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

3. (a) If this is going to be one of those instances where you want to edit smaller segments of a larger project in separate projects and then combine the outputs into one grand project, then....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H264 1920 x 1080p30.

The grand project into which these outputs are imported has a project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

The creation of the DVD-VIDEO widescreen is accomplished

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

(b) if this in not going to be an "a" type project, the move forward from "2", ending with

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

We will be watching for your results.

I do not believe that it is a given that the smaller segments/larger project workflow goes to a DV AVI output in all cases. More on that later.

ATR

• 3. Re: EOS 70D .mov to DV-AVI to DVD quality loss problem
              aludog Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks for your reply.

I played test DVD on a macbook Pro with a DVD Player, played it on a PC with VLC, another PC with windows 7 media player and on a sony DVD player and flatscreen HD TV.

Yes, VLC and the TV DVD player do look better, but the chrome pipes on the boats and all the ocean shots ring far more than "normal".

I produced (not edited) a national USA TV show shot entirely on these boats and on the ocean for about 8 years, and I've gone back and looked none of the episodes ring like this - even the ones we have on line.

I've also gone back on the mac and looked at the source video clips that ring especially on the DVD, and they are fine when viewed with the latest QT player, so the source clips are fine.

As mentioned, my position in production has never been editor, so I'm not very tech savvy, but I would suggest to your developers that ADOBE change the drop down window on the PC version of PE 12 "publish+share" tab so that the AVI tab does not explicitly say "for editing with PE", as this leads one to choose this by default.

I do remember from when our show moved through the Beta/SD/HD revolution that we were shooting in HD before we were required by the network to deliver in HD, so we also edited in HD and output final masters in SD for broadcast - in other words work in the highest definition so you can output in any format.

I believe this may be what ATR is referring to, and I wish I had remembered this at the time, but when I was unable to cut and paste from time line to time line (as we often did in Final Cut) I started reading about what to do to merge the 3 time lines and part of it was good advice, and part of it not.

I have PE 12 on the macbook and a PC, and notice that the "publish+share" tab does not have the AVI setting as I believe Mac is Quicktime based.

Since the camera I shot this project on outputs QT .mov HD Clips, I think another future solution is to only edit this footage on the Mac as there will be no codec or format change along the way. Is this correct interpretation?

Unfortunately, I started the DVD project before acquiring the Mac, so I am just trying to finish that up before shifting over for other output versions.

Another item I don't understand about PE 12 is why I have to exit from the program to work on different time lines. Why can't we switch between them, even if we can't cut and paste between them? Or at least, Close one and Open another instead of having to exit and shut down PE 12 and restart?

Is there a way to do this that I am missing too?

Thanks!

jb

• 4. Re: EOS 70D .mov to DV-AVI to DVD quality loss problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jb

Regarding

Another item I don't understand about PE 12 is why I have to exit from the program to work on different time lines. Why can't we switch between them, even if we can't cut and paste between them? Or at least, Close one and Open another instead of having to exit and shut down PE 12 and restart?

SG will be along shortly to respond fully to your lastest post, but I would like to address this last point.

You cannot have two versions of the same Premiere Elements version installed on one computer. And, one version is not going to open two different projects at the same time. So, if you have created projects 1 and 2 on separate occasions and 1 is opened, you will need to save/close 1 if you want to open project 2.

Can you envision, for the same project with the same project preset, creating and working with a Timeline sectioned to work on two different Timeline content?

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR